Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

IHC 3 HP Vertical Famous

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1986 times

Old 12-21-2012, 11:07:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,419 Times in 847 Posts
Default IHC 3 HP Vertical Famous

As some of you might know I picked up the 3 HP vertical Famous Victor with the Badly Bent Crankshaft from the Smith auction at Baldwin WI.

The governor side flywheel wobbled about 2 1/2 inches +. I took the flywheel off slid a old brass bushing over the end and applied a 20 pound hammer to the crankshaft to get it straight enough so I could get it out of the main bearing. The engine then ran OK except for the 100 year Wear syndrome.

To make a Long story short I took the crank out and put the crank in the press and got it quite straight and after a little peening in non bearing areas I am happy with it. A square on the flywheel bore proves it is fairly straight. I will find out after I get it back on.

The cam gear shaft was quite worn as was the bore in the cam gear. I reamed the gear so it has a decent bore and made a new shaft.

Now my question is, Did they have an oil hole in the cam/eccentric gear? Did someone forget to drill mine ? The engine dates to 1910 and by that time I thought IHC would have found out it needed lubrication and slopping oil on each end seems inadequate to me. I'm thinking I will drill an oil hole.

The ring grooves seem decent and I've ordered a set of rings as the originals had little tension.

And another question, Is the Base the same on the portable engine and the Victor except for the holes for the fuel pipes ?

Last edited by Ken Majeski; 12-21-2012 at 11:10:29 PM. Reason: Add another question
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2012, 09:55:54 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: IHC 3 HP Vertical Famous

OK, Being Nobody knows anything about the Cam Gear Lubrication or the Base Maybe Nobody oils their Cam gear ? Thats why they are worn out.

How about the Breather casting on the side of the crankcase. Is there supposed to be a baffle in there or is mine complete as it is with no baffle ?

BTW, I put the crank in and the flywheels back on and the injured side is now the Good side with hardly any runout at all

Pictures from the auction site are available here http://smithsales.auctionflex.com/sh...enum=1&lang=En

Results from the whole auction are available here http://smithsales.auctionflex.com/sh...enum=1&lang=En

Last edited by Ken Majeski; 12-26-2012 at 10:06:07 PM. Reason: Add Link
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken Majeski For This Post:
Old 12-26-2012, 10:20:13 PM
Registered

Your base looks the same as mine minus the holes for the fuel tank so take that for what it's worth. My cam gear also has an oil hole on the inside hub of the gear. Your breather/water pump mount appears complete as is but I know I bolted mine on over the flat cover. But I have 2 holes up high on the crankcase that vent. My engine is a 1909.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason W For This Post:
Old 12-26-2012, 10:38:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanks Jason. I believe my water pump is correct but the eccentric strap is homemade and the mount isn't correct as it's made up from angle iron. I think mounts are available or I can fabricate one much better than they did.

One must keep in mind that this was probably a 1950's restoration and correct parts weren't available back then or if they were nobody knew about them.

I am leaning toward buying a new tank and putting it in the base as the skidded engines had.

From what information I can find the Victor was for inside buildings with an outdoor or underground tank.

The trappy tank hanging on the skids where the battery box should be just don't turn me on

Last edited by Ken Majeski; 12-26-2012 at 11:37:37 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:22:40 PM
Registered

I just got done with my fuel system. There is just a large board cut to fit inside the base of the engine and that was nailed to the skid. I made my fuel tank from about a 2.5" x 6" piece of rectangular tubing. Welded some ends on it and drilled and tapped it for fittings. And plumbed it all in near as I could figure out from original prints. You don't see it tucked in there anyway and it's nice because a gallon of fuel will fill the tank rather than get you just enough to run for a few min.

Still trying to figure out what to do with my waterpump eccentric as well. I have some mismatched stuff there.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:08:28 AM
Registered

Ken, was that just a few weeks ago and you have a red truck and trailer? I was on 94 behind a red truck and trailer loaded with some interesting engines a couple weeks ago. I was wondering what they were and if the owner was a Smokstaker.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:31:57 AM
Subscriber

Nope, I went up and got it on the 11th of Dec. I did not go on 94.

The guys there said engines went to many different places so I geuss you could have met most anybody on 94.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:34:08 AM
Registered

On my 1909 2 HP, there is no baffle in the breather. The instruction and parts manual says to look in the opening to make sure some oil is being splashed in there to insure that the engine has sufficient oil. Mine has an oil hole in the inside part of the cam gear for oiling the shaft, but that didn't keep mine from wearing out the shaft. Mine is on the original skids and cart, and had the original gas tank. The tank just sits on the boards of the skid and is held in place due to its close fit in the base and the fuel piping. My tank leaked and was full of sand, so I got a new one from John Wanat, The old one was made of much heavier metal than I expected, and was not rusted through, but was leaking where a soldered seam had cracked. I cleaned it out. resoldered the seams and then sealed it with some of Lee Pedersen's sealer, and will put it back in if I ever take the engine off the skids again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Martin For This Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 11:06:01 AM
Subscriber

My cam gear now has a 5/32 oil hole and it came out in the hollow spot in the middle just like I wanted.

The way the engine rotates it must throw most of the oil away from the vent casting. It just looked like there may be a place for a sheet metal baffle in there.

I've made quite a few tanks for Fuller&Johnson engines out if 2 U shaped pieces of 1/8 inch sheet steel and have yet to have any rust problems with them.

I don't believe todays galvanized steel has the quality of the old stuff so might go that route or use a piece of tubing like Jason did. No need to have a large quantity of Gasoline left over getting stale when a gallon will run the engine for a weekend.

As long as we are on the subject what size wood are the skids made out of ? I know the length and width of the finished skid but not the size of the timbers.

Last edited by Ken Majeski; 12-27-2012 at 11:11:40 AM. Reason: Add More