Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

PE-75-B Homelite generator

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 3958 times

Old 03-07-2004, 04:54:38 AM
Heath Daily

Default PE-75-B Homelite generator

Just acquired an older generator with the following markings:

Signal Corps Power Unit PE-75-B Serial Number 1107 Order No. 594-CHI-41 Built by Homelite

I was hoping that I might find some information as to it's origin, age, and original usage. Seems free and still compresses good, so I'll probably try to fire it up in the next couple of days. Is there any good place to look for a manual for this unit? Found quite a few on E-bay but who knows if they're the right ones????? Anything I should pay attention to before I attempt to start it? I'd hate to break it through ignorance.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2004, 04:56:48 AM
Heath Daily

Default Re: PE-75-B Homelite generator

Got it apart slightly. Other than the fuel system being filthy, seems to be in pretty solid condition. The sparkplugs have a cast resin???? insulator that sits over the plug, but inside the stainless covers. One of these has been broken. Does anyone know where I can get another. Or what they are made of. I could probably turn one out on a lathe if I knew what material to use.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:54:59 PM
Russ Hughes

The PE-75 series generators were World War II Army vintage. They were pretty rugged units. They were rated at 2.5 Kw, but would put out as much as 4.0 Kw for a while. The output voltage under normal operation was around 130 volts. This seems a little high, but when the generator was located some distance away from where the power was being used to reduce the noise level, the loss in the long extension cord was made up by the higher voltage. The engine ran at 2100 RPM and with the reduction through the belt drive, the generator ran at 1800 RPM for 60 cycle power. The one that I and several of my Ham radio friends had years ago all had Briggs engines powering them. Anyway that's basically what I remember from the few manuals we had available at the time.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:39:59 AM
Heath Daily

Got her back together again, except for the plugs which no one seems to be able to cross-reference. I built up the insulators previously mentioned with "magnum steel" a 2 part epoxy in a stick form. Filed it down, and it looks pretty good. Hope to fire it up as soon as I can locate plugs.

Thought I'd share a picture, so here it is. Would you believe this was rescued from the local dump!

Old 03-14-2004, 05:22:13 PM
Heath Daily

oops, musta got cut off