Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Eutectic Magna Tran 301 stick tig welder

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 2359 times

Old 07-21-2017, 08:12:11 PM
Registered

Default Eutectic Magna Tran 301 stick tig welder

Hello Everyone: I recently acquired a Eutectic 301 stick tig welder that has no output at the welding terminals.. The fan turns on and the pilot light lights but no output.. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with this machine.. Mike in Louisiana
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	welder.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	286881   Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	286882  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2017, 10:11:26 PM
Registered

Default Re: Eutectic Magna Tran 301 stick tig welder

I have one like yours.

Make certain that the relay bay door (with key) is latched. If it isn't no start.
Don't ask how I know this.

Should be two relays to weld. Other two are for TIG. Should be a High Freq oscillator in with the relays for HF TIG start. If relays are not there you will have to adapt current timer relays into the machine.

Welder is a beast. I used mine to arc gouge transformer tank lids off and weld aluminum windings.

There was a Army manual on the Internet. You can add a foot pedal for amp control. Use a Miller pedal and change resistor. Can't buy the FC-22 pedal in the manual.

Machine is a transformer type with a saturable reactor amp control. Good machine, but no parts available.

If you can't find a manual I can make you a copy of mine. I may have the manual on the computer.

I think the guts are made by Miller. I think Magna Tran just had others make the machines for them, must as Century does for many. Govmt had a s***load. I bought two, made one, sold the leftovers.

JLG
Old 07-22-2017, 08:31:04 AM
Registered

Hello Jim and thanks! The story I got on this one was that it just quit welding... It powers up, the indicator lamp comes on, fan runs but no power at welding terminals.. All the timers, relays are in place and I found out about the door switch....Thing I found odd is that no hi freq at all.. The panel/remote switches make no difference...I found the manual online from the military and it has helped some, but the manual I found is not too easy to read or so it seems to me.. It says there is a thermostat in the transformer for overload but I cannot seem to find it... Everything looks good and there is no burned smell to it so I am baffled.. Anyhow thanks again for your reply! Mike in Louisiana P.S. I see your name is Geraci... There is a family of Geracis south of here (plaquemine) who have owned a Napa store for many decades
Old 07-22-2017, 09:00:08 AM
Registered

Do you have schematic(s)? There are several schematics and they are all slightly different.

I have a manual that I got from the then owner of Magna Tran back in the mid '70s. The machine has numerous bells and whistles and they all need to ding and whistle in order for the machine to work, PLUS your dealing with OLD electro mechanical parts that may have gone to welding heaven.

It's fairly easy to pull the cabinet off so you can access the inside. I'd look for something in the input power circuit being broken or burnt off.

I don't have time to look today, but I'll pull out my info this evening and see if I can help. The machine is worth saving if the transformer or Sat Reactor isn't burnt. No smell of magic smoke inside is a good sign.

JLG
Old 07-22-2017, 10:24:13 AM
Registered

Hey thanks again for the speedy reply! I have the cabinet off and it seems that the main contactor is closing as it should so the main transformer should be energized.. I can't find anything burned or otherwise deformed...I would love to have a better schematic of the unit as the only one I have is hard to read...I know that a separate transformer runs the fan and the 24v power for timers and stuff like that so that transformer must be ok...Just puzzles me about the main transformer appearing to be dead...I checked the main contactor with a wiggy on the tranformer side and it has 115 volt to ground so I know the main contactor is closed... Appreciate your help.. Mike
Old 07-22-2017, 12:54:17 PM
Registered

PM me a email address and I'll send you a better schematic. Also if you can read the Stock No on the N/P send it too as the schematics are coded with Stk/N.

The control ckt shows a fuse in the S/R DC bias wdg. If it is open the S/R will absorb about 90% of the output voltage, no arc.

Geraci is a common Italian name in the Cleveland Ohio area. My mother changed my hard to say hard to spell Hungarian name to Geraci. Here in TX it's generally changed to GARCIA, but at least it's not "Hey SOB" most of the time anyway. I'll be gone until this evening.

JLG
Old 07-22-2017, 07:48:39 PM
Registered

Hello and thanks again! My email addy is megpa@att.net
Model MD 301 FED

Serial MDF 530

FSN- 3431-235-4728

Contract # DSA 700-69-C-H070

Date Mar '70

I checked the fuse with a vom and it shows to be not open..Maybe I should check it with a battery and light bulb...

Again... I certainly appreciate your help.. Mike
Old 07-23-2017, 04:56:05 PM
Registered

Found that the contacts on the main contactor had 230 volts across them when the machine was on therefore for some reason the main contactor is not closing and supplying power to the main transformer.. Mike
Old 08-03-2017, 03:09:19 PM
Registered

Hello Everyone: I have narrowed my problem down to a bad pre flow timer... Now I need to find a new or used timer Potter and Brumfield CHB-38-31005 or TYCO timing relay 18R1858.. Any help appreciated.. Thanks.. Mike in Louisiana
Old 08-07-2017, 08:29:38 PM
Registered

Talking Re: Eutectic Magna Tran 301 stick tig welder

Hello Everyone: I installed a new pre flow timer and all is well! I think the arc from this machine is as smooth or maybe smoother than my 1957 Lincoln Idealarc with 5p... Thanks again for the help you all gave me.. Mike in Louisiana
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	288165   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (3).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	288166   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	288167  
Old 08-31-2017, 09:24:27 PM
Registered

Hello Everyone: I recently welded some aluminum with the Magna Tran and it welds really nice.. Wish I had a foot pedal with it though and they are probably harder to find that for the Miller 330.. Mike in Louisiana