Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Web Server News
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Web Server News Various information and older news about the SmokStak™ web server and its functioning.

Web Server News

Looking Forward

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 1053 times

Old 11-13-2017, 12:31:57 AM
Administrator

Thanked 14,237 Times in 2,493 Posts
Default Looking Forward

Can you believe that it was 2004 when I moved Smokstak from WebBBS over to vBulletin? That's over thirteen years ago! It was 1995 when I started up the Old Engine Classifieds that ultimately led to Smokstak. That's 22 years!

All kinds of things have happened in the bulletin board world in that interim. vBulletin came out with the newest series 5 whiz-bang board that proceeded to fall flat on its face. Smokstak has since become a one-million post board and because of this, we stayed on the original series 3 software, (if it ain't broke, don't fix it,) maintaining its speed and reliability. There is series 4 that isn't so bad and it has a few nice features that I would like to implement. I'm still very wary about series 5 and the problems that caused its initial demise. Other board software has come into being such as Xenforo and many others.

Smokstak and the Enginads Classifieds share the same user database and this has made it much easier to screen new users and maintain control on spammers and scammers. The original classifieds software company has gone belly up, but because the software has gone through many modifications, it plugs onward. The problem is that if I change Smokstak software, Enginads goes into failure mode without the existing user database.

The question then becomes, whether to implement a classified ad area within Smokstak and carry on from there. Or, to seek out new classifieds software from elsewhere? Unfortunately, there are more companies into forum software than classified ad software. Upgrading because of this whim or that whim becomes a Royal PITA.

There is a lot to all of this and it has been on my mind for some time now. I tend to engineer slowly, because like the series 5 mentioned above, I dislike falling on my face.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2017, 06:34:11 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts
Default Re: Looking Forward

Harry:

Here's my -humble- opinion............

Unless the software is getting to where it can't get along with newer operating systems, why not just use the axiom, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Old 11-13-2017, 04:21:50 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,252 Times in 1,162 Posts

I agree with your own assessment. ...If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT! Everyone is accustomed to the way everything works on the entire "Harry's old engines" site and that means a LOT.
....I think I signed on with you somewhere in 98 or so, and watched this all progress into what you have now. I'd say leave it as it is until something REALLY spectacular comes along.
Just MY 2-1/2 cent!
Old 11-13-2017, 05:10:51 PM
Subscriber

I have to rely on the proven expertise and experience of you and your assistants/moderators. About all I know about IT is what is necessary to read and post here and on engine ads. But as others said, its working great for me as is.
Thanks Harry! You will get my new years subscription in January :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to Grape For This Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 05:29:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,897 Times in 1,937 Posts

/\ What he said!

Only thing I would add is to avoid "change for the sake of change". Goes along with if it ain't broke don't fix it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 05:43:09 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,934 Posts

Do whatever requires least work and is the most cost effective for you.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:31:21 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,086 Times in 1,923 Posts

" implement a classified ad area within Smokstak and carry on from there."

That looks like the next simplest thing to do if what is in place gets to a point it can't be used anymore. We hash this type thing over on the MTFCA forum. Some of the tech savoy folks want to implement newer software. We have volunteers that run it, it is so simple right now,most of us say "leave be".
Old 11-21-2017, 02:56:19 AM

Thanked 20,663 Times in 5,983 Posts

The ONLY "complaints" I've heard is so many people are married to their smart phones many don't even have computers any more.
One thirtyish friend suggested younger users find STAK difficult to navigate the site with their smart phones so they give up.
I think STAK needs to be optimized for mobile users if it's going to continue to grow and thrive.
For the record I own a dumb phone and have no intention of EVER having anything but.......
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 03:02:47 AM
Administrator

Thanked 14,237 Times in 2,493 Posts

I've been through an iPhone 4S and now have an iPhone 7 plus, (most recently iPhone X.) I really don't see what all the fuss is about getting Smokstak to run on it. I use it daily for reading posts and using the admin tools. No special formatting needed, simply use the two finger size adjust and read away. However, while at my desk, I do prefer my dual 24" high-res screens.
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry For This Post:
Old 11-24-2017, 07:09:28 AM
Subscriber

I struggle with new programs, do eventually learn because there is no option.
But, my vote is not to change until this fantastic forum exceeds the capacity of the system. It is easy, fast, and a pleasure to navigate as it is. That is the purpose of all of this, a pleasurable hobby we enjoy with friends.
Thank you all for everything you do.
David
Old 11-24-2017, 10:18:07 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,154 Times in 871 Posts

Yes Harry ... EXACTLY what Dave Myers just said !!!

Old 12-26-2017, 02:37:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,886 Times in 3,750 Posts

If you "implement a classified ad area within SmokStak and carry on from there." would the old Engine Ads still continue to function as is while people transition over to the change ?

If you're concerned about Engine Ads eventually going belly up because of future software changes hopefully most people would already have made the switch posting their new ads "within SmokStak" with the older ones becoming more of an Archive (like the millions of old Magazine ads we enjoy looking back at sometimes) if it is still accessible at all by then.

Just thinking That Way you would have time to get the new ad system up and running before being suddenly forced into doing something on short notice.

As a side note, If there are members that post ads from time to time but rarely visit the forums you would probably want to post a "pinned" ad to the top of the Engine Ads page so they find out about the change during the transition. Even being on here Daily, I didn't find this thread until 6 weeks after the opening post. People that rarely get on here may never see it and then wonder what happened a year or two down the road when they try to post an ad.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:55:10 AM
Registered

Nice to be back. So many great information and help with my projects.
Looking forward.
Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to Redone For This Post:
Old 02-03-2018, 12:37:25 PM
Subscriber

It might depend on one's eyes. I use my Windows phone to a minor degree and I experience less eye strain with my laptop monitor. But that is just me and I know we all all different in the sight category!

---------- Post added at 11:37:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28:46 AM ----------

Having been a software developer for over 40 years we have an old saying we frequently repeat at Work as developers (so we won't forget the lesson I think) "The bleeding edge of technology". Anyone on the front-end of this better love being on call 24 X 7 X 365 days a year and dealing with constant consternation, confusion and many unwanted challenges.
I like your "Engineer slowly" Harry - just my gut...