Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Rare find? Easy Come, Easy GO!

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 7081 times

Old 02-26-2007, 09:13:41 AM
Registered

Default Rare find? Easy Come, Easy GO!

Last December I guess it was, I posted about finding a National "Winnibago Cheif" engine in the crate in a old building I was told I could have with a IHC and alot of other junk.

Well Doesn't look like I will get it now. Went over to take a look to see if I could get to the building with my pickup because the ground was froze. The old guy who told me I could have all, passed away in Florida 2 weeks ago. His brother told me the junk was all his now and he wasn't letting anyone do anything. Very Rude about it. I didn't know the old guy had passed away.

Jeeze I screwed up by not getting my feet all muddy and getting that stuff out when I had the chance.

But beleive me I know how that kind of thing goes with family as I too am going through the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2007, 09:16:04 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,731 Times in 503 Posts
Default Re: Rare find? Easy Come, Easy GO!

That sucks, you should have went swimming when you had the chance, next time Huh?
Dustin
Old 02-26-2007, 09:41:14 AM
Administrator

Thanked 14,274 Times in 2,496 Posts

How many times have we read such a story on here? The old sayings about "time" sure apply when an old engine is found. Cash set aside in the wallet is good too. Instant transaction!
Old 02-26-2007, 10:46:08 AM
Subscriber

Three Rules I follow when Buying Old Iron.
1.Pay the Owner - Load It Now and Leave.
2. Pay the Owner - If you can't load it now , come back ASAP and Load It.
3. Or if it's too big or hard to move Pay the owner for it and remove the rare or hard to get parts. Then come back ASAP and Load It up.

And sometimes this works
Old 02-26-2007, 11:00:48 AM
Registered

Sorry to hear that Greg
Read em' and weep

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34331
Old 02-26-2007, 11:24:45 AM

Thanked 20,683 Times in 5,985 Posts

Well Greg...........at least you didn't blab it to everyone so someone ELSE wound up with it...........(read back stabber)..............
Old 02-26-2007, 05:14:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,713 Times in 845 Posts

Yah! Craig, remember to inform your relatives about you putting me in your will. I get the Rumely, remember??
Old 02-26-2007, 05:21:40 PM

^
RUMELY????????????????
I thought YOU were a JD man?
Old 02-26-2007, 07:11:30 PM
Subscriber

greg,sorry to hear what happen to you,the same thing happened to me years ago,except i paid and never got anything so now i do what mcanady does,pay the owner-load it now and leave,or plan B ,pay the owner if you can't load it now,strip all the good parts magneto,carb,ignitor,oiler anything of value,that way if you loose out you have something -chuck
Old 02-26-2007, 08:07:23 PM
Registered

Another consideration is to have a receipt written out for everything, signed by the seller and a note to be picked up when....

Receipts have always been out of character for me and I really like the old school handshake deal; but we live in a world where a signed receipt can help clarify a lot of things later down the road.

Tom Brach
Old 02-26-2007, 08:51:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,259 Times in 372 Posts

I carry a generic sales form with me in the truck and if questioned about the use of it I just tell them it is for ins. reasons and in case ONE of us checks out between now and the time to load. All that and a good firm hand shake have done ok for me so far.
Sorry for your set back ! I hope you and the new owner can come to terms.

Randy Hart Ohio
Old 02-26-2007, 09:15:48 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Exclamation Re: Rare find? Easy Come, Easy GO!

"He who hesitates is lost!" Sorry for your loss, better luck next time.
Andrew
Old 02-27-2007, 12:20:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Hart View Post
I carry a generic sales form with me in the truck and if questioned about the use of it I just tell them it is for ins. reasons and in case ONE of us checks out between now and the time to load.
Randy Hart Ohio
Absolutely MANDATORY even when dealing with friends!
In the event something DOES happen both parties are covered.
Especially in cases of items where a friendly "payment" plan needs to be implemented.......in other words it's too expensive and you can't cough it all up just now.............
Been there and done that.........and it was the SELLER who insisted on it............
Another good idea is to see that family members know of the transaction so there are no unknowns.....
Old 03-02-2007, 09:31:37 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,200 Posts

I remember your original post Greg. Ouch!
Craig and Mcanady have the right ideas.
Maybe you can make up with the old brother and buy it from him.
Put yourself in his shoes. His brother just died, and he doesn't know you.
Tell him you're sorry about his brother, and if he wants to sell anything, you would be interested. That's probably the best you can hope for.
Kevin
Old 03-03-2007, 07:29:19 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,926 Times in 1,741 Posts

One time awhile back I came across an imculate Oliver chilled plow sign that must have been 2' high by 4'wide for $75 in this persons den, and he wanted to sell it. I didn't know anything about signs, didn't have the $'s to spare on me so I left . I did some research and when I called to buy it the next day, his wife said "NO" .

Needless to say, I usually keep an extra $1 or so on me anymore, just in case. You never know when something will show up and with cash in hand you just might leave with it. No cash in hand and coming back means you'll be lucky if you get it.

I saw this old glass beaded IHC sign (NICE) the other day and............ I pressured the guy a bit, and when I called his bluff by pulling out the $'s he was asking for it, he said he really did not want to sell it. I sure got his attention .

Then I remember the time......... .
Make a new friend today, and a lot on the way through . Paul-"OLDIHC" #227

My YouTube channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/njoldihc
Old 03-03-2007, 10:28:39 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,040 Times in 1,624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spence View Post
One time awhile back I came across an imculate Oliver chilled plow sign that must have been 2' high by 4'wide for $75 in this persons den, and he wanted to sell it. I didn't know anything about signs, didn't have the $'s to spare on me so I left . I did some research and when I called to buy it the next day, his wife said "NO" .
Sounds to me like you just saved that guy from a long stretch in the dog house, & yourself from dirty looks every time that woman sees you...
Old 03-03-2007, 12:19:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,403 Times in 390 Posts

about 15 years ago a friend of mine was working up and down the alberta sask. border south of loydminister. he called me and said he found a couple of old tractors. a J.D. 820 and a realy old case. i ask him if it is a 4 cylinder crossmounted engine. he said no it is 2 cylinder facing the back and it says eagle on it. well my heart was beating pretty fast by this time. it took about a month and finaly i got a load down near there with my truck. we were spending the night in provost so the pilot car driver and i called the man who owned the property and got permisson to go look. when we found the place it was almost dark. and i saw the tractor. i almost craped my coverals. it was an early eagle, 12-20 or 12-22. the belt pulley, clutch, mag , and carb were missing. in the morning i called the man who owned it. he said his father bought it new,but it was to small to run the threshing machine,so they got a bigger tractor. about all it ever did was stand in the yard belted to the grain grinder, he told me some guys said they wanted it about 2 years ago, but never heard from them again. if i wanted it go ahead and take it. he said he had the missing parts and the operators manuel for it. i took those parts of so they wouldnt walk away. well with work and such it was about a month before i could get away to go get it. i called early one saterday morning to let the man know i was coming. his wife answers the phone, and told me her husband just had a stroke. she told me them fellows that called a while back are coming to get the old tractor. well wished her husband well, and hung up the phone. win some lose some i guess.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:19:08 AM
Registered

Talked to the old guys son yesterday. He told me that there might still be a chance of getting the stuff. His uncle doesn't know what it is anyway. It is not the case were I had to pay anything other than a little work cleaning up the junk. Nobody thought the old guy would have passed away the way he did. The brother has calmed down some now and will think about it.

Anyway, If I could have gotten to the stuff last fall without having to rent a swamp buggy and a barge to float the stuff out on, I would have gotten it the day the old guy showed it to me. Beleive me we were knee deep in water trying to get out to see it.

Will just be patient and see if there is a change of mind. No one else knows it's were abouts.