Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Another Homelite Generator

this thread has 33 replies and has been viewed 14784 times

Old 05-05-2007, 09:54:14 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,240 Times in 1,649 Posts
Default Another Homelite Generator

I have recently acquired a nice little Homelite generator and have a couple of questions. First, the details.
It is a:
Model 35A115-1A
115 V 13.1 A
60 Cy PF 1.0
Serial No. 2032788
Homelite Textron
Port Chester NY

The engine runs quite well, but I do not know if I am getting power from the gen end. The brushes & their retaining plugs that screw into the holders are missing (Anybody got some?....)
I would love to have a copy of a manual / parts list for it.
I don't know who did it, or when it was done but it was repainted the red you see at some point. When I started taking covers off I found that it was originally a metalic emerald green.
Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HomeliteGen01.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	18792   Click image for larger version

Name:	HomeliteGen02.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	18793  

I Can Probably Fix That
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2007, 10:11:23 AM
Registered

Default Re: Another Homelite Generator

Yep, that's a Homelite.

Do a search on my name, and you'll see that someone posted a Schematic for those, as well as a carb diagram.

Brushes should be available at any local motor shop..You migfht have to file them to fit, but most are pretty universal.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:26:44 PM
Registered

John, I have the exact same unit you do. Mine runs excellent, but doesnt do what generators are meant to do..generate! someone has been inside the control box replacing parts. Could you possibly look inside and let me know what kind of capacitor values and resistors you have? I know that there was a generic schematic floating around somewhere, but I'd trust more someone who has an identical unit. Maybe you've already found schematics...I'm just starting on this one....
Thanks in advance!

Mark J.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:06:48 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,149 Times in 751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark J. View Post
John, I have the exact same unit you do. Mine runs excellent, but doesnt do what generators are meant to do..generate! someone has been inside the control box replacing parts. Could you possibly look inside and let me know what kind of capacitor values and resistors you have? I know that there was a generic schematic floating around somewhere, but I'd trust more someone who has an identical unit. Maybe you've already found schematics...I'm just starting on this one....
Thanks in advance!

Mark J.
We posted a set of pictures out of a 24A120 genny manual some time back:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/die.../Homelite1.jpg

through

http://www.oldengine.org/members/die.../Homelite4.jpg

We will get around to doing the whole book one day, but we have a huge backlog of stuff to be scanned and cleaned up, so it won't be soon.

Peter
Old 08-04-2007, 05:04:45 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,004 Times in 634 Posts

Hi all,
A very clean, original 35A115-1A Homelite followed me home from the local scrap yard and after feeding it some gas/oil mix I was able to start it after only 3 pulls. It runs great, but output is zero. After removing the generator control box I discovered why. Someone has cut and removed some of the components.
I'd like to repair it, but with my very limited generator experience I think my only choice is to replace the entire box and/or generator with a good used one.
It's such a neat little unit I hate to take it back to the scrap yard. They'll probably just put it to sleep and I'd hate to see that happen to it.
Can anyone help me save this little dude from certain death?

Thanks guys,
Jim
Old 08-04-2007, 10:48:49 AM
Registered

Hey Jim,
I've got one of them too. Mine runs great also, I've got about 1.0 volt output, and am just starting to get into it. I have a couplke pictures of the inside of the box. It looks like someone was working on mine, as a couple components are replaced. If anyone can ID any of these pieces, it would be nice. Can any one tell me what the large finned thing in the upper right corner of pict #0196 is? I think the one on the left side is a bridge rectifier.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0915 copy.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	21671   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0916 copy.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	21672  
Old 08-04-2007, 05:36:49 PM
Registered

Mark-

Both finned devices look like selenium rectifier stacks to me. They could be configured as bridges, but it is hard to tell in the photos.

Selenium rectifiers have a reputation of going bad with age. If they are configured as bridges, it should be possible to replace them with smaller rectifier modules from Radio Shack. I understand the number of plates in each leg determines its voltge rating, and the surface area of the plates determines the current rating. Therefore the larger unit would be expected to have a higher current capacity.

If you do convert to silicon rectifiers, the output will be higher since internal voltage drop is lower than selenium. In some applications it might be necessary to add a resistor in series with the output, to maintain the original circuit performance.

Fred
Old 08-05-2007, 05:41:07 AM
Subscriber

Like Confucius said " A picture is worth a thousand words" ( or was it Grasshopper?) That picture helped me a LOT!

Yes, it does look like a couple of components have been changed in yours.
The light green capacitor ( nearest the diodes) was originally a 2000 MFD @ 6 WV and was clamped to the center wall of the box and was wired as it is.
The other component that has been changed in yours is that newish looking resistor. Mine has a capacitor there! ( At least it LOOKS like a capacitor) And that cap , or whatever it is, like the other components in mine look like they are OEM. That seems odd to me. A resistor in place of a capacitor? That component in mine has some sort of black shrink-wrap material on it and I don't see any values anywhere, darn it. But it sure looks like a capacitor to me, but what do I know; I'm a weldor.
So I hope I was as much help to you as you were to me. Maybe I only need to replace that resistor to try and see if that was the only problem. ( dream on) I suspect it won't be that simple. I bet something else may have caused that resistor to melt. Does yours have any numbers visible?
If I can help you more let me know.( I need all the help I can get!)
The only obviously failed component in mine appears to be the large wire wound adjustable resistor thats also bolted to the center wall. Yours looks great. Mine is , well, toast. Literally. And reads wide open on all three taps on my ohm meter. The wires to it had been cut, perhaps to isolate it for testing, I would imagine.
Jim
Old 08-05-2007, 11:15:08 AM
Registered

I was poking around, along with help from some others, and it seems to me that the wire-wound resistor in mine has an end-to-end resistance of about 25.3 ohms. It has a label (wow) and its am Ohmite product rated at 25 W. There are some other numbers on the tag, but I cant read it under the center adjustable tap w/o disturbing it. Check the link below, maybe the D25 model???

http://www.ohmite.com/cgi-bin/showpa...uct=210_series

I saw some pix up in the thread, John Newman has one identical to mine. Maybe he can get some pix of the control box guts for us?

As for me, I gotta get my head around this rectifier thing. And the whole bridge thing. Legs? Diodes? I can read about this stuff, but it doesnt really tell me anything about how to test or what to watch for. I'll hear "check the resistance across the "&!(${>@" leg or the polarity of the "&$!*&#)" field. I'm getting caught up in trying to learn what the references are to, plus trying to focus on the results of checking things out. I'm not even sure I can figure out how to flash the field in this thing. I have searched 4 years worth of posts referencing flashing, and some say to flash the field, some say the aramture, some say the rotor, check the polarity of the brushes first, on and on. I feel bad because people take the time to try to help, but it takes me so long to absorb what they say, let alone getting to do it. I hope they dont get sick of me asking. I think I need a day off.
Well, there! "Deep breath, think of a happy, sunny place..."
Let me know if I can help you anymore. I maybe in touch about that resistor thing. As I understand, the capacitor as it is on mine would be to clean up the output, eliminating any whine or interference, as it is connected to one of the output socket lugs.The resistor on top is anyones guess. Maybe I can get brave and see if I can get at that adjustable resistor label for you.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:52:18 PM
Subscriber

I meant to take some pics of the control box innards today, but forgot to put a disc in the camera (Sony Mavica that shoots directly to 3.5" floppy)
Maybe tomorrow..................

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 08-06-2007, 05:36:08 AM
Subscriber

Mark,
I know what you mean about the terminogy. I remember the term "flashing the field" from the '50 and early '60s. ( These days it sounds like something a cheerleader would do at a football game, but I digress)Whenever you changed a generator you had to flash the field, but only AFTER you disconnected the "Field" wire from the regulator.
Thank you so much for the info and ID on that resistor! And I think I can get a new one from what info you've given me, so don't disturb yours to read the label..
I STILL don't understand the resistor where mine has a capacitor. Weird!
I'm gonna order that resistor from Ohmite as soon as time permits and I'll let you know the results.
Thanks again,
Jim
PS If I can figure out how to post pictures I'll get you a pic of my box....Uh...poor word choice. Sound like the above mentioned cheerleader, doesn't it? ;>)
Old 08-06-2007, 02:38:38 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,149 Times in 751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Newman, Jr. View Post
I meant to take some pics of the control box innards today, but forgot to put a disc in the camera (Sony Mavica that shoots directly to 3.5" floppy)
Maybe tomorrow..................
Strange that we have had (and still have) about 6 Mavica cameras, but never used the floppy drive at all. First was an FD-87 which we bought the Memory Stick Adapter for, then we had an FD-100, FD-97 and there are three CD Mavicas.

Most useful are the two with built-in Memory Stick sockets, the FD-100 and the FD-97.

Latest is a Cyber-Shot DSC-F717 which we hope to use in anger at Portland this month.

Peter
Old 08-06-2007, 07:46:38 PM
Registered

Okay.. I sat down with my Photoshop program and drew up a rough tracing of where my wires connect. One lead I cannot trace (it goes inside the housing and I cant get to it) and also, the resistor color bands- I looked at a list of resistor color codes and i didnt see a TAN listed (brown maybe?) and the black band has a blue tint to it when viewed in the bright light, but I think its black. Does this look familiar to anyone? Can anyone tell me where the power to energize the field comes from, as I assume thats where I need to connect the battery to flash. I hope the drawing makes sense... I'm no draftsman. Its drawn the way I traced the leads. Also, theres a grommet where a bulb used to poke through the control box, but that connection, lead, and bulb are missing. Anyone got one they can point out?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	generator schematic copy.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	21754  
Old 08-07-2007, 01:20:28 AM
Registered

Mark-

In your previous photograph there appears to be a 10,000 Ohm 10% 2 Watt carbon resistor. Color bands are brown-black-orange-silver. I estimate it to be 2 Watts by its size relative to the other components.

Fred
Old 08-07-2007, 05:07:14 PM
Registered

Oh-MyGod!!! I can't believed what just happened! I contacted Homelite through their website, which is no easy task. They E-mailed me a phone number, which I just called, and talked to a very, very nice young lady who...get this...E-MAILED ME PDF COPIES OF BOTH A PARTS MANUAL AND OWNERS MANUAL, ALONG WITH A LIST OF OBSOLETE PARTS DEALERS!
I almost fell off the stool when she said it would be there "momentarily".
I am downloading them as I type, and want to print them off to make it easier to study in my "Conservatory" (Bathroom). But they include full schematics and troubleshooting guides. As it turns out, the 35A115 came as 35A115-1, 35A115-1A, and a 35A115/230-1. I gotta get readin to see whats in there...I'll keep ya posted! Now if only I could get that kind of help from Kohler...
Old 08-08-2007, 07:03:46 PM
Subscriber

WOW! That's great!!! Can't wait to hear what you find.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:49:37 PM
Subscriber

Here are pictures of the control box on my Model 35A115-1A. I have no idea if it is as it was originally.
Mark:
I would be very interested in copies of the information you got from Homelite.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	control101.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	21959   Click image for larger version

Name:	control102.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	21960   Click image for larger version

Name:	control103.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	21961  

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 08-13-2007, 04:16:17 AM
Subscriber

Joh,
It looks like your diodes have been replaced by a more modern module. I checked my diodes and they tested good. Apparently the problem with my Homelite ( Homedark?) is the selenium rectifier. Fred mentioned that they go bad with age and ia a feeling this one died. And I don't know how to test it, either. I slid the unit under my workbench for now. Next, I will slide it into my Blazer and return it to the scrap yard from whence it came. It's too bad, too, 'cause it runs so well. I have other projects that are more important right now, like a Go Kart that's 90% finished and will be WAY more fun than a generator. Oh well.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:50:22 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,196 Times in 1,057 Posts

You check a selenium diode like a silicon one. Measure the forward and reverse resistance but when in dought replace. You may need to remove the diode from the circuit to test it. The forward voltage drop of a silicon diode is a little higher(.7 volts ) where the selenium is .3 volts.
I would hate to see you send the genset back to the scrap yard for the want of a at the most $5.00 diode.

Kent
Old 08-14-2007, 08:18:47 PM
Registered

Lokay, thanks for the PM. I was re-reading the thread further up, where you mentioned that the variable resistor was baked. The manual says that if that resistor is visibly blistered or burned that it is likely the shunt field rectifier is cooked also. It tells how to test a couple circuits on the rectifier, maybe that would help? Just for laughs, I may fire mine up and take voltage readings on the rectifiers, just in case I should ever need to replace them. Right now, I have no idea what kind of output they have. Just the ohm values the book gives for diagnosis purposes.