Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Smith Welding Machine

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 5606 times

Old 11-18-2007, 04:32:10 PM
Registered

Default Smith Welding Machine

My Son in law has a antique welder made my SMITH. Does anyone know where I can find any information on it. The lable is in such bad shape I cannot read any thing on it. I don't know if it is 3 phase or single phase,
480 or 220 etc. Any help would be great!!!

Thanks,
Danny
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2007, 06:35:58 PM
Registered

Default Re: Smith Welding Machine

MY father had one years ago he bought new in the late 40's. Is this one black, round with different size circular steps which serve as vents for the transformer making up the top and have A.O Smith on it with a bunch of different plug in holes to move the pigtail in for changing the amperage on it? That is how the one my father had looked. He bought it to use in his John Deere dealership shop. It is still in use there now. It was single phase 220 volts and was A.C. output only. It was made by the A.O. Smith Corp. that made the hot water heaterin our house at that time I think. If that is the case They are the makers of the A.O. Smith HarvestStore silos I think.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:05:31 PM
Registered

Thanks,
Your description is right on the money, This was was used in a shop were a man dug wells. He said he used it a couple of years ago in his old shop but did not know how it was hooked up electrically. I will try on a 220 circuit in my garage just to see it it still works.

Thanks again,
Danny Porter
Franklin Va
Old 11-19-2007, 11:30:39 PM
Registered

Glad to help. I learned to weld using this machine. It was a good one, just don't change the amperage tap under a load. If I remember correctly it had a high and a low side that were sets of plug in holes for the lead that you moved to change the amperage output. It would run most any rod he (my dad) let me use.
I was in the Deere dealership last spring and the machine was still there and they said they used it occasionally. The machine has survived 5 owners of the dealership since being placed in service in about 1948 or 49. Has been a long time since I was only about 9 or 10 when it was bought.
I never knew there was anything better till I got a chance to weld with a d.c. machine after I got old enough to work at a local machine shop. Welding overhead and vertical were a thrill with the old Smith. The a.c. machine gave off a lot of sparks from the rod burning, and a loud buzz as it welded, but if you hung with it you could do the job in spite of the spark shower..