Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Double cylinder Huber steam engine

this thread has 40 replies and has been viewed 7503 times

Old 07-06-2011, 12:56:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,130 Times in 734 Posts
Default Double cylinder Huber steam engine

I don't think this is from a traction engine, but I've never seen one like it.

http://ebay.com/Steam-Engine-New-Huber-boiler-motor-water-vintage-old-/110711552352

Huber enthusiasts, enlighten us!

David
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to David For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2011, 01:36:21 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,609 Times in 2,428 Posts
Default Re: Double cylinder Huber steam engine

David,
Quite interesting....can't help but wonder if it's a shop/blacksmith made conglomeration? If you notice, one side (the Huber side) looks like a standard engine from a traction engine-side crank, slide valve, bored crosshead guide....the other side has a piston valve and flat-strap crosshead guide. I'm thinking someone raided a junkyard many decades ago and built them a double-cylinder engine for some particular purpose. Don't think the Huber factory would have built a weird one-off like that, esp. with no parts that would match from side-to-side.
Mike M
Old 07-06-2011, 01:46:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,722 Times in 535 Posts

Looks home made to me, probably using a cylinder from an older Huber traction or portable, and a cylinder from something else. The huber cylinder has a D-valve and the other cylinder looks like it has a piston valve. Huber did put side by side two cylinder engines on the later large plowing engines and late steam rollers.

Mr. McKnight might be interested in those engine parts for his project Huber...

Late Huber 2 cylinder:

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

You beat me to it Mike!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brad Kelley For This Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 05:17:24 PM
Registered

Thanked 5,696 Times in 2,204 Posts

I first saw this engine at The North Central Steam Power Show north of Kings Illinois in 1967. I believe it came from near Cordova Illinois where George Hedtke also bought the very old bandsawmill and that unusual square porcupine boiler. It was near or, maybe from the owner who also owned the all wheel drive Dain tractor at one time. These items (not the tractor) were sold at one of his last two estate sales about 2005.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oilpulled For This Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 10:25:06 PM
Registered

Thanked 8,242 Times in 2,121 Posts

David,
I have to commend the seller for not putting L@@K RARE!!! and recognizing there are some parts here, only.
Gary
Old 07-06-2011, 11:21:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,637 Times in 1,053 Posts

It almost looks like the exhaust from the piston valve engine exhausts into the steam chest of the Huber engine. I bet this has an unusual exhaust bark with one piston and one d valve. I would have to buy it if it was closer just to tinker with it because if no one bids the asking price is not out in left field, especially if a person needed Huber parts.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:02:12 AM
Registered

I'd like to have the thing myself for whatever I could use on my 12...but no mon no fun!
Old 07-07-2011, 02:37:04 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,604 Times in 695 Posts

I'll throw my 2 cents worth in (adjusted for inflation) since I haven't been laughed at lately.
Unless my eyes deceive me, I think somebody whipped themselves up a compound. In the railroad Mallet compounds it was not unusual to have a piston valve on the HP side and the LP use a D valve. Is it just me or does the piston valve cylinder seem a bit smaller in diameter, too?.....PD
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Deets For This Post:
Old 07-07-2011, 10:55:28 AM
Subscriber

I'm not so sure about the compound idea. I don't know enough about that piston valve engine to say which port is the inlet or exhaust, but the pipe on the top of the Huber valve chest is the steam inlet on that engine. I'd think the Huber valve chest is just sharing steam with the piston valve engine and it's still just 2 engines cobbled together without any real consideration of cylinder size.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:06:40 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,604 Times in 695 Posts

Brad,
One of the nice things about spool valves is that it just takes either a change of timing or swapping steam inlet/outlet to make it work as either inside admission or outside admission. Without hands on nosing around either of us could be right. Either way, this creation is a tribute to ingenuity.....PD
Old 07-07-2011, 07:57:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,840 Times in 877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Deets View Post
Brad,
One of the nice things about spool valves is that it just takes either a change of timing or swapping steam inlet/outlet to make it work as either inside admission or outside admission. Without hands on nosing around either of us could be right. Either way, this creation is a tribute to ingenuity.....PD
Plenty of neat discusion without funneling this thread to just the pressure configuration, but I'm good at derailing threads , so I'll jump on the compound:Huber-low-pressure bandwagon.

Knowing nothing of Huber and less about railroad cylinders; there is no "T" on the pipe between them, so I can't see the source in parallel.

Also, there is a T on the [per my assumption] inlet, despite little known why someone configured this creature, it is harder to imagine a use for T'ing the exhuast than for live steam. Coupled with the picture creating an image of a slightly smaller [though probably quite off proportion for much efficiency gain] bore on the "inlet" side, the Huber would be low pressure.

Do have to wonder where the crank came from and if the strokes were identical, or the original cranks cobbled into one, or maybe [looking at the rear: likely] shafts and crank disks fabbed to marry to the orignal huber shaft.

Makes for some neat pictures regardless!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:05:44 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,629 Times in 403 Posts

My brother was in contact with the seller on E bay. After checking a few casting numbers (from the Huber 1/2 of this set up) in his Huber parts books, he found that the cross head pump #A107 was used only on the 12 hp Huber #s 2400 through # 3607. These were built 1891 to 1895.
The seller informed my brother that they were trying to find a good home rather than see it scrapped and priced it accordingly. My brother thanked them for their efforts on behalf of our steam group.
Mike, my brother, told me to tell you that you need this and you will never find these parts any cheaper!!! ---------------TWD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thomas Diehl For This Post:
Old 07-07-2011, 11:14:34 PM
Registered

Exclamation Re: Double cylinder Huber steam engine

And there's the con-rod and the bearing cap I need right there!!!!! And I ain't got the !@#$@# money....
Old 07-07-2011, 11:49:23 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyIron View Post
there is no "T" on the pipe between them, so I can't see the source in parallel.
The valve chest on the Huber cylinder is just a big empty box with the D-valve in it. So, threading pipes into the valve chest cover is effectively using the chest as a manifold. That's where I think the engines are connected in parallel. If it were hooked up as a compound with the Huber being the low pressure, then the inlet pipe on the top of the Huber valve chest would have to be plugged. I'm not sure why there's a T on what I'm calling the piston valve engine's exhaust, unless that T connected to the Huber exhaust (looks like it is) and both were plumbed to a single exhaust nozzle in the boiler that ran the engines... Anyway, I'm not trying to argue about it, but just presenting my case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	huberchest.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	110175  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brad Kelley For This Post:
Old 07-08-2011, 12:08:11 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,840 Times in 877 Posts

Howdy Brad! I'm going to stick with the LP bandwagon, but great case!
The Following User Says Thank You to GreasyIron For This Post:
Old 07-08-2011, 02:58:25 PM
Registered

Well, talked to the fellows selling the engine....might try to see if I can work something out on it where I can buy the darn thing. Hate to spend any $$$ right now ....but seriously doubt I could find those parts any where else!

David, thanks for posting it in the first place, Ken & Tom for researching and telling us what it is and that I need it!
Mike M
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike McKnight For This Post:
Old 07-08-2011, 03:35:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,900 Times in 772 Posts

Mike, I'll be honest, I barely know jack about steam, but I work only about 10 minutes away from this guy. It sounds like they are pretty helpful sellers, but if you need someone to run over and take a few extra photo's for you or something let me know. (no, I don't know the sellers).

I notice they also have a couple of other steam items for sale on there so the same offer applies. if this came from hedtke's, the description of the governor is kinda interesting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Searl For This Post:
Old 07-08-2011, 04:50:35 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Kelley View Post
The valve chest on the Huber cylinder is just a big empty box with the D-valve in it. So, threading pipes into the valve chest cover is effectively using the chest as a manifold. That's where I think the engines are connected in parallel. If it were hooked up as a compound with the Huber being the low pressure, then the inlet pipe on the top of the Huber valve chest would have to be plugged. I'm not sure why there's a T on what I'm calling the piston valve engine's exhaust, unless that T connected to the Huber exhaust (looks like it is) and both were plumbed to a single exhaust nozzle in the boiler that ran the engines... Anyway, I'm not trying to argue about it, but just presenting my case.
Brad has presented his case very well and he is correct. These are set up to work in parallel to each other not compound. Both exhausts are piped together thru the T. This will be an awesome engine to play with, maybe the start of a road locomotive... I did ask the seller the over dimensions length, width, and the bore & stroke. He couldn’t tell the bore & stroke but it is approximately 6’ by 4’.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBoss16806 For This Post:
Old 07-08-2011, 05:03:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,515 Times in 663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McKnight View Post
Well, talked to the fellows selling the engine....might try to see if I can work something out on it where I can buy the darn thing. Hate to spend any $$$ right now ....but seriously doubt I could find those parts any where else!
Mike M
I hope you get it Mike! It always makes me feel good to see something like this go to some one that can really use it.
Be sure to stop by on your way to pick it up.

Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Kunz For This Post:
Old 07-08-2011, 10:32:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,637 Times in 1,053 Posts

Mike,

Just sell me something and then you can buy these parts!!!