Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

E-Bay bidding reserve

this thread has 41 replies and has been viewed 4772 times

Old 12-18-2011, 04:51:32 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,252 Times in 1,162 Posts
Default E-Bay bidding reserve

I'm not a cheap bidder, but I wish E-Bay would require the Seller to announce their reserve price or include a 'Buy now' so you would know whether to make a bid or pass it up.
I know the Sellers are just fishing to see what they might get without risking selling it too cheap. but it would save EVERYBODY a lot of time and trouble. I know E-Bay doesn't give a rip! it's just more listings for them. I really don't know why I even bother going there, it always gets my blood pressure up over nothing.
Jus' Sayin'!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David M. Lyon For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2011, 05:13:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,844 Times in 1,726 Posts
Default Re: E-Bay bidding reserve

The reserve is hidden so that you will bid and not pass it up. It is not wise on the seller's or eBay's parts to have the reserve known. That's just how auctions work.

There's still deals to be had on eBay. Recently I happened to see a $500 toy steam engine just after it was listed with a very cheap "buy it now" price and I snapped it up!

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Junkologist For This Post:
Old 12-18-2011, 05:53:03 PM
Registered

Saw that!~ The instant you bid what you think is a fair price, the warning comes up 'RESERVE NOT MET"... So in effect, they ARE semi, sorta', kinda', almost, telling you to just move on
The Following User Says Thank You to David M. Lyon For This Post:
Old 12-18-2011, 07:42:07 PM

Thanked 6,765 Times in 4,300 Posts
Exclamation Re: E-Bay bidding reserve

Buy It Now ensures that the seller's reserve is met, and he gets what he feels the engine is worth. Once a bid is made, buy it now is supposed to go away, and the item is not sold until the reserve (what the seller wants) is met. Once the reserve is met - high bidder wins. Thats an auction. The highest bidder wins, as long as what the seller wants is passed. I believe that Ebay will allow the highest bidder to meet the reserve price, if he wants the item (second chance?). If the reserve isn't met, either a re-list at a lower reserve or a withdrawel of the item happens.
Andrew
Old 12-18-2011, 07:59:44 PM

My pet peeve about ebay is that everything I want should be closer & cheaper. They won't even act on my complaint.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tom Stockton For This Post:
Old 12-18-2011, 08:27:43 PM
Registered

What I cant fiqure out, why do two or more bidders fight it out several days before an item ends. All it does is drive the price right through the roof... I know the seller isnt complaining...
Old 12-18-2011, 08:45:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,844 Times in 1,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M. Lyon View Post
Saw that!~ The instant you bid what you think is a fair price, the warning comes up 'RESERVE NOT MET"... So in effect, they ARE semi, sorta', kinda', almost, telling you to just move on
Yeah, but that evil little voice is still telling you to place one more bid to see if the reserve will be met!

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
Old 12-18-2011, 08:49:15 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by twslandlord View Post
My pet peeve about ebay is that everything I want should be closer & cheaper. They won't even act on my complaint.
I feel your pain, there is almost never anything I can afford anywhere close to me. Seems there were alot more engines used up north and west than here in the south east.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:49:22 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,935 Times in 430 Posts

but it would save EVERYBODY a lot of time and trouble

I do not see how it causes you any trouble if there is an unknown reserve. Just place your bid for the highest amount you are willing to pay and if it meets reserve you may get it if it dosn't meet reserve all you did was press a couple of buttons. (and a lot less then it took for you to write your complaint on here.) :
Old 12-18-2011, 08:52:18 PM
Registered

On Ebay, I almost always just bid what I can afford to pay for an item and let it ride. Most of the time I get outbid and that is that. But every once in a while I luck up. Hard to collect and enjoy engines on a budget, but I love the few I have
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to specfour For This Post:
Old 12-18-2011, 08:55:52 PM

Thanked 20,661 Times in 5,982 Posts

When I sell on ebay I start the bidding at the lowest price I will sell......period.
No extra reserve fees from ebay and the bidder knows what's what right off the bat.......
If I don't sell tough......I'll keep it.......
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 12-18-2011, 09:35:00 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,150 Times in 626 Posts

I have sold enough things on ebay(,I actually consided it dabled),that I have learned several things. The first thing a bidder should know is that I am not trying to sell it because you want a bargain.I usually am trying to buy something else,33% of my feed back is for purchases.
I have watched countless items sell,and bid at least 20 one on things I did not win.
When selling with buy it now,with a low min bid,in automotive,the buy it now stays on there after some one lowball bids. Some people with more sales are allowed to keep buy it now,after a min. bid in other catagories. I am not one. I have seen several things cheap enough, the buy it now was a_bargain,but some numb skull bids the min. 10 bucks,like they are going to get it. Then the thing goes off scale,because the buy it now is gone.I have seen things go for 3 times the buy it now.I have had it happen on things I sold too.
I have also learned that if you have a common,but good selling item like a Maytag,or burrmill,you must take a chance,and start it for the lowest bid you can stand. It is cheaper to list,the lower you go,.99,9.99,24.99,49.99. If you try and start a $200 item,for 200,you get about 5 watchers,if its a good item,or some one like the Ranger,with a saleable item,like a cart,it will sell,but for me,no way.A low starting price is the only way to get a good price.
So I either have to take a terrible chance everyone will be asleep,or what ever,and loose my item,and usually not to a collector,almost always a dealer,(I will end the auction if its with in the time limit),or put a reserve on it,which costs more money to list.That can compare to starting something for .99,verses about $7.00.
Some people will not bid on a reserve item, many dealers will tell you the reserve,it certainly makes it bring much more to get a lot of bids on an item. I think that bidders are nuts,like a gambler,or a sheep,they see a lot of bids,so they bid,like an idiot,some one else wants it syndrome.Start the same thing for the price it would bring with a lot of bids,and it will never sell,for me anyway.
Some people think it immoral to bid it up ones self,but it is no worse than paying the price for the reserve,and no doubt the reason ebay won't allow it,so they can have the fee. I think it more immoral for bidders to contact each other,or call dibs,knowing now who is bidding by their feed back,and not running up an item. I know several people that do that.As the auctioneer use to say,those guys are like a bunch of cattle buyers,they won't run each other up.
In Iowa,it is state law,at a consignment auction,you may refuse to sell the item,and most people bid it in,just for sake of silence.I go to a lot of auctions,and you will see people when selling an item,as they collect the bidders number,they shout out "NO SALE",then under law,they are suppose to set a price,then the bidder has about 10 seconds to take it ,or counter the offer. A lot of dealers selling will just let the item go,thinking they bought some thing not worth any more. When I consign an item and a dealer has a low ball bid,I always no sale items.
Worse yet,usually in Mo.,the auctioneer conives some ole boy into having an absolute acution,where you must sell all things for what is bid.Then all the neighbors come in,take lotto's,and bid a buck on everything. I have known people that had this happen,and they could not get the auctioneer to stop the sale. Some times they don't advertise when doing this to some one.
There are a lot of hard fellings over who gets what at an auction.I have people that started out friends,but when they see me buy things they wanted,they hate me.There are no friends or neighbors in love,or auctions.
The bottom line,if you want something on eBay,bid,bid 130% if you need it,then you can be glad you did not get it. I always bid early,because I won't be near the computer to bid again.
And seldom if ever worry about a negative feed back. People are assassins,they will leave a negative,just to prove the are pee'd off billy goats.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matthew Guy Clarke For This Post:
Old 12-18-2011, 10:25:01 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,578 Times in 900 Posts

I saw a magnito on the other day, 14 Dec, right before it went off. buy it now or best offer. So I made an offer I was told my offer was accepted. So I payed the invoice includeing shipping and handleing. It has been 4 days now and I still have heard nothing. Bill K
Old 12-18-2011, 10:33:23 PM
Registered

I personally decide on how much I will pay for "said item" then wait till the end of sale is near. If it's still below my number then I bid; otherwise I move on.

I do like buy it now because if the price is right I don't have to wait.

I have noticed that you can email the seller and ask them what their reserve price is. Some will & some won't tell you.

A reserve price should reflect a reasonable, fair price otherwise it just wastes everyone's time! ....seller included.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:00:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,150 Times in 626 Posts

Proff.,4 days is nothing,look and see how many things the guy is selling.If his feed back is high,he is doing a lot of it,so it is a pain to answer a bunch of messages. I have messaged several people that had 100 items selling,some of my questions may have been trivial,and they never answered.
If the payment went through,it's probubly in the mail.I do not know why most dealers do not check the item shipped box. I awlays do.
Also look at the shipping time. I allways check the 15 days to mail as I go out of town a lot. When people slam me with 1 start on shipping time,I block them from bidding. I have seen people leave negatives for people taking 15 days to ship. I block them too,even if it is not my sale.
Patience is a vertue!
Old 12-18-2011, 11:06:27 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,468 Times in 681 Posts

"When I sell on ebay I start the bidding at the lowest price I will sell". Same with me. I been selling on there 13 year and never put a reserve on. Look up wrenchguy, i just put some pickens on there. thanks.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:20:56 AM
Registered

Quote:
I'm not a cheap bidder, but I wish E-Bay would require the Seller to announce their reserve price or include a 'Buy now' so you would know whether to make a bid or pass it up.
I know the Sellers are just fishing to see what they might get without risking selling it too cheap. but it would save EVERYBODY a lot of time and trouble. I know E-Bay doesn't give a rip! it's just more listings for them. I really don't know why I even bother going there, it always gets my blood pressure up over nothing.
Jus' Sayin'!
David,

Ebay gives you the option of searching only "Buy it Now" auctions. So, your problem is completely solved, and you will never have to worry about it again.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:57:49 AM
Registered

Bill..... I like complaining! problem NOT solved! ....If nobody complains, Nothing gets changed!~
Old 12-19-2011, 01:33:39 AM
Sponsor

Thumbs up Re: E-Bay bidding reserve

I am an Ebay buyer. I will bid past the price I would give for something. If I want it, I will buy it unless it passes my top dollar. If it does not reach reserve the seller wants more than any of us are willing to pay. It is simple math.( Polaticions) (how do you spell it? It is a corrupt word in its` self.) do not understand math, We all should.If you want it, bid your best price on it. The person has their reserve. I know I would. I`m not going to give my stuff away unless you are a really nice sincere guy. I might give you everything if you win my trust and you make me like you. Otherwise I have a reserve on the stuff I have for sale. All us guys out here in engine land know each other. I know a lot of people all around the world through the engine hobby. We are all friends and I would not chew (JEW) any of these people down on their prices. I have paid more for about everything I ever bought. Who really cares. I know I don`t. If you don`t have enough money, Figure out how to make more money. The governmet hands out money for those who can`t support themselves. M&WJoe

---------- Post added at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

MikeO, I am right behind you. I bought a very nice engine from you several years ago and you helped me get it home. Did I jew with you? NO. I knew you were trustworthy in 10 seconds when I emailed you. We had a good transaction. You are a top notch person to deal with. I had no doubts and never had met you. I hope to someday. This is trust. The old fashioned way. Ebay is a way to get out to everyone to sell you product over a world wide area. If you want something, Communicate with the seller. He is only a couple states away from you. If not, let it go. I`m not going to tell you my reserve unles you talk to me on a personal basis. If you are nice enough I might just give it to you. M&WJoe
The Following User Says Thank You to M&WJOE For This Post:
Old 12-19-2011, 09:43:50 AM

Quote:
..but it would save EVERYBODY a lot of time and trouble...
It's amazing how the meaning of that term has changed over the years. I can remember when driving 25+ miles to look at something and coming home empty handed was considered "time and trouble" not sitting in the comfort of your home wasting a minute clicking on a button or two.

As far as the reserves go, I have seen where sellers have put reserves on items, gotten bids, than lowered the reserve so it would sell. If people had known what the reserve was, there would more than likely had been no bids and no happy buyer or seller.