Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines

Fairbanks Morse 4 Cylinder 32E14 Engine

this thread has 86 replies and has been viewed 12770 times

Old 03-25-2016, 07:34:30 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,062 Times in 276 Posts
Default Re: Fairbanks Morse 4 cylinder 32E14 engine

It is great to see some of these big verticals get saved. Not terrible old and fancy but they sure run nice. To many of them get scrapped out. Thanks for your clubs efforts to make this happen.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2016, 08:48:19 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 4,873 Times in 947 Posts

Conrad I saw that method but the piece of paper would have to be 5 Ft long and 4 FT wide and the biggest printer on earth. Besides seat of the pants is much more fun. Maybe see you tomorrow. Ed B
Old 03-26-2016, 06:58:02 PM
In Memory Of

Today Saturday 26th was an overcast but in the 50s. I took all the finished generator mounting parts up to the Farm yesterday and today we began the final alignment and bolt down process. Pic No 1 shows Art and his son Dave conferring on what steps to follow. Once the main frames are measured and bolted into the forms we were ready to cross bolt everything together. Many feet is 1/2 inch threaded rod was attached between the outer forms and the main framework to keep everything true and square when the concrete is poured. Pic No 2 and 3 is a long view of the work in progress. Last pic is a view looking down at the generator hold down bolts in place and bolted to the foundation floor. The next step is to install a wooden form in between the hold downs that will be the flywheel well. More coming soon Ed B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0127.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	249920   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0133.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	249921   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0134.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	249922   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0135.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	249924  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Bezanson For This Post:
Old 03-27-2016, 09:44:35 AM
Subscriber

Wow really nice work guys, wish I lived closer to help..
Ed a few questiond,
1 is the 45 cut sealed well to keep water out?.
2 are you going to set the engine gen set up on the rods and grout the pipe space?.
3 Thank GOD you guys did not have common core education ... this would never be attainable ......

keep up the great work, a lot of education can be found in this project
Old 03-27-2016, 07:48:38 PM
In Memory Of

The 45 angle is held together with a 4 inch stainless steel band bolted with about 40 3/8 bolts tapped into the plastic pipe. there are some gaps but I plan on covering it with tape before we pour leftover cement in a small form placed around it. We will also put a drain valve in the bottom of the pipe just inside the wall in the open space we will leave around the engine
Yes the whole thing will be grouted in place once everything is level and bolted down.
We are very close to pouring concrete. Cant wait Pictures will follow. Ed B
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Bezanson For This Post:
Old 04-11-2016, 10:04:50 AM
Registered-I

We completed work on the forms for the Fairbanks over the weekend, as well as formed up the air intake tube, a couple of pipe pits on the rear wall for services to both engines, and the two rear piers that support the roof (under the barrels in the pic)

We plan to provide starting air, fuel and radiator cooling under the floor within some 6" pipes we have on hand so that these pipes will come up right next to the engine where we need them.

Wednesday is supposed to be 60 degrees and sunny, so we hope to do a triple check of all measurements, as well as talk over everything needed to be supplied to the engines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fairbanks foundation 001.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	251276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fairbanks foundation 002.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	251277  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artc For This Post:
Old 04-12-2016, 07:43:02 PM
Registered-I

Back in 1966 I was engineer on a big tug boat out of fort Lauderdale. I ran a six cylinder 32E14. There were still a bunch of those big diesels running in boats back then. Busch-Sulzer, Enterprise, Atlas, some F-M opposed piston engines that they used in submarines in the war, and others I don't right off remember.

The economics changed shortly thereafter. It required two engineers to run the engine room, 6 hours on, 6 hours off, whereas with one of the new fast turning diesel engines, they don't need an engineer. Of course they have to replace the engines every few years at 75,000 dollars a crack, but that is now cheaper than the cost of the engineers. You never had to replace a F-M 32.

Richard
The Following User Says Thank You to Rasper For This Post:
Old 04-13-2016, 07:55:10 PM
In Memory Of

Richard Thanks for your memories. The mention of Submarines brings a memory to me. I taught Auto Mechanics at Fitch High School in Groton, CT which goes by the name Submarine Capital of the World. For many years there was a Submarine Tender [Fulton] from WWII docked across the Thames River in New London, CT. It stayed there till the mid 70's when all the Diesel subs were finally sold off to foreign countries and it was mothballed. On 2 occasions I took my shop students on a field trip to the Fulton. As I remember it was powered by the same big diesels found in the Diesel Subs and if a boat needed a new engine it was pulled out of the Tender and switched with the one in the Sub. I don't know how the switch was made but this happened in war time all around the world. It must have been a major operation similar to modern open heart surgery. Ed B
Old 04-13-2016, 09:03:10 PM
Registered-I

What a job that must have been. How would they even get it out of a sub? To get that F-M 32 out of our tug boat, we would have had to remove most of the deck house.

Our tug was a mess. The engine room was oily. One time we were at sea and the bilge pump strainers all got stopped up with rags that had fallen in the bilge over the years. We couldn't pump bilge. That big flywheel was throwing oily bilge water everywhere. What a mess. I stripped down and went swimming—in the bilge. I looked like James Dean did in the film, Giant, after his oil rig struck a gusher.

My favorite tug boat back then was the Sally Mac. Her engine room was all painted white, and was spotless. She had a huge Busch-Sulzer engine.

We were all on the Miami River, back before downtown Miami got gentrified. That river was a fascinating place back then. I once walked into a small warehouse and found piles of old Allison aircraft engines stacked up. You could find anything there. Now it's all sterilized with condominiums. About as interesting as a trip to MacDonalds.

Richard
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rasper For This Post:
Old 04-22-2016, 06:41:23 PM
Registered-I

poured 22 yards of concrete today. Ed has pictures he'll post shortly. some of the pour was for the Atlas engine, but the most was for the Fairbanks. I was sweating it out because I ordered the concrete - and 22 yards is two maxed out trucks. Fortunately, the last pour spot was one yard and would not hold up any work on the project if it did not get poured, so it was last.

We filled it, no problem! only had one small bulge out on my form work...OK maybe two but it's all good!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artc For This Post: