Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan Mystique-Why so much respect?

this thread has 96 replies and has been viewed 4284 times

Old 09-30-2015, 11:57:44 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,677 Times in 4,118 Posts
Default Re: Onan Mystique-Why so much respect?

Magnetite's and my IGBT are dead.

Eric ..... I don't know much about IGBT failure modes or what leads to them, except basic stuff like voltage , amps, junction temp. On Magnetite's replacement the gate breakdown voltage is a low ~ 25V, seems many are this low. But gate has an external zener on it to another IGBT lead to protect it. I'm a ME and understand some EE but the EEs I worked with handled the heavy EE details. That was some time ago and IGBTs weren't around yet.

As I recall Flight Systems NHE regs have the Volt/HZ function and their manual still carry the warning to clean slip rings or warentee is void. So I assume they haven't been able to solve the problem either.

Thermal wattage dispensations calculations seem ok, but got to get mine running and measure actual temp. My initial thoughts were use a IGBT with higher ratings and physically bigger package for better cooling. But a little looking suggests voltage drop increases as other specs increase. So wattage dissipation increases (heating).

Onan's IGBT number seems to be a proprietary one , Magnetite couldn't find any specs on it and I looked a bit too. From way he talked I think he was a EE or an electronics tech. I'll look up the Onan IGBT number tomorrow. It's in Magnetite's thead towards the end http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showth...t=99743&page=6

Last edited by len k; 10-01-2015 at 01:18:17 AM. Reason: basic stuff like voltage , amps, junction temp
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2015, 12:12:36 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,647 Times in 1,104 Posts

Again, by no means my expertise, but would a MOSFET be a better choice in this circuit? I thought those have very low forward voltage drop... Isn't that what pretty much all high power electronics (like inverters and such) use now a days?

Keith
Old 10-01-2015, 01:14:27 AM
Registered-III

I'm not good enough in EE to design that and feel comfortable I got it right, for reliability.

IGBT's are a combination of features of easy driving the inputs for FETS and lower on resistance of bi-polar transistor. I read bi-polars are harder to get the base drive and bias right.

Last edited by len k; 10-01-2015 at 02:48:54 AM. Reason: in EE to design that
Old 10-01-2015, 01:20:22 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,647 Times in 1,104 Posts

I have heard of IGBTs being used in very high power applications, like inverter drives for AC traction motors on locomotives. I guess they come in gargantuan sizes!

Keith
Old 10-01-2015, 02:48:21 AM
Registered-III

Hock puck size, or maybe 6 inch diameter package I think, for DC cross country power lines ( ~ 450 KV wrt ground) . DC to AC converter sub-stations.
Maybe 3+ volt voltage drop X 500 amps, water cooled.
Guessing many IGBT hockey pucks in parallel or series to take the amps, volts.

IGBT's claim to fame is it's easy to design drive to it's gate, and it has low voltage drop. So heating of it's core silicon chip is lower, so cooling requirements are lower.

Last edited by len k; 10-01-2015 at 03:02:28 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 10-01-2015, 05:45:42 AM
Registered-III

Most likely even absolutely, a non proprietary IGBT substitution will work. All semiconductors have operating ranges. As long as that range is not exceeded the device will function properly. Maybe do some measuring of voltages involved and just pick one to fit with high amp rating. I have subbed mosfets and rebuilt several inverters using totally different part numbers and they all worked ok. I upgraded the amp ratings.

http://www.ixys.com/documents/appnot...bt_basic_i.pdf

Likely this is the failure, and newer IGBT's are better designed, so less likely to fail
Quote:
There is a possibility of latchup due to the internal PNPN thyristor structure.
Basically they get turned on and dont turn off so burn up due to the current flow.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:12:05 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,834 Times in 2,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by len k View Post
As I recall Flight Systems NHE regs have the Volt/HZ function and their manual still carry the warning to clean slip rings or warentee is void. So I assume they haven't been able to solve the problem either.
The old Onan VR21 regulator used on the UR generator heads had a Volt/HZ function activated by changing a jumper. It's just a simple RC circuit.

For Flight Systems to sell a drop in replacement voltage regulator, they need to keep the same small package size, which I believe is part of the problem. As hobbyists, we are not constrained in the same way. If one of my regulators were to fail, I plan to fully reverse engineer it and manufacture a larger replacement with a heftier output stage and better heat sinking.