Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan Prices on Ebay and CraigsList

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 1793 times

Old 09-21-2015, 08:30:56 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,861 Times in 1,099 Posts
Default Onan Prices on Ebay and CraigsList

Since the time I acquired my 15.0JC last year, I monitor Ebay and CraigList on a daily basis looking for another Onan toy at a reasonable price. In general I am seeing prices far above what I call reasonable. For example, I see many 15.0JCs and equivalent with prices in the $3k to $4k range. I look at the pictures and many looked as if the were pulled out and dragged by a bull dozer. In some cases some of the tin is missing, dented and bashed. I read the description and in many cases the seller has no clue I they currently run (but they claim their gensets ran 10 years ago). Do these over priced used / abused gensets worth the price the seller asks????

Some of the better looking gensets seem to look brand new with a shiney coat of paint, but a closer inspection of the picture shows paint overspray on everything below it indicting it was just sprayed prior to snapping the pictures. Is a half-ass paint job worth an extra $1500 above the actual value of the genset????

In both of the above cases, do these over priced actually sell?

I have a 15.0 JC that I meticulously refurbished piece by piece. No expense was spared. It runs 100% flawlessly. I would put it up against any 15.0 JC for reliability and functionality, but if I sold it, I really don't think I'd get more than $1,800 to $2,000.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2015, 08:56:07 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Onan Prices on Ebay and CraigsList

Johnny
There was a 15kw JC not far from you in Middletown NY posted on cl in August. Ad was only up a few days asking $500. Don't remember all the details but the pic looked ok and I think it ran.
Probably sold, but if I see it re-posted I will let you know.
Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray Lynch For This Post:
Old 09-21-2015, 08:56:17 AM
Subscriber

Johnny- u r 100 percent correct. I think the sellers scan the internet, also this forum and base their price according to what they see.

If u notice most adds are worded very similar (ran when removed etc.) Also if u notice many sets are posted forever. Do they ever sell ? prob. not for the price being asked.

As far as a paint job, i guess sellers think people are stupid and wont notice that. As said here many times if u see something call, inspect, and pay accordingly. U know the deal.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:02:21 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,937 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
Do these over priced used / abused gensets worth the price the seller asks????
In a word, NO! In two words, Absolutely NO! I can't imagine anyone paying those prices. Of course, there is always someone out there...

Quote:
Is a half-ass paint job worth an extra $1500 above the actual value of the genset????
Of course not. But it does help sell the generator. A lot of buyers don't look closely and miss the telltail signs of a "Rattle Can Refurb", at least until they get it home. Someone here once called it "$3000 a gallon paint". Very common at equipment auctions.

Quote:
In both of the above cases, do these over priced actually sell?
On Craigslist, not so much. On Ebay you see the same overpriced generators month after month, sometimes for years. There are a number of sellers who believe that if you put it in front of enough people, sooner or later someone stupid enough will come along. And they are correct!

A seller in Maine had an old beat up LK on Ebay for over two years, asking $1,500. It finally disappeared. I always wondered if he gave up or someone purchased it.

The other thing you really have to watch on Ebay is the shill bidders. It happens a lot with Onan generators. One legitimate bid is received, then a couple of "bidders" with feedbacks of 0, 3, 4 (or less than 10) start bidding it up. This seems to create interest from real bidders, who somehow come to believe that it must be worth the asking price if so many people are bidding. You would think people would look at the feedback of rival bidders, but apparently the desire to "win it" at any cost overcomes common sense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin K For This Post:
Old 09-21-2015, 09:29:58 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,716 Times in 1,378 Posts

We here at the Stak did not fall off the potato wagon last week people may ask ridiculous prices but we know they are dreaming do they get there price I would say no if they do someone probably got took big time.
On ebay there is an older CCK 4.0 been for sale way over a year for 699.00 then there is a AJ 2.75 for 995.00 imagine that price for a 3600 rpm screamer I got to AJ,s free of charge to haul away they both run and look good me knowing what there are I would not buy another one less it was dirt cheap.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:46:22 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,034 Times in 1,221 Posts

One has to be dreaming if they think by refurbishing the old Onan's they can command a high price. Frankly they all are only worth scarp metal prices. To me the only enjoyment an owner receives is in refurbishing and running a once fine machine. So keep it like I do as an insurance policy should the lights go out. The Stak members who have a good knowledge of these machines as I think I do, would always look a bit skeptical on any seller as to the integrity of the refurbishment. I do not trust anyone when it comes to this stuff. Since these machines are no longer serviceable by the original manufacturer, and parts are not available and how does one know if the seller knows what he is talking about, to me they are worth very little, even with a nice paint job. It is too bad, but that is the way it goes. The stuff they are selling today cannot compare with the old 1800 RPM units.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leon N. For This Post:
Old 09-21-2015, 11:01:43 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,977 Times in 1,284 Posts

Im always shaking my head at the asking prices I see on cl.. from ccks on half assed made wood carts for 1500 to emerald ones with the * ran when removed years ago* for 2500..

Then there are some on cl for a few hundred bucks not running that never sell.. you would think the sellers would see this and say well that one is 300 been posted for 2 months.. and list it for a little less.. but nope posting it for tripple must mean its special and will surely sell.

One must learn patience when buying old onans.. eventually a few good ones for a good price will show up
The Following User Says Thank You to yellowlister For This Post:
Old 09-21-2015, 12:15:31 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,432 Times in 3,943 Posts

I think people selling quickly scan Ebay ads to determine price and go with the highest one there , or even higher in case it was too cheap. That's one way to determine an initial asking price. Thing is they don't realize that most Ebay sellers have copied each other's pricing technique so the prices has been re-marked up several times. And prices are so overpriced they don't sell, some sellers sit on that high price for a year.

Thing is , sometimes people will pay it if you wait a few years. There was a several week widespread power outage during a multi state Northeast ice storm a few years ago , almost all gens disappeared from Ebay for ~ 6 months.

That being said when I first started looking for a gen there was a not bad looking JC 2 hours north of me for $400. But it was just too heavy for me easily transport. Good thing too, that big engine drinks 1 gal gasoline/hour $$$ even at no-load. Good if you need it but 15kw was way too large of a gen for my home.

Last edited by len k; 09-21-2015 at 12:29:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 09-21-2015, 12:45:12 PM
Kpack

I don't mind the high prices if the work is done right or they've been taken care of and can been demonstrated working right.
But when there beat up and given to someone that thinks they can get a fortune for them is just wrong.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:36:51 PM
Registered-III

To me, something as important as this, how are you going to determine if the work was done right? Just the other day, I saw a guy at the grocery store parking lot pouring water from a gallon jug he just purchased into his relatively new car radiator. How does the saying go? Caviat emptor, let the buyer beware.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:43:03 PM
Registered-III

For me I want to see it make power now, and even then I won't come close to pay sky high pricing.

Without seeing it run you can't pay much or it's a gamble you won't have to spend years trying to get your money back parting it out or waiting for another sucker.

When I bought my 7NHM it only sorta ran and didn't make power, but I tested the $$$ windings to make sure they were good and played with engine before I made a low offer. Turned out to just need a carb cleaning and AC voltage reg.

I made offer low enough so even if I had to buy $$ electronic moduals I still wouldn't pay more than a perfectly running gen was really worth.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 09-21-2015, 03:28:16 PM
Kpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon N. View Post
To me, something as important as this, how are you going to determine if the work was done right? Just the other day, I saw a guy at the grocery store parking lot pouring water from a gallon jug he just purchased into his relatively new car radiator. How does the saying go? Caviat emptor, let the buyer beware.
I'm looking for people like you Leon that knows how to do it right.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Old 09-21-2015, 05:54:35 PM
Registered-III

How do,you know I know how to do it right? That guy pouring water into his radiator apparently did not know that he should be using a 50/50 mixture of water and antifreeze. Perhaps just doing water will get him home, but wait till the Winter comes! Similarly, I know from reading the Stak over the years, several times folks are not aware of the subtles in what, how and why certain parts although functionally equivalent are not the same, e.g., certain piece parts for gaseous vs gasoline operation.
My wife seems to think I am nuts about this Onan machine I have. Well, yes, being an electro-mechanical engineer I can appreciate what the Onan manuals are telling me. And, I have concluded that what I have is unique, unique in the sense that it will.never be duplicated and I feel very comfortable having it available and reliable when needed.

No, I do not have all the answers and will not speculate. Why should I? I like reading the Stak and wil help out when I can.

Leon
The Following User Says Thank You to Leon N. For This Post:
Old 09-21-2015, 07:37:51 PM
Kpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon N. View Post
How do,you know I know how to do it right? That guy pouring water into his radiator apparently did not know that he should be using a 50/50 mixture of water and antifreeze. Perhaps just doing water will get him home, but wait till the Winter comes! Similarly, I know from reading the Stak over the years, several times folks are not aware of the subtles in what, how and why certain parts although functionally equivalent are not the same, e.g., certain piece parts for gaseous vs gasoline operation.
My wife seems to think I am nuts about this Onan machine I have. Well, yes, being an electro-mechanical engineer I can appreciate what the Onan manuals are telling me. And, I have concluded that what I have is unique, unique in the sense that it will.never be duplicated and I feel very comfortable having it available and reliable when needed.

No, I do not have all the answers and will not speculate. Why should I? I like reading the Stak and wil help out when I can.

Leon
Well Leon if I had to have a gen I would buy a used onan because of the quality. Now I would pay by what the gen looked like as in taken care of and I would try to judge what the seller is telling me if he is full bull or not. If he's full of bull I would low ball him if he had a pretty nice gen and if I thought he was knowledgeable And truthfully I would give more it's just like buying a used car it's a crap shoot. All that has to weigh in on the price.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Old 09-21-2015, 10:28:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,221 Posts

I prefer sets that are not refurbished in any way. Chances are, they're fine. Generally best if they are NOT demonstrated to be running. Yes, it's a gamble, but on average, it's worked out for me.

You'll pay a premium if you make the owner demo it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim McIntyre For This Post:
Old 09-21-2015, 10:45:12 PM
Registered-III

I agree, best price is a raw unit. Plus that way you can see what it really looks like, and how rough it is.

I do like to test things on it before making a low offer. especially the $$$ windings.

If it's not making power if you fix it during testing so it makes 120V don't let seller see that or price likely will go up. Use a voltmeter , not a lightbulb.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 09-22-2015, 10:41:56 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,716 Times in 1,378 Posts

The second onan I bought I had the fever it was a non running BGE 4.0 and the fellow he was the kind look you right in the eye and lie he said all it needs is carb cleaned wanted 350 he was a good talker it lay in the dust on the barn floor I should of just walked away but I said would you take 250 what a mistake long story short I got it running but it never made power it was grounded so I had probably 500 in it the voltage regulator I bought new I gave it to Fishin Fire fighter here at the Stak one Christmas and scraped the rest of it I still think if I ever see that fellow I would PUNCH him in the NOSE If I was to buy another Onan I would not be Afraid to buy one from any one of you guys here on The smokstak cause I know you all would be honest and tell the truth . I still am looking for a nice old vintage DJC 12.5 OR 15 KW for the Son in law and my Daughter and my granddaughters so fellows if you ever want to part with one let me know maybe could possible to make a road trip be nice to meet another fellow ONANITIUS fever ridden green addict any how may the force be with us and our lights always burn bright .AMEN
The Following User Says Thank You to Onan Dan For This Post:
Old 09-22-2015, 12:35:39 PM
Registered-III

That's why I studied the manuals and Stak threads to learn how to test windings in my NHM (BGE/NHE type) before I bought it. I also searched part numbers and prices for the high dollar electronic moduals ( windings, gov modual, gov actuator, ac reg, control board) before I went to see the gen. I went from knowing nothing about NHE/NHM to an educated buyer. Gen was advertised as not making power and needing work, price was $400, after testing I felt OK with paying $200 and dragged it home. Cleaned carb and it ran perfectly, just needs an AC reg.

When I saw the AC reg and electronic gov weren't working I dropped my offer by the price of buying those new parts. Turned out gov shuts down if rpm is not within a tight rpm range, and it was good.

Always got to assume seller is lying about it's condition. Growing up at dad's garage I once had a guy coast a car into the lot and wanted to sell it, he said it ran fine. I told him to start it up, he said it ran fine. I made him start it, the engine was making all kinds of noises and I couldn't see to the other side of the yard for all the dense white smoke screen pouring out the tailpipe. I sent him on his way.

Last edited by len k; 09-22-2015 at 01:02:19 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:46:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,373 Times in 808 Posts

I have a little different approach to buying. I almost never buy generators demonstrated running and making electric , they are cheaper that way. I am dubious that the seller knows anything about why the gen does not run or make power in any case. I went to look at a 3 cyl diesel 10Kw for $500 a while ago and it turned out to be a 10Kw CCKB which I got for $100, talk about ill informed sellers. I try to research the unit before I go look at it if I have never had one before. I find this approach yields the lowest prices which for me means I might be able to break even after putting some money into it. If the seller puts in a high price I will wait a couple of months till it becomes obvious that it is not going to move. I have waited as long as a couple of years sometimes. Very seldom can you convince a seller to reduce their price right away as they have looked at some of the same units online and can't see that theirs is older and in worse shape than the one on Ebay. They also don't take into account that that Ebay machine has been for sale for months or longer because it is overpriced. Happy hunting Cheers Dan
The Following User Says Thank You to BigBlockChev For This Post:
Old 09-22-2015, 02:22:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 13,697 Times in 6,445 Posts

Over the years I have had dealings with many over priced units. People just don't understand what true value means. Some get very angry when you tell them what a unit is really worth. Guy last year came by with a 3.0 AJ. Asking 1300.00 dollars. Told him I would give him 200 for it. He told me what kind of person I was and left.