Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Value of Onan Generator

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 651 times

Old 10-05-2015, 05:49:38 PM
Registered-I

Talking Value of Onan Generator

Hello, What is the best way for me to value my generator? I just purchased a MEP-002A from DRMO and would like to sell my existing DJB. Pictures can be found in my previous posts. I have no issues with it just wanted the MEP. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, as well as offers!

Model and Spec No. 5.0DJB-3E/4889R
Serial No. L750993369
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2015, 07:10:10 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Value

It is worth whatever someone will pay for it.
Prices seem to vary greatly by region. With the weather scare, right now you might get top dollar if you can show it runs and makes power under load. You might have a hard sell for someone looking at a cheap generator and saying it is rated for more power so it must be better. You know what to tell them about that. For prices in your area I'd suggest Craigslist. Or maybe someone in your area will have a better idea of local prices.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Reed For This Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 07:28:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,258 Posts
Default Re: Value

800 to 1500.. depends on condition, mechanical and cosmetic ( to some people)..and the buyer and how bad he needs it... freezing weather and no power bring crazy prices

I personally would keep it.. for when your hard to find electrical parts mep takes a dump on you when u really need it..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yellowlister For This Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 07:42:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 13,560 Times in 6,389 Posts
Default Re: Value of Onan Generator

I spent 17 years working on MEP units in the Army. Great units when they work. But if they break down. It can be very hard to find some parts. Plus they are expensive.. I would keep the Onan as a backup unit.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:59:52 PM
Subscriber

What? You want to only have ONE Onan? Once you acquire, they can never leave. Them's the rules.

You've been breathing fumes from them high-dollar fireworks they light off over there on the shore...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ArodaPowerCo For This Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 08:34:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,035 Times in 1,193 Posts

Billy nailed it. Sell the MEP-002. It has too many parts to be reliable. It's really nothing more than a DJC with a bunch on additional parts. More parts doesn't mean better. Really.

Use the money to buy another Onan.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:03:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,323 Times in 776 Posts

I would keep the DJB, they are highly desireable, simple, reliable and economical. If it is in good shape it would be a shame to let it go. Play with the MEP for a while before making a decision about which one you like best. Or just keep them both as many have said before. Cheers Dan
Old 10-05-2015, 09:38:13 PM
Registered-I

Well the main reason for buying one then getting another is space, I really don't have the room for 2 generators. Also I move every 3-5 years so I really don't want to lug all of them around. The generator is used for a home back-up generator. Eventually i'll upgrade to a MEP-003. I like the MEPs because of the gauges and meters that are with it. I also like the day tank setup. Eventually I plan to get a ASK for it as well so it'll be quitter than the tank I have now. But please don't get me wrong I like the DJB and it's done me well. Was just wanting an upgrade. I told my wife that I would sell the DJB once I get the MEP up and running reliably.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:45:25 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,153 Times in 914 Posts

As I see it there are advantages and disadvantages both ways. The DJB is going to be consideraby lighter, at least as an individual component, but the MEP-002a is in a nice unitized package that can be easilly sat on a trailer on in the back of a pick up truck (assuming you have a way to lift it). For parts availablility I do give an edge to the DJB, but more and more retrofit parts are showing up for the MEP generators, mostly built and sold by hobbiest. We now have drop in replacements for the AC and DC AVR circuit boards, as well as a drop in replacement for the control board that adds remote strart.

Ike
The Following User Says Thank You to Isaac-1 For This Post: