Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Photos
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Photos OLD gas engines, hot air engines, Diesels and steam engines. An electronic photo gallery to showcase the best of your old engine collection.

Antique Engine Photos

Detroit 3 Hp early style

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 405 times

Old 06-24-2017, 09:39:47 PM
Subscriber

Default Detroit 3 Hp early style

I thought I would share this engine and story...
A club member and old engine friend of mine had an auction not too long ago. It was a bust! There weren't the buyers needed and many items got passed. Well I did buy a couple of things and had planned to come up at a later date to pick up my iron. I get there and visit and deals were struck and I brought home 4 more engines. One is this Detroit.
I got them home and of course I needed to start them. Why would I mess with this stuff? unless I can hear them run. Some are easy, some are a challenge. A couple of these were older restorations and I had seen one of them run a long time ago.
So yeah I get the Detroit going pretty easy because I have messed with em. The interest in this critter is, it's an early style.....like the ones before 1915-16.
So this is good, but I can see a bunch of things that need change and it doesn't have an original tag.
I remember an ad on good old eBay, so I go look it up. Still there and by the pictures the stuff I need.
So I make an offer and bam! I am the new owner. I get with the seller and come to find out this engine belonged to an old customer of mine back in the seventies. Old car guy....I ran a machine shop. And about 10 years ago he looked me up because he got this engine. I had sent him a copy of my manual and gave him some pointers on how to make them run.
It would have been a good reunion, but his son was selling his dads stuff for the mom.....he passed away.
So the parts were so much better, but I am not one for breaking up....piecing out parts. I like to keep it together. But looking it over it was not worth doing. cracked cylinder and badly pitted. I have sleeved them before. But the piston was rusted away.
Long story short. I feel this was meant to be....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0622171549.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	285139   Click image for larger version

Name:	0624171415_HDR.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	285140   Click image for larger version

Name:	0624171417.jpg
Views:	99