Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Photos
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Photos OLD gas engines, hot air engines, Diesels and steam engines. An electronic photo gallery to showcase the best of your old engine collection.

Antique Engine Photos

Wisconsin AENL and ADH

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 6351 times

Old 11-15-2013, 09:40:44 AM
Registered

Default Wisconsin AENL and ADH

My uncle and I have been rebuilding a few Wisconsin engines over the past couple months as a hobby/time killer in the mornings and I just wanted to share our engines and hope you guys can appreciate them!

Lucky we've not had to rebuild any internals yet from our stockpile of the "junk" engines we've bought. Typically just have to set points in magnetos and valve tappet gaps. It's sure is a blast rebuilding these old Wisconsins!

ADH:

AENL:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fairbanks Morse For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2013, 09:44:48 AM
Registered

Default Re: Wisconsin AENL and ADH

Here are a few more as it seems this forum is limited to 4 pictures per post.

AENL:

The Following User Says Thank You to Fairbanks Morse For This Post:
Old 11-15-2013, 09:57:06 AM
Registered

ADH:

We ran the ADH on an AU-TO air compressor we also restored:

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

I hope you guys can appreciate the hard work and attention to detail we have put into our engines! Coming next will be and AEH and hopefully picking up a BKND real soon.

The blurry picture in the above post is actually a video of my ADH running the AU-TO air compressor.

---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

We also have a Gibson tractor running and ADH or AEH ( can never remember the difference between the two) if anyone would like to see it as well!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fairbanks Morse For This Post:
Old 11-15-2013, 10:10:19 AM
Registered-III

Thanks for sharing! The ADH, AEH, AFH, AGH and AHH are my favorite Wisconsin engines. They have lots of low RPM grunt for sure! I love the shielded ignition on that AENL you have. It is such a nice touch to these old engines. I would love to see any of your other restoration projects.

Chris
Old 11-15-2013, 10:14:03 AM
Registered

Thanks for the reply! Yes the AENL is a military engine and has a different spark plus/wire/ and magneto than i have seen. I heard it was to not interfere with radio frequencies from military communication. Also the AENL has a fuel pump which really seem to give it some extra power. She purrs like a kitten!
Old 11-15-2013, 11:23:17 AM
Registered-III

Hi

They look great.

I have one piece of advice, when you mentioned only a tune-up etc. to get them running be cautious this model engine used a piston oil pump with a check ball in the very bottom of the pump and a second check ball in the piston. We had problems with the farm pump engines that sat thru the summer until the farmer needed them for the Florida winter crop. The check balls would stick to the seat and damage the engine because of a lack of oil lubricant to the crankshaft and connecting rod.

I would not run one of these engines directly out of storage without inspecting the oil pump. The AEN and that type will require removing the oil pan. The AEH and that type you can remove the side cover and spin the engine without a sparkplug installed and make sure the pump is working before you run them.

Phil P
Old 11-15-2013, 03:50:54 PM
Registered

Yes the pan was removed to clean the sludge build-up and etc. I was just saying luckily all that was needed was valve tappet gaps, magneto points and gapped and new carb gasket kit. Of course we replaced all gaskets as well on the engine just to ensure it leaked as little as possible. We also lightly honed each one to ensure a smooth cylinder wall.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:51:29 PM
Subscriber

Absolutely love the paint job on your engines! Simple ,clean and appealing to the eye.

Brent
Old 11-15-2013, 11:06:37 PM
Registered-II

Great job on the Wisconsins, as well as the compressor. Like your use of different colors - satin black and military green, they go together well. I would love to see the tractor. I for one know all too well what you mean about attention to detail, More time put into it labor wise then you could ever recoup selling it.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:40:27 AM
Registered

Thanks for the love guys. I will try to get some pictures of the Gibson tomorrow weather permitting.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:15:46 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hi

They look great.

I have one piece of advice, when you mentioned only a tune-up etc. to get them running be cautious this model engine used a piston oil pump with a check ball in the very bottom of the pump and a second check ball in the piston...

I would not run one of these engines directly out of storage without inspecting the oil pump. The AEN and that type will require removing the oil pan....

Phil P
This is bad news for me. The AENLD I am working on is mounted to a transmission and bolted to the machine. At least I already have the drive chain and its shield off. I am going to see if one can see it through the plug used to time the magneto with the magneto off. Doubt it but worth a try Maybe one can hear it.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:54:34 PM
Registered

This is what i did to set timing at TDC. With the magneto gear spin it until the tension begins to want to "click" then move to fly wheel 7 teeth to the left of the TDC center mark on the shroud. (7 teeth left of the TDC center mark on the flywheel also, should be lined up somewhat with the key) then spin the fly wheel until it clicks right when both TDC marks are aligned.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

I should add in my above post, remove the magneto then spin it all the way until it wants to start to click then instakk it with the fly wheels TDC mark 7 teeth to the left of TDC on the shroud.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:28:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,696 Times in 831 Posts

You're gonna LOVE that AEH. The Gibson should have that model on it. 2200 RPM, I believe, is max RPM. You won't run out of power with that engine. Rear wheels will slip out from under you before you kill the engine.

Yes! Love to see your Gibson! I have one and LOVE that tractor.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

As far as I'm concerned, Those old Wisconsins were the only real engines made.
The Following User Says Thank You to MoRo For This Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 11:49:17 PM
Registered

Yes the Gibson does have the AEH on it. it's not as well painted as these last 2 engines but it does look just fine and serves it's purpose. Only issue i have with it is the transmission syncros are about shot. It only has 1st gear and reverse so it's really just an ornament as we speak. And i have the wrong size springs for the clutch. Hopefully i'll pull that AEH out of the shed soon and can bust tail to finish another one for you guys to enjoy!
Old 11-17-2013, 12:14:19 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,696 Times in 831 Posts

That transmission isn't syncronized. I wonder, if you pulled the top off of the transmission, if you wouldn't find that the "ball" on the end of the shifter isn't worn away and doesn't engage the 2-3 gear rail. Mine's worn pretty bad and it makes going from R-1 to 2-3 interesting at times.

As for the tractor's appearance, paint don't do the work. Use as is and you won't feel bad when it's dirty.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:29:55 AM
Registered

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. I don't know much about the transmissions (jeep or chrysler? i believe) for these things. She hasn't seen much run time lately but hopefully in the future I will be able to rebuild it. Parts are slim for these era engines so when i see some pop up i try to seize the opportunity. I'm in need of the large sprocket as well, the teeth have seen better days. For what it's worth the AEH starts on the first pull and i can drive the machine so that was the main goal when i recovered this thing out of my neighbors woods.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:23:59 PM
Registered

Wish I would have seen this post a while back. I bought an old maxim snow blower with a Wisc. AEN engine on it. They said it had been sittin for 20 years or so. But new gas and oil and a file on the mag points had this engine up and running. No issues so far, thankfully... BTW. Them old sconi engines looook great. Can't wait till mine looks like that...
Old 03-05-2017, 06:30:20 PM
Registered

Where do you get the shroud decals?
Old 03-06-2017, 08:00:18 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3VO View Post
This is bad news for me. The AENLD I am working on is mounted to a transmission and bolted to the machine. At least I already have the drive chain and its shield off. I am going to see if one can see it through the plug used to time the magneto with the magneto off. Doubt it but worth a try Maybe one can hear it.
Hi

In cases like yours we would over fill the crank case and run it for an hour plus. This would commonly break the check balls loose. Being as how you canít tip the engine to get it over full it then put a close pipe nipple on the fill hoe and over fill it that way and use a pipe cap to close the crank case for the run.

Phil P

---------- Post added at 07:00:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56:41 AM ----------

Hi

Those ID tags are the original format where did you get them?

Phil P