Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters

Ya just got to love it

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 520 times

Old 01-12-2019, 05:50:08 PM
Registered

Default Ya just got to love it

Here in central Indiana, it's been showing since early morning. So a couple of hours after lunch, I decided to go out and blow the snow off the driveway. Already have the blower and the chains on the tractor. Just need to put the weight on. Get all dressed up, out to the garage and start it up. All is good. Shovel off the walk. Get on the tractor and move it into possition. All is good. Flip the switch and the blower comes to life. All is good. I have a 86 Sears garden tractor with the 6 speed hi low transmission with the single stage 40" blower. I put it in low and second gear, let the clutch out and all is bad. I shut down everything as quick as possible. The drive belt broke and wrapped around the engine pulley. At least I was still in the garage. So then it took about an hour to replace the belt,fix the belt guide and reconnect the chock cable. What a pain in the butt. Well at least it is fixed and the driveway and walk is cleaned off. We are to get about 5-7" today. So far, we have hit the 5" mark. Ya just got to love it. Mike
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hubbie For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2019, 11:58:42 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Ya just to love it

hey...its ...winter...
Old 01-13-2019, 08:25:04 AM
Subscriber

I feel for you Mike, but in my life I've had similar experiences. Years ago I had three farm tractors. A John Deere Model 40, Ford 9N, and a Ford 8N. All were in decent shape with 6 volt systems. But every time I tried to use one of them, it would not start. Stupid stuff usually. Dirty ignition points, clogged fuel line, dead battery. I finally got sick of it and sold all of them. The Ford 8N had an optional 2 speed rear end in it. That tractor sold so fast I couldn't believe it. I took the money and put it down on a brand new New Holland hydrostatic drive tractor. Best investment I ever made. I keep the new machine in my barn and every time I go out there she starts right up. Have had it about 8 yrs and only had to replace the original battery. I hope the rest of the winter is trouble free for you !!!
Old 01-13-2019, 09:13:29 AM
Registered-III

My drive and yard isn't to big. I always used older fixer upper snowblowers, seems something would break at every outing. What should have taken an hour, usually took 3.
got pretty sick of it, went and bought a brand new one. I even keep it waxed, and it's trouble free. Feels good knowing it will work when needed.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:13:04 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,264 Times in 1,804 Posts

Last time I bought a brand new really good snow blower... they kept it and got rid of me. Last I heard they were still using it to keep the walks clear around my old base facility.
Doc