Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Antique Washing Machines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Washing Machines Old collectible washing machines as used on the farm.

Antique Washing Machines

Maytag Model 18 Drain Hose Source?

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 948 times

Old 07-01-2016, 01:19:52 AM
Registered

Default Maytag Model 18 Drain Hose Source?

The hose on my Maytag Model 18 rotted and cracked, and I cannot find a source for replacement hose material.

The outside diameter of the hose is in the range of 1-3/8 to 1-1/2 inches and fits inside a cast iron elbow of that size (under the tub), so the outside diameter of the hose is the deciding factor here, not the inside diameter.

The hose I get will have to be cemented into that elbow, so it's got to be a close fit to function properly.

I've been looking on the internet for hoses, but some are close in size, but not close enough.

Any hose help would be welcomed.

Many thanks,
Ken
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2016, 05:59:47 PM
Registered

Default Re: Maytag Model 18 Drain Hose Source?

Correction: The hose needs to be 1-1/4 inches OD to fit inside the flange.

The old hose (1-1/2 inches OD) must have been modified on the ends to fit inside that flange

Thanks,
Ken
Old 08-26-2016, 06:29:59 PM
Registered-I

I needed a new drain hose for a model 32 I recently purchased. I couldn't find anything close to the original hose locally, so I improvised. I got some 3/4 inch ID black hose from ACE. It fit on the drain outlet under the tub, but, being a thinner wall hose, it was too small for the flange that hangs on the tank. I cut about 2" of the best section of the original hose and bored it out to a tight fit over the replacement hose. Then I slathered the inside I just bored out with some black silicone and forced it over the end of the replacement hose. 99% of the people that look at it will never know the difference . . . and it works . . . and it was cheap.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:07:52 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
I got some 3/4 inch ID black hose from ACE.
On second thought, it might have been 7/8" or 1" ID. It's been a few weeks . . . I don't remember for sure. I'm also not sure exactly what kind of hose it was, but it looked and felt like automotive heater hose.

On mine, the drain under the tub has a flange the hose goes over and is held on with a hose clamp. I matched up the ID because of this. The old hose went inside the end piece that hangs on the side of the tub That's the end I used the piece of old hose on.