Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Shows and Swap Meets > North American Model Engineering Society
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

North American Model Engineering Society The North American Model Engineering Society (NAMES) is dedicated to promoting the hobby of model engineering by sponsoring the annual North American Model Engineering Exposition.

North American Model Engineering Society

Boat pond N.A.M.E.S. expo for 2013?

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 3778 times

Old 11-18-2012, 08:53:47 AM
Registered-III

Default Boat pond N.A.M.E.S. expo for 2013?

Question on if there is interest in adding a boat pond to N.A.M.E.S. expo for 2013?
The Board of Directors are looking to see how much interest, there would be for a boat pond for operation. The use of battery and or fuel type engines only. As due to fire regulations/insurance regulations prohibited the use of live steam in a public enclosed venue.

The BoD is contacting the local model boat club to see if they would like to participate.
The Following User Says Thank You to PTSideshow For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2012, 09:09:45 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Boat pond N.A.M.E.S. expo for 2013?

I don't have a boat,but I realy enjoyed watching the boats at Cabin Fever.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:40:28 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,058 Times in 494 Posts

You mean alcohol and kerosene lamps are so dangerous that they are outlawed and I can no longer run my Jensen? Also add hot tube and flame ignition and hot air engines Sterno , Coleman lamps , candles , lighters , matches. Next it will be hot plates , coffee makers , popcorn machines. Ron

Last edited by Ronald E. McClellan; 11-18-2012 at 12:50:05 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:49:37 PM
Registered-III

No one have ever been allowed to use Live Steam in any of the shows at N.A.M.E.S venues, whether it is electrically heated or by a fuel source. This is city/fire code/and insurance company policy Since their is no inspections for the toy and home made boilers. If they find them they ask the people to stop it at once! As the use of live steam in indoor venues isn't Negotiable!

The boiler code in Michigan states that any operation of steam boilers that are used for any venue that has general public admission. Must pass a state inspection. This post is on boats that have boilers for use on the pond if there is going to be one.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:33:49 AM
Registered-III

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=211_1353259588
Here is one reason that they are not allowed. Granted they have the safety tighten down but they have the torch pointed directly at the joint of the steam tube and boiler bottom. There are a number of vid's on U tube and other places.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:20:52 PM

Thanked 4,589 Times in 1,043 Posts

I would suggest that a boat pond would take up more space than it's worth especially if live steam models are excluded. For me, the live steam model boats and their builders are the main attraction at the Cabin Fever pond, and of course that 10 foot electric battleship. You have already been short of space at the NAMES show for a few years so unless you believe both big shows in one month will thin out attendance so much you will need to fill the space filled, it might be more trouble than it's worth. It will not affect whether I exhibit or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gil Garceau For This Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 03:47:43 PM
Registered-III

There was some asking about a pond and had some interest in it also some interest had been shown by members of the local boat club. This is just a thread to gauge any response.
I will not be going into the no live steam issue as, boiler code in Michigan states that any operation of steam boilers that are used for any venue that has general public admission. Must pass a state inspection. That is the end of the discussion.
The Following User Says Thank You to PTSideshow For This Post:
Old 01-20-2013, 11:43:23 AM
Registered-III

There will be no operating boat pond at this years show. Some of the Directors have attended and have been having discussions with one of the local RC/boat clubs. Depending on how this years turn out from the club or clubs if some members of the other boat clubs come. The possibility of a operating boat pond FOR NON LIVE STEAM may come about for next year.