Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Chain Saw Collectors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Chain Saw Collectors Vintage chainsaws and other air cooled gas engine saws, collecting and restoring.

Chain Saw Collectors

Titan Chainsaws

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 7034 times

Old 07-26-2009, 03:11:19 PM
Registered

Default Titan Chainsaws

It's my understanding that Titan chainsaws were made by
Mill and Mine in Seattle Wa., but precious little info can I find on the company. Anybody know a link?
Thanks,
Igpoe
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2009, 08:36:28 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,082 Times in 496 Posts
Default Re: Titan Chainsaws

The book "CHAINSAWS A History" by David Lee has quite a bit of information, history and illustration of Titan chain saws. This is the definitive work on the subject. I highly recommend this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Chainsaws-Hist...8654901&sr=1-1
Old 07-28-2009, 05:12:22 PM
Registered

Thanks Peter,
Read through my copy and learned some things..........like the 2 cyl. models were akin to the Stihls design, but the motors were made by Neptune. It's this sort of stuff I'm craving about all the companies really. Like Homelite and McCulloch both working making motors and parts for other companies before they even made their own saw.
Dean
Old 07-09-2017, 08:18:16 PM
Registered

Igpoe,

Lee's book is good, but the full story of Titan Chain Saws is in my just-published book, When Titans Ruled.

It takes you through history of Titan's parent company, Mill & Mine Supply, from 1907 to 1939, when President Robert Gillespie began marketing Stihl chain saws in the United States. D.J. Smith was representing Stihl in Canada. When the war broke out and Stihl imports stopped, Smith and Gillespie's companies began producing their own saws, which went on to become the world's leaders in the big timber, two-man, saws.

Titan was so successful, it then became the parent company, eventually selling to Draper Corporation of Hopedale, Massachusetts, which wanted the key chain patents that Gillespie's company had since 1952.

The book has significant detail on every Titan saw produced...and then some.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BobofTitan For This Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 04:04:29 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobofTitan View Post
Igpoe,

Lee's book is good, but the full story of Titan Chain Saws is in my just-published book, When Titans Ruled.

It takes you through history of Titan's parent company, Mill & Mine Supply, from 1907 to 1939, when President Robert Gillespie began marketing Stihl chain saws in the United States. D.J. Smith was representing Stihl in Canada. When the war broke out and Stihl imports stopped, Smith and Gillespie's companies began producing their own saws, which went on to become the world's leaders in the big timber, two-man, saws.

Titan was so successful, it then became the parent company, eventually selling to Draper Corporation of Hopedale, Massachusetts, which wanted the key chain patents that Gillespie's company had since 1952.

The book has significant detail on every Titan saw produced...and then some.
Hello Bob,

The information on the Titan saws and your book. I have sent you a message regarding the book and its availability.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 07-28-2017, 08:24:50 AM
Registered-II

can we have the information about the Publisher and where to buy this book ?????? I did a quick google search and nothing comes up ......let us know.....