Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Chain Saw Collectors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Chain Saw Collectors Vintage chainsaws and other air cooled gas engine saws, collecting and restoring.

Chain Saw Collectors

Husqvarna 51 sounding "squeky"

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1153 times

Old 07-25-2017, 12:46:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,230 Times in 1,524 Posts
Default Husqvarna 51 sounding "squeky"

I know that is a weird way to explain but the last couple times I used my 51 husky it sounded squeaky or whatever.High pitched. The clutch was going out to so I set it aside.
I wanted to know what had happened as I bought this saw new and always ran good oil in it and such.
I pulled the muffler and saw a couple marks on the piston I didn't like and pulled the cylinder. The cylinder is fine, there is a couple marks on the piston about the last 1/4 inch of it near the top and ring.
Bugs me as to how it got there. the muffler was clear,cylinder top end has NO carbon.
But that squeak is what I couldn't understand.
So I thought I would ask about it.
It is more noticeable when you try to start it with the air filter off.it makes the noise even just pulling it.
it is not a bearing or anything it almost makes you think it is pulling air?
I found this on ebay and although I just think I need a piston I may get this whole kit for the price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chainsaw-Cyl...3D140377000076
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2017, 01:49:07 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,526 Times in 2,206 Posts
Default Re: Husqvarna 51 sounding "squeky"

Air leak on the intake? Reed or piston port design? Reeds squeak sometime.
Dang cheap for a cyl and piston! Keep the old parts as this kit may be made of Chinesium.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:57:10 PM
Subscriber

I will check parts for cracks as to what the carb connects to. I aint spent money yet, I want to learn more about this issue.I didn't see a "reed" valve but maby it is in that plastic piece that the rubber hooks to from the cylinder.
Honestly,I just want a piston and ring and gaskets. my cylinder looks nice,but,it could be worn as far as diameter that I can't see. The piston ring seems weak, as in hardly any pressure to squeeze it in.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:27:01 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,526 Times in 2,206 Posts

It's a chrome bore and that won't wear. Chip and flake off and trash the piston yes. Look at the exhaust port as that's where they start flaking. But yours is likely fine.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:35:59 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,112 Times in 3,974 Posts

Stale fuel will score a piston. Trash any gas more than 30 days old. Huskys and Sthils hate poor quality gas, and now those manufacturers have a specific test for it. The test tells oil mix, amount of alcohol, and age of fuel. Wrong mix,too much alky, old gas, no warrenty!

A squeak usually means either an air leak or dry parts - wether bearings or piston/cylinder combo. Check your crank seals, bearings as well as the con rod beasrings for wear.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:25:31 PM
Banned

Blue, how's the Chinese saw treating you? Did you get the bar yet?
Old 07-28-2017, 11:09:22 AM
Subscriber

I am still waiting.It had to come from china as parts are not warehoused here in the US. I wish they had just cracked a box in new york and sent a bar then got the replacement and put it in the box.
My saw I picked up off the side of the road with a free sign on it works great now. I had a saw that had major issues and used it's bar ,clutch and chain and now have a good saw. Later realized I had another 1 in the "retirement account" aka Junk shed, that needed the spacer between the carb and intake. So using parts from the bad saw I fixed yet another 1.
By the time I get the bar for the china saw I will have all the mess cleaned up in the yard with free saws!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 10:56:43 AM
Subscriber

I got the kit in the mail yesterday and the stuff looks to be good quality. fit well. I assembled the saw,and realized, Oops, this cylinder is drilled and taped for a compression release! Which I aint complaining as the saw was hard for me to start with a bad left arm anyhow. So I did start it,and cut it back off without running it but a couple seconds. Has more compression now even with that hole open!.
I got this compression release on the way. for the price,I can wait a while. next cheapest 1 was about 21 bucks!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPRESSION-...72.m2749.l2649

I will say, the ring on the old piston,just does not seem to have and tension. just feels wimpy,weak.

The squeak is no longer there either.

Edit!, I remembered having a friends saw on the shelf he was going to bring parts to finish it and never did. it had a compression release like I needed. So I put it in and after some adjustment the saw runs good. I am going to get a new air filter. When I first started it I didn't have it on it, and when i installed it seemed to run a bit rich so i will order me a air filter. A new chain and filter and it should be good to go! I am a bit happy, I remembered when i bought this saw about 1990-91, it took the equivalent of 3 paychecks from my first job to pay for it. So I weren't ready to toss it as I knew I had paid good money for it.

Last edited by uglyblue66; 08-01-2017 at 10:53:12 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:24:22 PM
Subscriber

Well a few more test runs and when I start it,it will rev as it should,cuts like new with the new chain on it,don't bog, But when i let off and let it idle,it won't rev back up.Cuts off. Starts back up. I am wondering if it is pulling air around that little rubber boot for a tube to go thru? Not the main intake rubber,but a little white 1 under it? has me baffled. It has the wheaties that is for sure.The compression release makes it much easier for me to start to.