Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Chain Saw Collectors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Chain Saw Collectors Vintage chainsaws and other air cooled gas engine saws, collecting and restoring.

Chain Saw Collectors

Disston DO 100

this thread has 28 replies and has been viewed 5270 times

Old 03-16-2013, 11:07:02 PM
Registered

Default Re: Disston DO 100

kiekhaefer did make a v4 drone engine,its model number was v 105-2,and went into a firefly drone.it was made before and during the time the do saw was developed and manufactured. pics of them arent real easy to find,i can send you some if you want...it was fuel injected.drones and chainsaws had the same problem at the time,and that was how to run at different angles consistently.modern diaphragm carbs didnt exist yet,mcculloch had carbs,but they were kiekhaefers competition.fuel injection works at any angle and they were already using it in drone engines so its pretty hard to dismiss any collusion there.i still believe though that if the do saws were a good saw,and compared well to a mac 325, kiekhaefer would have been in the saw business a lot longer.i suspect the difficulties with disston would not have occurred either...art b
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2013, 11:56:37 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,994 Times in 791 Posts

I'd love to see the 4 cylinder engines, I've read of others makes (I.e. McCulloch) and their 4 cylinders for drones but only 2 cylinder mercury drone engines! I totally agree on the need for a saw that worked on any angle, it was that single concept that all the producers at the time agreed upon, it would and later did revolutionize the market. As for comparison between the mac and disston, I own both and have cut with both, the do-101 and a McCulloch 3-25, and would honetly say there is no comparison when it comes to ease of use and we must be honest that is now and was then pretty much requisite for sales. The 3-25 is lighter, easier to handle, starts and runs without any hickups, and the carb is much simpler (while still an over complicated nightmare by more modern tilotson or walboro standards) but it simply works and works well.

Some video of the 3-25

When filmed this saw had a small hole in the diaphragm but it still runs better than the DO. Hard to compare how they cut based on these videos as the DO has the misfortune of having straddle scratcher chain while the 3-25 benefits from chisel chain in both (1/2" pitch and then .404 pitch).
Old 03-17-2013, 02:16:21 AM
Registered

actually i found some ebay pics that are way better than what i have,but it wont let me download them.get on ebay,click advanced search,type in kiekhaefer drone engine in the keyword box,scroll down a bit to where you see completed listings,and check the box,and hit search...click on the picture and enjoy...this one was made in 1954,but they were made in the late 40s...no doubt the 3-25 was much better than the do saw,,the mcculloch didnt have the quality finish and components that the do did, the do saw was really well made from a quality standpoint,it just didnt work.i fairly recently restored a 3-25 completely,and it was gorgeous..one problem was it must have inhaled a lot of dirt because the rotary valve didnt seal very well.it would run weakly on a prime,but would not pump gas.a neighbor saw it and fell in love with it and offered me 300 bucks for it to hang in his man cave....its hanging in his man cave....art b
Old 03-17-2013, 09:35:32 AM
Registered-III

Thanks, I'll look at that engine shortly,. I will agree the fit and finish was nicer on the do DO, but I'd say the Mac was far more durable. For most Mac 3-25s I've come across, a little cleaning and they ran, wish I coukd say the same for the DO. The tanks of the DO tend to be very soft and dent or even crack easily, but I will admit in a beauty contest the DO would have won hands down, its as you say, too bad they wouldn't run as well as they look.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:12:43 PM
Registered

aluminum tanks were pretty much the rule with outboards of the day,they wouldnt rust out like a steel one would,and they were very soft.when i was into restoring outboards one with a pristine tank was almost impossible to find.i would cut a hole in the bottom or somewhere it couldnt be seen and get the dents out from the inside, clean it out good,and send it to a good tig welder that would keep the tank full of argon while welding it up.when i got it back,sand and polish it. after doing a few,i got good enough to get them near new looking,but its a lot of aggravation to get one done.if you get on you tube and put in "fixing outboard gas tank" you can see how its done.is a do 100 worth the effort? i dont think so,but someone that really likes them might...another trick ive heard of to get larger dents out is to pressurise and regulate the pressure in a tank to about five pounds,(a regulator that bleeds out excess pressure is mandatory,because heating the tank will rapidly raise the pressure in it) then heat the dent up with a torch while gently tapping on it with a small hammer.between the tapping,air pressure,and heat,the dent pops out. ive never tried that one,its in an old evinrude service manual also...it is a shame that the do saws failed so miserably,i believe that if the do saw was a success,they would have evolved into a line of the best saws made...art b
Old 03-17-2013, 08:42:25 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by equad99 View Post
it issues a shame that the do saws failed so miserably,i believe that if the do saw was a success,they would have evolved into a line of the best saws made...art
I agree, this really could have been an amazing start, but unfortunately it was just too over engineered. I realize the light weight tank was to keep weight down over putting a cast aluminum tank on what was already heavier than its direct competition. I've pressurized several tank to remove the dents and I am a rather big fan, one must to caution as you note because a burst tank is far worse than a dented tank!

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

attached are pictures of the kiekhaefer drone engine from ebay, you can see a small corner of the Bendix fuel meter (picture 2), this engine appears to use the "multi port" version that used one fuel meter and two pumps (one for fuel from the tank and a high pressure to pressurize the system) (picture two) the lines of the fuel meter ran to sperate jets or nozzles into the intake venturi of each cylinder (or set of cylinders, no real good pictures of the intake on this engine but it appears the cylinder sets may have shared an intake) it appears that there is an adjustment also availble to control the fuel delivered by each nozzle (Picture three) as you've noted earlier, this system was never intended to idle as drones where all or nothing given their lifespan. Once again too bad the system could not have been better adapted to a chainsaw.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:34:56 PM
Registered

Just thought I'd put in a plug for equad99(art b)...

I am very pleased to be working with someone who has such a wealth of knowledge and a love of the old 2 stroke engines that he has. This gentleman is SERIOUSLY experienced in them and his machinist skills are exceptional. I have been a technician for over 40 years and truly appreciate his expertise, as I find that there is always more to learn. I am looking forward to the KB project we have going on (mostly Art), and looking forward to playing with the Hot Rod KB saw that he is putting so much time and effort into. He has done a few restorations for my customers and the work has been impeccable!

Brian
Old 04-17-2018, 09:51:51 PM
Registered

Hi,
kind of butting in but I just bought one.
I also learned that they tend to run for about 5 seconds and flood out.
~ I just read this~
The Kiekhaefer engine also proved to have a defect in the fuel system. Carl Kiekhaefer denied that the problem was in the engine, alleging that the frame for the saw affected how the motor functioned. However, within the year he admitted that a defective fuel-pump diaphragm was at fault. (A Place to Live and Work” by Harry Silcox)
Maybe there is a carb that has a better diaphragm out there?? Maybe
not,but..
Old 04-18-2018, 08:47:37 AM
Registered-II

The whole carb was overly complicated. Made by Bendix Aviation, they designed it like a WWII airplane carb complete with a gear driven "supercharger". Dealers stocked spare carbs and swapped them when they had a problem. The bad carb was sent back to the factory where they were rebuilt and reset, then returned.

That carb, the hand clutch, and the weight of the saw made it so that saw didn't get used very much! It makes a good door stop for the shop.