eBay Auctions
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > eBayŠ Auction Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

eBayŠ Auction Discussion All eBay™ discussion; engines, frauds, fancies, weird stuff and more.

eBayŠ Auction Discussion

Some greedy people out there

this thread has 23 replies and has been viewed 8295 times

Old 10-07-2013, 07:45:22 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,391 Times in 1,578 Posts
Default Re: Some greedy people out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTO-Sawyer View Post
Please Explain what you concider a "Shill Bidder".

I don't worry about the 'so called' 'shill bidders' that are more likely than not, just someone else that wants the same item I do.
Sorry Otto but I think I misunderstood what you posted.. I know that auctioneers and even some e-bay sellers use Shill Bidders to drive up the price to a certain level. On occasion they do get stuck with the item but they usually relist it again. If they get caught e-bay will suspend their account for a short period of time and make them take some sort of E-bay class before letting them back on with a short probation period..

Engine movies can be seen at: pileofiron

Last edited by Fred Van Hook; 10-07-2013 at 08:28:57 PM. Reason: UuH Spelling????
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2013, 09:24:34 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,082 Times in 495 Posts

Otto,

I am not that paranoid, and if not for paypal I would probably continue spend some limited time on eBay. Ebay was a better place in the past. I think I am savy enough to deal with anything eBay can put in place - if I want to. I reserve the right to complain. I also, have the right to take my business else where. Not because I am paranoid, but because as customer it is my prerogative.

You most definitely CANNOT spot shill bidding under the current hidden ID scheme of things. You method of looking for bid pattern is not going to work.

More open is always better. More payment options would be better.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:20:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,774 Times in 3,698 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Van Hook View Post
Sorry Otto but I think I misunderstood what you posted.. I know that auctioneers and even some e-bay sellers use Shill Bidders to drive up the price to a certain level. ..
Fred.... I don't argue the fact that SOME of them do actually do that, I just get tired of reading everyone complaining about it every time they get run up or outbid on something as if no one but a shill would do that to them.

Yes it does happen, but I highly doubt it's as rampant as some people make it out to be.

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Otto,

I am not that paranoid, .......

You most definitely CANNOT spot shill bidding under the current hidden ID scheme of things. You method of looking for bid pattern is not going to work.
Peter..... didn't mean to imply that you personally were paranoid. That was a general comment thrown out at anyone that thinks that every time they get outbid or run up on something it was automatically by a shill or someone bidding on their own stuff with a second user ID.

And YES You CAN spot them even with the ID's scrambled. It's just a little harder to do so without putting a little more effort in to it. The bid patterns are still there.... you just need to look at the feedback (##) and then if there are 2 or more bidders with the same feedback score put a little more effort into comparing the scrambled ID's from several different listings to see if they match. Even with the ID scrambled, they still scramble them the same each time they bid.

Granted, you can't click on the bidders user ID and look to see what all they bid on anymore, (unless you already know their full user name from before they were scrambled), but you CAN look at a sellers items and look for a pattern of bids from the same person even when scrambled.

Don't tell me something DOESN'T Work just because you can't do it. (and while the paranoid part wasn't directed at you, that last part was, because it Does Work)
Old 06-13-2015, 05:56:49 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTO-Sawyer View Post
Please Explain what you concider a "Shill Bidder".

If you think it's anyone and everyone that places a bid after you, whether it's five minutes after you or in the last two seconds before the auction ends, then everyone that places a bid on something Before You Do, can call you a 'Shill Bidder' for doing the same thing.

Some people bid early and bid often, and some people wait till the last minute. If you got outbid, it's because you didn't bid high enough or didn't want it bad enough to bid higher. If you won the auction but at a higher price, then you still got it for your bid amount, Or Less, depending on how much they ran you up.

There's a pocket knife with the handle in the shape of a locomotive that I've been bidding on for 3 months now. They start all of their auctions at $0.99 and every time they relist a new another one, I place my maximum bid on it. A couple times my bid wasn't enough to ever be the high bidder, and other times I have been the high bidder for 3 or 4 days before someone outbids me. I figure eventually everyone else that's looking at them will have one and then I will get one either at the start price or at or below my maximum bid. I'm in no hurry to get it.

If it was something that rarely if ever showed up, then I would bid higher and higher as long as I had the funds to cover it.

I don't worry about the 'so called' 'shill bidders' that are more likely than not, just someone else that wants the same item I do.

Just bid what it's worth to you and don't worry about it.
Yes i will explain a shill bidder is a person on ebay who gets there Father to advertise there stationary engine fuel tanks then the son bids them up for him and when you message the son he rings you up and threatens you, he knows who he is he will be reading this.not happy.