eBay Auctions
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > eBayŠ Auction Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

eBayŠ Auction Discussion All eBay™ discussion; engines, frauds, fancies, weird stuff and more.

eBayŠ Auction Discussion

An engine on eBay from the old WI Steam Rodeo

this thread has 32 replies and has been viewed 8078 times

Old 02-02-2008, 02:17:39 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,125 Times in 725 Posts
Default An engine on eBay from the old WI Steam Rodeo

A Northwest engine and boiler. See number 160204506318

David

Last edited by David; 02-02-2008 at 02:23:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2008, 11:20:46 AM
Jim Jake Templin

Default Re: An engine on "that site" from the old WI Steam Rodeo

I have seen a couple of articles about some of these engines. The sad thing is that a lot of the engines that were treated to these modifications ( rigging them up on truck frames to go up to 40mph) were complete and in excellent condition before butchering.

I still can't fathom what possessed guys to cut down the front wheels of engines and put airplane tires on the front, but this????

I am convinced that there was something in the water in the 50's and 60's...............
Old 02-02-2008, 11:29:06 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: An engine on "that site" from the old WI Steam Rodeo

Quote:
I am convinced that there was something in the water in the 50's and 60's...............
That too--- plus there were a lot more engines "laying" around then, and a lot less folks innterested in them as we are today.
A guy gave me a boiler on a truck frame a while back-- the motor/engine had been removed. The boiler is probably beyond repair. I've not even gotten close to it yet, as its behind a chain link fence, locked up. I plan to get it when the weather warms up, and it should make a good piece of yard art.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:44:07 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,899 Times in 771 Posts
Default Re: An engine on eBay from the old WI Steam Rodeo

It would be a shame to see a fixable traction engine converted to a truck. However, I think a lot of them were being used in stationary use and had the wheels and gearing scrapped during the war. I think Allen's 20th Century and maybe Mike McKnights Case had that happen to it?

One of those would be fun to have though. Especially if it was still titled and licensed as a truck. I could really terrorize the town with something like that.
It would be like Lawrences steam truck on steroids.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:10:22 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,480 Times in 545 Posts

I looked at this too. I don't like the "truck frame modified" engines either. I think that a reasonable solution for "restoration" if the proper parts are not anywhere available, is to simply make a portable out of it. Find some suitable steel wheels, and salvage or make the undercarriage. Display it as what it is, a salvaged engine that "represents" a piece of history, even if it is modified.

Just my thoughts....

MJ
Old 02-02-2008, 03:46:42 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,375 Times in 2,355 Posts
Smile Re: An engine on eBay from the old WI Steam Rodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtractors View Post
It would be a shame to see a fixable traction engine converted to a truck. However, I think a lot of them were being used in stationary use and had the wheels and gearing scrapped during the war. I think Allen's 20th Century and maybe Mike McKnights Case had that happen to it?
You are correct, sir! That IS what happened to my poor Case. I know a lot of traction engines were also cut down in later years to a portable boiler on a truck frame rig, to steam tobacco beds. Lots of engines wound up this way...

Darn shame to see a rarer engine like a Northwest have this happen to it, but maybe there's parts somewhere to re-convert? In today's day and age, I'll bet someone (Kory????? ) could make the patterns to make a new set of gearing and whatever else is missing, if worse came to worse. Probably be a fun toy to play with as-is, anyway.

Mike
Old 02-02-2008, 04:18:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,899 Times in 771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L. Jordan View Post
Display it as what it is, a salvaged engine that "represents" a piece of history, even if it is modified.

Just my thoughts....

MJ
Most of these modifications were made in the 40s and 50s. Those engines have been modified now for a longer period of time than they were in original condition. If you want to represent most of that particular engine's history, it should stay on the truck frame.

That truck frame modification is probably older than what most people call "antique" tractors.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:09:09 PM
Subscriber

I was looking through my old Iron Men Albums and found something about the Wisconsin Steam Rodeo and the truck frame conversions. An article appeared in the Sept-Oct 1955 issue on page 16 concerning a guy named Clinton Jackson of Mondovi WI who had taken a 30 HP Huber and set it on a 3 ton Diamond T frame, but reported that the engine was just too heavy and so he pulled it off and then cut up another engine, a 16 HP Huber, and it worked much better.

The good part of that article was he reported how he returned the 30 to steel and it showed a picture of it all back together.

It's too bad that happened to the Northwest on ebay. But it looks like it might make a good project for someone.

Even yet, historical preservation and safety aside and considering what's done is done, I bet a rig like that could be a lot of fun. You could still work it on the belt and it would probably get away from a stop light in short order.

In the IMA article, Mr. Jackson said he wasn't sure of the gear ratio, but the engine traveled 14 feet per chuff in high gear!

Sam
Old 02-02-2008, 07:49:17 PM

Thanked 20,155 Times in 5,899 Posts

There's a 75hp Case skid engine in the neighborhood which is mounted in a similar fashion.
I was told there were quite a few of them done up that way for steam engine races. YUP.......STEAM ENGINE RACES.......
Old 02-02-2008, 08:28:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,409 Times in 833 Posts

There is also a 22 Minnie currently near Lacrosse Wis. that has been done the same way... (At least I think it's still there)

I looked at it some years ago and the Bad part is they welded the truck frame right to the Boiler...

I think you will see a Lot of these Borderline engines surface in the future... I bet that 1964 Boiler certificate will do a lot of good...