Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Fuel Packing

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2254 times

Old 11-24-2004, 09:24:37 PM
Subscriber

Default Fuel Packing

I've got two Wisconsin BKN's I'm working on. In particular the glass fuel strainers. They are the originals, but the packing in the needle valve seat is no longer sealing, and it leaks around the needle. Any body know where you can get "universal" stuff to fix?
Thank you
Mike
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2004, 01:37:04 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Fuel Packing

In the past I have used cotton string wound around needle valves under the packing nut to stop a leak. I had to tighten it really tight to get it to stop leaking. I have recently seen threads on the Stak suggesting running cotton mop string back and forth over an old fashioned bar of soap to make it gas proof. This thread was for packing fuel pumps so I would suppose that doing the same thing with finer cotton string would probibly work just as well for stoping leaks on fuel filter valves. If I had used soap on the string when I used it I don't think I would have had to tighten the packing nut so tight. The thread said old fashioned soap and I suppose that they really meant old fashioned soap. The new stuff is better on the skin than the old stuff but isn't probably isn't as gas pruff. There are some old soaps still available. Fels Naptha is still available at about $2.25 a bar but you might find somthing less expensive at a janatorial supply, hardware store or maybe even at the grocery store. I am working with bees wax right now so I will test it tomarrow to see if it is gas pruff. If It is I will post another reply as it might be more permanent solution even than the soap.
Dick
Old 11-25-2004, 09:13:43 AM
Registered-III

This reminds me of the old trick used by car dealers years ago. If the gas tank had a leak they would crawl under and rub it with a bar of soap. It worked till the car was sold anyway. Anyway, using soap on your packing string made sense to me.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:43:32 PM
eMail NOT Working

Take a long piece of teflon tape that plumbers use and twist it to make a string. Wrap that around the stem in a CLOCKWISE motion (same as the tighning of the packing nut.) Try it for any stem packing. John D
Old 11-26-2004, 10:23:14 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,707 Times in 230 Posts

I run into this problem occasionally as service manager at my tractor (AC/Agco) dealership. I have found the perfect material is sold at a good hardware store. It is the graphite impregnated thread sold for repacking plumbing valves. The thread is too heavy for your application but each strand an be seperated individually or in pairs as needed. Wrap it around the stem & snug down the nut. Compresses in real well but leaves the needle easy to turn. Bill Klein