Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

IHC M Restoration Fuel Tank Issues

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 3323 times

Old 11-29-2004, 09:25:50 PM
Registered-I

Question IHC M Restoration Fuel Tank Issues

I am restoring an IHC "M" 1-1/2 horse gasoline, spark ignition engine. When I got it, the gas tank was totally missing as well as all the piping and fittings. At one of the shows this fall, I bought a newly manufactured replacement tank from one of our well-known suppliers. Last weekend I turned the engine up on its tail to test fit the new tank. Lo and behold, the new tank, while pretty close, isn't going to work on the engine without modifications. When set in place, the filler/overflow pipe connection is too low by 1/4 to 3/8 inch, and the top fitting is similarly too low for the fuel pump and vent piping to fit properly. But the drain connection sits about right. To make this work, the mouting ears on the ends will have to be relocated lower to raise the tank, looks like they're soldered on. But doing that will raise the drain connector. I've seen pictures of apparent original IHC tanks and they seem to have a special fitting soldered on at the drain connector, some sort of "zero-clearance" connector that allows the drain to come off the tank at or below the bottom level. I don't have that kind of fitting.

Has anyone run into a similar situation?

I think I could return the tank all right, and there are other vendors, but it's possible that they all come from the same manufacturer with similar fabrication issues. Thoughts anyone?

Thanks again to Harry for this great resource!

Regards,

Jim Young
Grafton, OH
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2004, 12:05:13 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: IHC M Restoration Fuel Tank Issues

I bought a tank for my 6 M awhile back and when I finally got around to the resto I was pretty much in the same boat as you I had to relocate the holes in the ears and do a little shimming around but I was able to make use of the tank. When you bought your tank did you get the feul pickup tube as well, if not Hit and Miss has one that is pretty good and it threaded right in to my tank it is a piece that also has the vent part in it it doesn't look like the original but it does a good job. I still have my original one layin around and it is not much good to use but I can post a pic if it will help you Joe M.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:52:46 AM
In Memory Of

Photo Re: IHC M Restoration Fuel Tank Issues

I brought three new tanks with me last year from the States and they fit, except for the drain hole in the crank case, so I made a special nipple that fits in the narrow space I had. It doesn't look much "high tech", but works well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drainpipe.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	388  
Old 11-30-2004, 09:54:23 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,508 Times in 713 Posts

John,

Did you try using two 45 degree street elbows for the drain? Might have saved some soldering.

Bill
Old 11-30-2004, 10:22:57 AM
In Memory Of

No Bill, I didn't have them on hand so I decided to solder them together.
Will keep them in stock

Last edited by John Hammink; 11-30-2004 at 10:51:46 AM.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:19:14 PM
Registered-I

Thanks to everyone who replied with suggestions or their experiences. I will ask to return this tank to the vendor, or if feasible, modify the tank to fit.

The real issue in my case is the location of the mounting tabs soldered on the tank, they're too high which positions the tank too low in the crankcase. If they were at the right height, the top fitting and the inlet on the front would line up correctly. Then the remaining problem would be the drain which John Hammink solved so well with his soldered together fittings to alter the height.

Thanks again for the help and to Harry!

Jim Young