Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Heavy Industrial Equipment > Vintage Construction Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Construction Equipment Graders, Shovels, Fork lifts, Dozers & Crawlers, Pay loaders & Fork lifts

Vintage Construction Equipment

Isuzu 4BB1 from a Kohering Excavator

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 630 times

Old 06-14-2018, 11:24:56 AM
Registered

Default Isuzu 4BB1 from a Kohering Excavator

Greetings everyone.

I'm in a bind with my Kohering excavator. Its from the 70's so I guess that it technically qualifies as antique now... though that would then qualify *me* as well... but eh.

Engine valve lifters seized up, and scrapped some internals. I'm in the process of a tear down. I'm looking for anyone with practical experience with the Isuzu 4BB1 engines... Use to be in the Isuzu ELF's and KT trucks as well.

I'd be interested in buying a 4BB1 to have on hand if someone had one sitting in a dead excavator/truck somewhere. And I'd REALLY be interested in knowing if there were any engines that were a power-side match and could serve as a swap before I go to the trouble of the rebuild. The rarity of this engine makes me want to change it out with something more supportable. But it does appear to be utterly simple and I would imagine, once it was rebuilt, it would give another 20-40 years of effort.

But this is my first piece of "big" equipment and I'm not even sure how to go about researching what diesels are direct replacement for other diesels. Wouldn't the hydraulic pump it mates to be the important thing? It basically looks like the back end of a transmission bell.... engine drives the pump... and the fly-wheel gear would dictate compatibility right? Anyway... I would love some schooling by some grey-beards if anyone has some tid-bits they'd throw my direction.

Many thanks.
-Andrew

---------- Post added at 11:24:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20:55 AM ----------

( P.S. For example, if I wanted to put in a different diesel, how do you bolt on the engine to the pump if it has different bolt pattern? Do you have to machine an adapter plate for such a situation? And if so... how do you ensure gear meshing because of the extra inch of separation? ) These can't be new problems... but they're new to me. I always just bought the right parts to maintain my equipment. I was never much for modifying stuff. New task new tricks eh?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2018, 07:34:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,199 Times in 648 Posts
Default Re: Isuzu 4BB1 from a Kohering Excavator

My book shows the 4BB1 engine in a 6611, 1984-86 with .5 cy bucket.

Were the valves stuck or rusted and you broke the cam shaft when you turned the engine over? I think you would be ahead to fix the engine up if that is all that is wrong with it.

Here is a picture of the engine in my excavator, you can see it has a SAE bell housing and it drives three hyd pumps. You would have to unbolt the bell housing to see how yours drives the hyd pumps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1408.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	312505  
Old 06-15-2018, 08:44:53 AM
Registered

Nothing that catastrophic yet. The lifter fell down into the block. Engine made a awful racket, but I did end up getting it shut down, rather than it grinding to a freeze. We got the head off last saturday, and looking down into the cavity, I'm afraid there might be some damage on one of the gears... hard to see. Tomorrow we're set to strip it down to the next level. It rotates fine at the moment... so... maybe I survived. Have you rebuilt yours? There's a "rebuild kit" being sold by AliBabba. I hate the thought of buying from them... was wondering who you used to supply your kit...

---------- Post added at 08:44:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42:38 AM ----------

Actually.. that bell housing looks remarkably similar.... is "SAE" bell housing a standard in excavators? I only have the engine manual at the moment. I'm looking into obtaining the Kohering excavator manual.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:58:27 AM
Subscriber

SAE bell housings are used on engines in trucks and industrial equipment so they can bolt up to different transmissions. There are different sizes of SAE bell housings.

My engine isn't an Isuzu engine, it is a Detroit Diesel

Parts for an Isuzu engine shouldn't be hard to fine, they use some on irrigation out here. There are places that sell rebuild kits for engines.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heins For This Post:
Old 06-15-2018, 09:30:26 AM
Registered

Yes, I'm reading up on the bell housings. Thanks for the focus.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:31:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,125 Times in 601 Posts

I wonder if the lifters, etc are the same as the C201 engine Thermo-King used 30 years ago?
Old 06-19-2018, 11:02:22 AM
Registered

Well, turns out it IS that catastrophic. Number four piston pushed out the side of the block under a support bracket where we couldn't see it. So now I'm looking for a new engine.

Question: The U.S. seems to have a lot of the Isuzu 4BD1 floating around but nobody ever has seen a 4BB1. They're both referenced in the same Isuzu engine manual. Anybody out there know if the blocks were interchangeable with the bell housings and /motor mounts?
Old 06-19-2018, 01:53:58 PM
Subscriber

You need to talk to someone that sells Isuzu engines and find out what the difference of the engines are. How big is your engine? Maybe a 4B Cummings would fit. Can you show a picture of your engine with the bell housing?