Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Champion model 10047 additional cooling

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 212 times

Old 07-09-2019, 10:37:51 PM
Registered-I

Default Champion model 10047 additional cooling

Correction: Champion model 100477

Hi!

This will allow me to take the Onan BGE 4.0 offline to a shop to have various maintenance on it. It runs fine but it may have an exhaust leak and has a crank leak on the fan side, and could use a new muffler. Too loud.

Champion model 100477 sat at a pawn shop w gas in it for several months. Been running Berryman's through the carb. Changed the oil etc.

There is an access panel on the side to get to oil fill, drain, spark plug (replaced w a NGK laser iridium), air filter. I wonder if putting a blower on the outside injecting air into this area through the panel (or leaving the panel off) would be good. Idk how the unit's airflow system works. It doesn't seem to have a built-in blower. Correction: it does.

Specs say it can operate up to 40° centigrade. But we all know this is b.s. with the type of enclosure it has, loads etc. I'd be much more comfortable with a blower injecting (relatively) cold, fresh air in on the access panel side.

I already possess a small squirrel cage blower meant for a fireplace. I'd say it does somewhere around 300-400 cfm. That's 120vac. I could use that.

I also have a brushless 12v DC blower that does 42cfm at 41.10mm of static pressure. Pretty sure it can run directly off the genset's unregulated 12v DC output. (blower says 7-14v operating voltage).

The genset will have to have a 'hood' to protect it from the weather. It will be enclosed on 3 sides with plenty of airflow between it and the walls (min 1.5 ft on sides and rear, several feet on front). It will be mounted down to steel studs and track. It doesn't seem to have 'mount points' per se but I will figure it out.

Last edited by deno; 07-11-2019 at 12:16:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2019, 03:48:32 AM
Registered

Default Re: Champion model 10047 additional cooling

From having dismantled a few of these style, I don't think you would hurt anything.

Only thing I could think of is that the air flow seems to come in and over the inverter first.

Adding ar from the side may slow or reduce that air flow?
The Following User Says Thank You to autosparkii For This Post: