Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Predator Generators

this thread has 168 replies and has been viewed 117158 times

Old 09-09-2013, 05:16:43 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,060 Posts
Default Re: Predator Generators

the problem with most of them is very poor quality control.
either the cloned engines cough a rod or piston out of the side of the block or the poor quality windings go up in smoke taking out the regulators. Many of them get less than 50 hours before expiring.

Buyer beware.

I'd even recommend a generap before a china clone, & everyone here knows how I feel about them.

Your coleman powermate has a pretty good reputation. I have a 4 kw & a 5 kw coleman and have put hundreds of hours on them over the years. usually use them on remote jobsites where power is not available. change the oil at 25 hr intervals and don't let the alcohol gas sit in them.

Your best bet would be to hunt for an older ONAN or Kohler 1800 rpm unit that needs a little TLC. Many 30 & 40 year old Onans are out there and still working fine, just the way they were designed by DW.
All the modern units spin at 3600 rpm and besides being noisy they tend to wear the engines out at a much higher rate
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2013, 06:37:16 PM
Sponsor

got this one free save the $75 in late fees registering the trailer
to be right on it needed only a softer governor spring
photo
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/attach...1&d=1179334731
a few watts to breaker opening overload and it just gets louder; volts and hertz stay spot on
likely 50 YO and delivers the goods weeks at a time
it will out live me and maybe my kids too

a cheap gen set will fail and still cost you the spoiled groceries on top
Old 09-09-2013, 08:43:38 PM
Registered-III

It's amazing anyone buys a Harbor Freight, or any new junk generator. Those old ones on CL are so much better, and less expensive besides.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:38:47 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,169 Times in 1,626 Posts

I picked up a Harbor Freight 2-stroke 900 W Surge / 800 W continious genny from a liquidator that appears to handle returns from HF. They sell on Ebay under the name 'Taddwholesale'. Ending price was about $15, but shipping brought the total up to about $45. The carry handle was broken, but otherwise has worked as well as can be expected. Used it several times on some band gigs to provide lights for breaking down the equipment after the show. Used my good Onan 10CW for the amps & stage lights, and just needed a little power for a double head halogen floodlight stand. Took the 500 W bulbs out of that and put in a pair of 300 W so the cheap little HF gen could handle it and it has worked well so far. Would not trust it for any critical need, though.

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 09-09-2013, 11:26:26 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,126 Times in 1,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroads View Post
r. Since that little episode I have picked up a second hand coleman powermate 4000 watt generator. Robert
Suggest you clean up Coleman, fresh oil, filter, etc. store it in a dry, mouse free environment, and take care of it.
I have run one for 3 days solid every year for "Field Day" .

It a nice unit, and all you need.

If you get the gasoline out of the system after each run, or do the ATF trick posted on this site, that unit should last for many, many outages.

4000 Watts will handle your refer, freezer, some lights, TV, small AC or heating system.
Except for expensive Hondas, it is better than newer stuff on market.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:05:07 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,664 Times in 705 Posts

I have already done all of the above. I spent only $93 to get the unit. It needed a carb rebuilt. linkage rod, governor RPM adjustment bolt and a oil change. I have it now running smooth and out putting 62 HZ at 130 Volts. I am even going a little further and have put some money into it to insure it will be there when I need it. Probably over kill. But I tend to restore and improve vintage machines a little to make them all that much more dependable. I am happy with the unit for the most part. The expert I was working with said since the unit is wired split phase it only has 15 amps at each plug and so may not be able to start my 1/2 shallow well jet pump, But should run the fridge and freezer fine. TV I am not sure about since the output is dirty on these units? I am kinda afraid to try the TV on it. Although I am looking at a nice power isolation transformer with filtering. The telly is only a 20 inch tube set.

So the main issue I have has been solved. Pumping water though still remains on the list of problems to overcome.

Robert

Here is a link to my generator and a rare red coleman restored by a fellow PERR member. This post and the advice of forum member Arkie was invaluble in getting the coleman back into running order.

My two threads about my green coleman generator.

http://www.perr.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11627

http://www.perr.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11690

Fellow PERR member's red unit.

http://www.perr.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8166

Robert
Old 09-10-2013, 12:13:53 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,983 Times in 1,781 Posts

crap.... crap.... crap.... I do have a onan homesite that is made in china.. its a little loud.. but ive got 22 hours on it.. its crap to, even though it says onan... what a shame.. but id run it first if needed till it breaks... that is One good thing these china gens are good for.. run um till they pop and save the parts incase someone is in need... cause getting new parts for them is liking walking on water... unless u want to buy Honda parts and hope they match up..

I would not expect more than 40 hours out of that generator.. plastic cam gears.. push rods that bend as easy as a plastic pen.. I seriously have 7 of them with holes in the case or busted connecting rods or when u turn the engine the pushrods do not move....

The good thing is.. I fixed one a few weeks ago that dropped a valve seat.. piston was good but it bent the pushrod.. I had plenty of spare parts! guy says he bought it used for 250 and got about 2 hours of continuous run time till it stopped..
Old 09-10-2013, 06:33:36 AM
Registered-III

I have run a submersible well pump (probably 3/4 hp) off one of those green Coleman 4K generators, so I think you will be fine. As long as you aren't running much else at the same time.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:50:59 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,603 Times in 2,368 Posts

I have two of the older 4000 watt Coleman Powermate 54400 generators, each powered by a 8HP flathead Briggs. One of them came free from a neighbor who had burned up one of the breakers in an attempt to power a welder from one of the 120 volt receptacles. I repaired the generator, then decided it would be more useful if I could get the full 33 amps at 120 volts only. I was able to rephase the windings for this configuration. Because it was never designed for this usage, I carefully checked for circulating current on the windings, but it shows no sign of this and works very well in it's new "full power" 120 volt only configuration.

I can remember only a few years ago everyone was laughing at these Coleman generators because they are loud and "good for only 500 hours". Well, I guess the Chinese have taken the operating lifetime to a new low, and "500 hours" looks pretty good. Definitely not Onan quality, but built pretty well compared to today's Chinese junk.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:11:28 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,126 Times in 1,835 Posts

TV I am not sure about since the output is dirty on these units?

Newer TV's have switching power supplies. Doubt it would care, unless it is an old one that uses 60 HZ signal as a reference for horiz.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:26:48 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,983 Times in 1,781 Posts

those old flathead briggs engines are good.. just change the oil every few hours.. i dont have any colemans but ive got two 8hp briggs from 1977 and 84 with dayton generator ends.. the one from 77 we ran for 4 days in a row back in 94 during the big earthquake out here and never skipped a beat.. (we changed the oil twice during that period) cant beat that with a stick.. kept our fridge cold and tv and a few lights on
Old 09-11-2013, 03:03:13 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroads View Post
The expert I was working with said since the unit is wired split phase it only has 15 amps at each plug and so may not be able to start my 1/2 shallow well jet pump, But should run the fridge and freezer fine.
Robert-

Is your pump wired for 120 or 240 VAC? If 120, you may be able to reconnect it for 240 at half the current.

Fred
Old 09-11-2013, 04:40:30 PM
Registered-II

I love harbor freight, bought a lot of stuff there. I have a few friends with the $89 2 stroke generators, they love them, Im positive 99% of the time its user error when stuff fails.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:20:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,903 Times in 776 Posts

I have a $99 generator to charge batteries on my camper when camping in the forest. It also runs a 1/2" drill pretty well. I have run several tanks of gas through it without problems in the last 3 years. I also have the 6500W 13 HP Harbor Freight generator. I bought it for power outages, but haven't had one since I bought the generator. I have used it to build a building where I had no electricity and have run probably 20 gallons of gas through it without any problems.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:32:56 AM
Registered-III

I have a harbor freight engine rigged up to an old Honda generator head
http://richardbessey.com/otherlinks/...tor/index.html
Its worked well for my needs, one gallon of fuel lasts about 5 hours, and I have about 40 hours on it. Had a leaky head gasket and gas cap, otherwise it has ran without a problem.
I have the pulleys set so the engine runs about 2400 RPM to get 60 hz. The genhead will pull more power then the engine can generator and will kill the motor.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:46:55 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred M. View Post
Robert-

Is your pump wired for 120 or 240 VAC? If 120, you may be able to reconnect it for 240 at half the current.

Fred
Hi Fred, My pump is wired for 120 volts on a outdoor 200 foot long piece of 12/2. Since I rent I cannot really change up the wiring of the water pump. The motor is a modern pump from either Lowes or Tractor Supply. The motor also has a large starting capacitor on it. I am wondering if the cap would help to kick the pump motor over? It should as that is the job of the electrolytic starting capacitors.

Robert
Old 09-14-2013, 07:06:05 AM
Registered-III

The experts will step in, but I don't think your 4K generator will have any trouble stating that motor. Just make sure you haven't got other big items running at the same time, particularly fridges and freezers.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:51:24 AM
In Memory Of

my coleman 4 kw will run my jet pump just fine. It is wired for 240v.
You can change yours very simply by changing the single pole breaker out to a double pole and use the black & whites as your hots. Change the leads at the pressure switch on the pump also to configure 240. That will take half the amps.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:40:49 PM
Registered-III

Hi Ed, How does this work with the simple flat blade connecter plug if I created a pigtail for connecting the generator to the well pump? The wire has a junction box on it where the line was hit with a mower a long time ago. So I was simply thinking of disconnecting the wire lugs and pigtailing a plug for connection to the generator.

Robert
Old 09-16-2013, 09:15:54 PM
In Memory Of

Not quite sure what your asking Robert.
If you want to plug your generator directly to your well pump feed , you would need to disconnect it from your panel to keep from back feeding.

My electric breaker panel has a gentran switch on it to power critical circuits.
I plug into the 240 volt outlet on the generator with a 8-3 cord and that plugs into the gentran switch,
Then you switch over the 6 circuits using the dbl pole positive break then make switches on the gentran switch to power the 240 well pump & 4 other 110 circuits which include my gas heater, fridge and a couple lighting circuits,& my countertop outlet so the coffee maker or toaster can work.

Heat hot water and stove are all propane so electric load is not very large.