Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Shows and Swap Meets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Shows and Swap Meets Announcements, reviews, photos, movies and discussion about antique engine and tractor shows and swaps.

Shows and Swap Meets

Butt Buggy Proof of liability insurance is required

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 1406 times

Old 03-04-2019, 03:25:36 PM
Subscriber

Default Butt Buggy Proof of liability insurance is required

Assuming this is true, and is a good thing, where does a person get insurance for a home made butt buggy.

Example from coolsprings.
Proof of liability insurance is required for all motorized personal transportation vehicles such as (but not limited to) golf cars, utility vehicles such as gators or mules, riding lawn mowers, unregistered motor vehicles, ATVs, motorcycles, etc.

Motorized vehicles, such as Rascals, Hoverounds, mobility scooters, and motorized wheelchairs, needed by their operators for personal mobility are exempt from this insurance requirement.

BTW my home made butt buggy is battery powered electric so I assume it is exempt from the above but........
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank DeWitt For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2019, 05:41:14 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Butt Buggy Proof of liability insurance is required

I read that as, if you are handicapped, you are off the hook. If you are not, you will need insurance no matter what you operate. Am I right?
Old 03-04-2019, 05:50:40 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by grub54891 View Post
I read that as, if you are handicapped, you are off the hook. If you are not, you will need insurance no matter what you operate. Am I right?
Probably correct. My problem is I can't Imagine where to get this insurance. if I told my home owners guy what a home made butt buggy is and what a engine show is I think he would faint.

Frank
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank DeWitt For This Post:
Old 03-04-2019, 06:26:41 PM
Subscriber

Check with your auto insurance agent. Every one needs to have insurance and should have it. Things happen and there are a lot of people that are sue happy these days.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:47:58 PM
Registered-II

Have you talked to your homeowners insurance agent about it yet ? My homeowners insurance covers my golf cart , which I got a copy of the coverage from them when I took it to the Portland show for the insurance coverage they require . I would describe the " butt buggy " as a riding lawnmower that I wanted to ride at the show , which [ in my opinion ] is basically the same thing , and the riding mower is covered by the homeowners policy , in my case anyway . Good luck with it .
Old 03-04-2019, 07:02:40 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHC View Post
Have you talked to your homeowners insurance agent about it yet ? My homeowners insurance covers my golf cart .
Thanks. I was hoping to hear from someone who had actual done this.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:32:38 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,173 Times in 544 Posts

I don't about the home made part , But I got insurance for my electric scooter from my auto insurance company. Since it is off road , it cost $41 per year. Ron
The Following User Says Thank You to Ronald E. McClellan For This Post:
Old 03-07-2019, 12:13:38 PM
Registered-III

I went to my state farm insurance agent , has my home and auto ins , and he said my homeowners will cover the golf cart IF it is doing what it is made to do on golf course only , not riding around at shows so he sold me lilability ins on it $40.00 per year for it where ever I want to ride it
Old 03-07-2019, 12:58:04 PM
Subscriber

Schroll down a little bit and see this same thread futher down, there is more info on that listing, Good luck.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:35:29 PM
Subscriber

good news. I called around and found a local agent who attends two shows that I go to.

He says a golf cart would be about $50 a year. A electric scooter like mine is covered under my home owners and he will give me a letter to present as proof. AND Iam switching home owners and saving money.

It seems that everyone needs to switch insurance companies every few years because they keep increasing the rates every year.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:59:38 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,016 Times in 1,868 Posts

My dad had state farm from the time he was 16 till he was 81.I had it from the time I was 17 till 3 years ago.I am 52. They doubled our insurance rate and gave no sensiable reason except they said, "newer cars are more exspensive to repair" > I just told the lady "fine,IF you folks would stop courtesy totaling cars you could save millions. I changed and am now paying far less that I was before for the same coverage and the agent is 4 miles down the road!'
The Following User Says Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 09:23:31 PM
Subscriber

the church I attend has changed insurance companies every three years. Just two insurance agents. Back and forth.
Saved money every time.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:25:21 PM
Registered-II

[B]I have State Farm also and I have liability insurance on my 2 battery powered golf carts.
It covers them where ever they go and it was only $11.00 per year.It covers them if I am operating it or if someone else is with my permission driving it[/B
Gene Davis Tennille, Ga.
The Following User Says Thank You to GADavis For This Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 09:21:01 AM
Registered-II

Frank I have not looked into insurance but do you have any idea as to why insurance would be needed for the so called butt buggy when a full size tractor is covered at shows if I am a member? Or at least I was told this recently. They are both motorized personal vehicles. A golf cart or a lawn tractor from the 60 lets say are commercial built. What's the difference if I drive a tractor around or is there no difference and I need to insure my tractors? How does a show let anyone start or run or move any equipment if non members are on the grounds. Maybe your out is everyone pays admission ( dues) to your show and puts their name on a form to get in, then everyone is a member and in your bylaws for your show it states members can't sue the organization. I think something like this is in place at the pageant of steam about members. Now we all know people don't sue only lawyers and insurance companies do. Dan
Old 03-23-2019, 04:00:17 PM
Subscriber

First, not my show, just two shows I attend. Other shows have no restrictions. One asks that butt buggies be registered but no insurance is required.

BTW. I am hosting a show in Lima NY on May 18th. We are insured and anyone can bring and run and move anything.

BBTW. Most shows in PA do not charge exhibitors or require membership. There take. You. Are the show. Thanks for bringing it.

A long way of saying it doesn’t make sense to me. I just go along.

---------- Post added at 04:00:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51:08 PM ----------

I now have my gen-u-ine certificate of or proof of insurance for my home made butt buggy. If the 350 watt dc motor goes crazy and 8 hit someone and they notice I am covered for liability. AND the agent is a gear head who attends the local show.

Stan Steele Insurance Bloomfield NY