Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Wisconsin VE4 Questions

this thread has 31 replies and has been viewed 13876 times

Old 03-07-2005, 11:16:43 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Wisconsin VE4 Questions

I have been cranking with the plug wires off to try and prime it, but I'm still not getting fuel to the cylinders (have it running out the intake) and if you put your hand over the carb it is drawing fairly hard. It does have a magneto and it sounds like the impulse is working (snaps like crazy). I think I am being fairly cautious cranking (only pulling, not wrapping my thumb around, not going too fast). I would kind of like to hear it run a little before I tear it apart.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2005, 03:35:21 PM
Registered-II

They aren't that scary to start!! lol....If the Timing is correct. I have a TF (Two Cylinder) As long as even one cylinder has good compression, the darn thing should start. I have a valve problem on the TF and when the valve got stuck the thing ran for a good hour on one cylinder before it was noticed. When I start mine, I have a switch wired to the mag to kill it, so I set that to ground, then I crank the engine over slowly with the choke on to prime it. After I do this once for each cylinder, I open the switch, set the crank so that the mag wil trip at TDC, cup my hand over the crank, and pull it past quickly. While I am pulling my hand off, I take the crank off. hmm, sounds more complex than it is. If everything is set right, it will run. If not, I try again. You might want to just give it a little gas down the plug holes to help it along. As andrew said "NEVER use Ether to try and start the V series engines" (or ANY engine for that matter!!!) Good luck and have fun with it!

The Simple Serf
Old 03-07-2005, 05:44:57 PM
Registered-II

I have considered the gas in the sparkplug hole thing but haven't gone that route yet. I will pull the carb and double check it and then try again. I was wondering if the cranking with the mag off was a good idea ( I had been doing it some). My Dad was an airplane nut and I remember him talking about "pulling it through" a couple of times with the ignition off before prop starting aircraft engines. I guess in the back of my mind I was still being cautious, thinking it may be more inclined to backfire.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:14:27 AM
Subscriber

Parts For sale on the A.S.E.C.C. for ve4, Doesen't say what they are. Could be worth a look. Tom
Old 03-08-2005, 08:36:14 AM
Registered-II

Thanks, I'll take a look.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:25:44 PM
Registered-II

Well I just got back to the Wisconsin. I tried putting a little gas down the spark plug holes and got a couple of pops but not running. I want to check the timing. I have good solid blue spark but it just doesn't sound right when is does fire. Can someone help me with where to find the timing marks and how to time it? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:21:05 PM
Subscriber

There is a timing mark behind the front screen in the 10 to 11 area if you were looking at a clock. it's on the edge, The mag should trip on or near the mark. Tom
Old 03-26-2005, 01:45:08 PM
eMail NOT Working

Ok Steve firing order is 1-3-4-2,distributor rotor turns at 1/2 of crankshaft speed,,180 degrees between firing of cylinders,,,, looking at the flywheel end,,#1 cyl is closest to the flywheel on the left side of the engine,#2 is directly behind that one,#3 is on the right front closest to flywheel and #4 is right rear...Remove all 4 spark plugs, remove the 6 3/8 or 7/16th bolts around the front screen,get down on knees on left front and look at ends of each flywheel fin...1 of them will have a distinct mark,,,put a dab of white paint on the one with the mark,,, place a left hand finger in #1 spark plug hole and rotate the flywheel til you feel the finger being pushed away from the hole...or use ball of toilet paper, when it pop's out,TDC... There will be a notch cut into the edge of the shroud at that point,about 10;oclock,when marked fin is by that notch#1 is TDC,Now this sounds reckless but I've been doing it this way for about 55 years and I ain't dead yet, and I have a pace maker, so all you'll get is a zap,make sure that the wire going to plug #1 is in #1 on distributor cap....#1 will be upper right looking from rear to front,rotation is CCW,, #2 will be left upper,#3 will be left lower and #4 will be right lower..... anyway with #1 wire between your fingers slowly turn the flywheel and as the #1 piston nears the notch git ready to feel that zap, if you don't get a spark or zapped at that point then it's out of time and the mag will have to come out......
See DOUBLE NOTE BELOW
To do that....Best to tip engine over on right side, prop it up on a cement block padded with a towel or piece oof plank to protect anything from scratching or denting.It's easier working that way rather than laying down on cold cement or ground...See NOTE below,,,Between shroud and timing case you'll see a nut and a bolt thru into the mag, remove them,try to remove the mag without ruinin the gasket, but if you do wreck it another is simple to "tap out",, now with remove the 3/8 slotted plug on side of timing cover, with #1 at TDC look thru hole you'll see either 1 or 2 marks there( with #1 piston at TDC) if #1 piston is TDC AND you see the punch mark centered in the hole STOP and read NOTE below ...If mark isn't there then pull mag... Rotate the advance mech on mag til #1 sparks(use finger again it still won't hurt you)at about 1;30 ,that's the upper right where you should have dabbed white.. There will be either 1 or 2 punch marks on edge of the mag gear,they have to be indexed properly as you reinstall the mag.......
NOTE
Before you remove the mag it might be an idea to check the mag timing itself!! Remove the 2 screws, lift off cap ,remove rotor, remove 4 screws and remove main plastic cover, look at the 2 gears under cover, 1 will have a single mark the other will have 2 marks,the 1 single mark goes betwen the 2 marks..There might even be a letter "C" with an "A" 1 tooth to the right...If it's lettered the dot goes in the groove below the "C"They have to be indexed properly..While you got the points exposed it wouldn't hurt to burnish them up a little, clean off any little bit of oxidation or crud ,reassemble in reverse order...
DOUBLE NOTE
One thing more,,,,looking at the side of the mag,,can you see the tag and the little kill button??Sounds stupid to ask but the 1st time I did mine I went thru the whole process ,remounted the mag, went to put that wire back on and couldn't find the K button,,,had mounted the mag upside down..That was from layin on the cold wet ground,tired and was gettin late,got in a rush andlost thought train.... So if it's late and you're tired leave it for tomorrow....while you have that white paint handy put a dab on #1 on dist cap also..Once you get it running you can check spark advance at 2000 RPM or higher should be 22-23 deg, points set .015 I believe spark plug was .020
Gene
This is all from memory so if I'm wrong someone pls correct me..
Old 06-28-2019, 10:07:27 AM
Registered

Looking for the years on two engines. Most of the online databases i have found are offline. If any have info it would
be helpfull.

If you have the accrual database for teh serials I may be able to host a search when I get a little time.

VF4 S# 2633629
VE4 S# 1594420
Old 06-28-2019, 10:43:42 AM
Registered-III

VF4 S# 2633629 = April 1956
VE4 S# 1594420 = February 1951

Chris
Old 06-28-2019, 10:45:01 AM
Registered

Thank you Chris. Where did you get the info from ?
Old 06-28-2019, 07:09:49 PM
Registered-III

Years of collecting Wisconsin literature.

Chris