Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Two 1Hp Moguls

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 2712 times

Old 10-16-2018, 03:56:10 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Two 1Hp moguls

Hi Merv, I have an adapter that came out of a 2.5 h.p. Mogul. They have the same ignitor as your engines. If you send me your details via a P. M. I will send it to you. It is olive green, I suspect it's an original mogul part. Regards John
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mathieson For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2018, 05:16:41 AM
Registered-II

Well the engine is alive. It wasn't straight forward The adapter plate didn't work even with a new plug. I think the spark was too far from the cylinder and that caused unreliable ignition and the engine was flooding. I also had a look at the timing and compared it with the 2 1/2 Mogul. I took the flywheel off along with the side plate. the timing marks were correct so some adjustments were made with the tappet clearance until I had everything the same as the 2 1/2. I also retarded the spark slightly to about 10 deg before TDC.

This time with a tapered plug it fired up but it took a few minutes to get the mixture right. It now has had a couple of good runs with water. I won't run it again until I have made the exhaust system. I will make the two systems at the same time.
I can now get on with the other engine, I will have to make the fuel tank for it.

The compression is coming right and has improved with each run, it will get better yet.

Merv.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:26:25 AM
Registered-II

I have given the Mogul some good runs. The first few times I had difficulty getting the engine to settle down and run properly then it would fade and stop after a few minutes, sometimes it would start again and sometimes it wouldn't. Also it didn't sound right

I changed the mag to a Wico series A which is always a reliable stand by Mag. This was a lot better but still hard to get it to run sweet..I rechecked the spark and valve timing and with some more adjustment with the tappet I finally got it to run nice. so now, after about a five hour run I an happy with it. It is also up to full compression.

I made a new muffler after the style of an original. I had a part of one that I was able to take some measurements from. It looks the part and works . I reconditioned a breather so now the engine is complete.

I had the mag was reconditioned and throws a big spark so I don't know why it is erratic on the engine, I will check it out again.

Now I will get on with the other one, it requires more work than this one. I will have to make a new tank and the main bearings will have to be replaced, the parts ones were no good either. the rest of it looks pretty good. I have other engines under restoration and waiting for parts to be made so this one will join the queue.

Merv

Here is a video and photos.

https://youtu.be/8CZtFj9XyqE

[IMG]DSCF5162 by Merv Cloake, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSCF5161 by Merv Cloake, on Flickr[/IMG]
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Merv C For This Post: