Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Good Maytag Engine for a Beginner?

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 1051 times

Old 07-26-2018, 11:00:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,044 Times in 1,394 Posts
Default Re: Good Maytag Engine for a Beginner?

Aren't the 92s ignition governed? Meaning they're chugging out fuel when run without a load? I'd want the 72 twin.

Twice I tried to get one of the Winco generator versions on fleabay, but both listings ended up posted on here, then quickly got bid up way too high.

Last edited by Vanman; 07-26-2018 at 11:34:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2018, 11:05:10 PM
Registered-III

For starts ebay is going to always be very high when buying engines in my opinion.... Second a maytag generator version really goes high and it is not surprising but on those ones you have to pay to play. If you want my advice i would suggest you get a nice maytag twin and learn to restore that engine.. next find something fun like a small water pump or a air compressor pump or something that the engine can drive while it runs and restore that. Also look out for estate sales as if you want the really good stuff it hides there and will go cheaper than ebay in some cases. Believe me i have watched many a good engine sell on ebay that i absolutely have wanted and i have seen plenty more go way above what i feel they are worth so dont get discouraged go have fun and make plenty of smoke.
The Following User Says Thank You to ehpower2 For This Post:
Old 07-28-2018, 02:27:49 PM
Registered

Next question is where would I find stuff that these Maytags can power? Iím just going to assume in the same places and the same people as these antique engines. The only thing I currently own that might work is a York A/C compressor that was converted to pump air (i believe as I found it at the dump) but I donít know if it can work.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:44:46 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,117 Times in 3,976 Posts
Exclamation Re: Good Maytag Engine for a Beginner?

Depending on the size of the air compressor, the Maytags may have trouble with it. The 92 single is rated at 3/4 HP - and that is the point where it is hitting at every top center and firing. The twin is only 5/8 HP, throttle wide open. neither engine will fare well under such load. Also, the twins pistons are only 11/2" in diameter. For most applications, the piston on the compressor needs to be less than that of the engine, otherwise, you will stall the engine. A better choice would be either a small water pump or perhaps a small knife sharpening grindstone. As the Maytags are low RPM (less than 1200), these should work well without overloading the engines.

The 92s are 'electrically governed', in that the ignition is interrupted as the engine gains speed. On the 82 and 92s, as the engines speed up the governor closes down the points, which in turn advances the timing a bit. Eventually, the points so not open, and the engine coasts down under compression, until the governor again opens the points. This accomplishes 2 things - it cools the cylinder and allows fresh oil to lubricate the cylinder and piston at the same time.. The draw back is that this 'wasted' fuel and oil get dumped out the exhaust.

The twin 72 is throttle governed. The governor is mounted within the crankshaft. Intake timing is by port and machined passage in the crankshaft - one reason the twins won't run backwards. As the engine speeds up, the governor cuts off the passage thru the crank, which then limits engine speed. The hole thru the crank is only about 3/8" in diameter, which limits top speed if the governor is removed or gets stuck. I have seen twins, where a modern carb and reed induction has been installed on the block. With titanium rods, a solid billet stainless steel flywheel and modern points, these engines can reach 16000 RPM! DON'T DARE try that with the bronze rods and aluminum flywheels the engines come with!

Both engines, the 72 and 92s have their own merits. if you want a quiet steady speed engine, go for the 72. If you like the 'hit and miss' sound, go for the 92. By the time you are done, the cost is about equal.
Andrew
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 12:09:13 PM
Registered

So looking around There are 3 models of York compressors. They all have the same bore of 1 3/4 inches and they all have two cylinders but they all have different strokes. The small has 1.105íí the medium one 1.573íí and the large 1.866íí. I believe I have the medium one but Iím not sure. I canít seem to find anything in the actual piston size either.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:15:53 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,117 Times in 3,976 Posts

If you only intend to run some small model steam engines or blow up balloons, then your maytag probably will run the compressor. if you want to blow up tires, that is another story.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:48:39 PM
Registered

Yeah. I never meant for it to do anything other then that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuma For This Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 03:57:29 PM
Registered

I got a not running but otherwise decent shape 92 for $75. Condition unknown, came from an estate. Quickly determined it was not getting fuel, read up and found out there is a check ball in the pickup tube, was gummed up and not moving, once I cleaned that up it fired right up and runs good.

But, other than making noise, smoke and a puddle of oil under the exhaust, its not that exciting. Would be fun to put one wo work but with the small power you need to get creative.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:36:37 PM
Registered

How much would shipping be do you think?
Old 09-21-2018, 06:32:20 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwem View Post
I got a not running but otherwise decent shape 92 for $75. Condition unknown, came from an estate. Quickly determined it was not getting fuel, read up and found out there is a check ball in the pickup tube, was gummed up and not moving, once I cleaned that up it fired right up and runs good.

But, other than making noise, smoke and a puddle of oil under the exhaust, its not that exciting. Would be fun to put one wo work but with the small power you need to get creative.
Oh wait! I read that wrong. I thought you were selling it lol. Never mind on that.