Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Flint & Walling

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 2376 times

Old 02-19-2003, 01:34:47 PM
Bill

Default Flint & Walling

Flint & Walling engine information and/or location wanted.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2003, 02:27:20 PM
Marty

Default Re: Flint & Walling

Flint & Walling Manufacturing Co. was located in Kendallville, Indiana. They also made pump jacks & windmills. My info states, "Although Flint & Walling was a major concern in the windmill & pump business, little is known of their activity as gas engine builders. Flint & Walling began when David C. Walling and Simeon Flint formed a partnership with W. W. Hildreth to operate a machine shop in Kendallville. In 1872 Mr. Hildreth sold his interest to A.B. Park with the new firm taking the name, Flint, Walling & Co. Flint & Walling Co. was formed in 1886 when the company was incorporated." ( taken from the BRB ) with that much info, that should give you enough key words to do an internet search. Personally I have never seen a Flint & Walling engine. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:13:45 PM
Dwight Vivas

I'm not sure that Flint & Walling ever really built engines. The engines pictured in the BYB, page 176, were built by Alamo Mfg. Co. I have also seen a couple of F&W engines at shows, and these were also rebadged Alamo engines. Dwight
Old 02-19-2003, 05:43:10 PM
Mel Smith Tn.

I was raised on a farm in Kendallville, I now live inClarksville TN, home of the 101st Airborne Div. Last fall I stopped by Flint & Walling, They are still in business,in the same location. They have a small museume with a lot of pumps and pictures of the F&W engines. I have a 2.h p F&W engine with Tag I need to do a little more research but I believe t he engine is a Woodpecker contract engine
Old 02-19-2003, 05:55:38 PM
Mike Monnier

I haven't seen the Alamo version, but I have seen a Woodpecker with the F&W tag. I don't know the make, but F&W also marketed a "Hoosier" engine that is made to run forward. Good luck with your search. Mike
Old 02-19-2003, 09:48:53 PM
Bill In Indiana

There is a windmill museum located in Kendalville that houses much of the F & W records I think....they have a web sight (do a search)and that should provide you with a contact for them. They probably can be of some help putting you in touch with somebody who knows something about these engines. Last I heard they did not have too much on the engines, but it is at least a starting point.

By the way, if you ever get a chance to stop there, do so, these guys are well on their way to building a world class museum! - Bill In Indiana