Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Where's this collection at?

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 3418 times

Old 12-05-2014, 11:43:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,249 Times in 551 Posts
Default Where's this collection at?

Stumbled upon this. Looks like there is 3 Russells, a Minnieapolis, and a couple cases.

anybody have a clue?

http://blog.modeljunkyard.com/2013/0...nkyard-by-tom/
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2014, 11:47:50 PM

Thanked 4,294,967,133 Times in 3,930 Posts
Default Re: Where's this collection at?

"Antique Machinery Junkyard"

Yes, I know and the world doesn't need to post such photos. The thieves will descend upon it.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Beth V For This Post:
Old 12-06-2014, 12:43:16 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,542 Times in 493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth V View Post
I know and the world doesn't need to post such photos. The thieves will descend upon it.
Security through Obscurity is not Security.

The traction engines in that "junk yard" look mostly complete. Including Injectors, Pressure gauges, the works. The boilers may need serious repair/replacement, but they look ready for any dedicated restoration-ist to give them some TLC and rebirth.

I have no interest in the location, and no one should say where.

But does the "junkyard" owner not want to sell them? There is so much there.....

-CB
Old 12-06-2014, 01:12:15 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,049 Times in 3,103 Posts

It is owned by a well known elderly collector. He prefers his privacy as much as possible as he has already had scrap thieves problems. He has many other artifacts that he saved in the old days including several restored engines in the machine shed. He still does heavy dozer work in the area, so he is still very active. It most definitely is not a junk yard, it is his barn lot and also the storage yard for the small excavating operation he has run for years. Most of the collection has been collected since the 50s. In fact he was still actively buying as late as several years back. We all have heard the expression "He who dies with the most toys wins" fits here. F.J.W.

Last edited by FWurth; 12-06-2014 at 01:25:12 AM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 12-06-2014, 07:52:52 AM
eMail NOT Working

Thanked 1,008 Times in 219 Posts

Many times when items are "stumbled upon" one must tuck it away. I'm aware of the location of several barn engines, yet I keep to myself, unless someone asks. We live in a different era now than back in 70's and 80's. Internet now has changed that. There's theives everywhere, even within the those who collect these fine pieces.

Frick gone Keck
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frick1909 For This Post:
Old 12-06-2014, 08:11:58 AM
Subscriber

Not only is this NOT a "junkyard", these pictures were taken by a trespasser that did not have the owner's permission to enter upon his property to even look around let alone take pictures and publicly post them for all to see. The person taking these pictures waited until the owner was not at home to trespass and take these pictures. The owner and his family were/are VERY UPSET with this person. When they spoke to him, he wasn't too concerned over what he did. Said he did it all the time. Too bad this person was not caught taking these pictures by the wrong person or a viscous dog!!
This disrespect of another's private property is becoming an all to common practice.
Stealing has become a problem. Illegal photographs like these, taken by disrespectful trespassers, sure don't help the situation. Whose to say the trespassing photographer didn't help himself to a few goodies while he was taking pictures??
Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

---------- Post added at 07:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 AM ----------

To respond to cyberbadger. The gentleman that owns these engines and other equipment is also currently actively restoring them. He has completed a number of restorations in the last couple of years, and has several current restoration projects ongoing. It sure doesn't help when he goes out into his "JUNKYARD" to find important valuable parts stolen by dirty thieves.

A THIEF HAS MANY TOOLS AND A LIE IS THE HANDLE TO THEM ALL!
Old 12-06-2014, 01:01:13 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,629 Times in 7,475 Posts

We sometimes forget that there are people who are not on the internet. I know some who are private and would be very ticked to learn that their property is being shown to the world!
I don't take much to shows anymore - been there, done that! But people are welcome to stop by any time. But I have been in the shed with the doors open and had people just drive in off the road. They are no doubt just honestly looking for directions or something. But when they see the old iron, they are craning their necks and asking questions. I don't care for that as you never know who they really are. I try to keep them in their vehicles.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 12-06-2014, 01:30:37 PM
Registered

Although I admonish the photographer for trespassing, invading privacy, and unauthorized photography, if valuables are left outside they are no longer sacred with the advent of Google Earth satellite images, drones and those damn cars they have travelling all over taking real time streaming video. There is no such thing as privacy anymore and if you still believe it to be true then you have bigger problems than the errant shutterbug trespassing. IMOH
The Following User Says Thank You to bill chasser For This Post:
Old 12-06-2014, 03:47:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,249 Times in 551 Posts

I didn't mean to kick a hornets nest here. Regardless this man has a nice collection and glad to hear he's restoring some pieces. Shame on those theives, people just have too much time on their hands.

Tim
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim Colwell For This Post:
Old 12-06-2014, 05:13:24 PM
One Millionth Post

You didn't do anything wrong Tim. It just is so disturbing that some one comes on to private property and does a photo session of someone's stuff and post it on the internet for their own gain with out any owner consent! It's an awful invasion of privacy. Many years back I had the privilege of visiting with the owner and even tho he was busy he was very helpful and we had a good visit about steam and the hobby in general.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 12-06-2014, 10:13:40 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,542 Times in 493 Posts

Tim,

I agree with FWurth - you did nothing wrong.

It's a touchy subject - there are some other threads about security. It's hard to hide something as big as a traction engine and equally if not more difficult to pay for the kind of security some of these old gals that are candidates for restoration deserve.

The theft is not just a US/Canada thing either - I've heard about it in the UK. As this equipment becomes older it becomes more valuable. With the rise in scrap value for brass/copper this steam stuff becomes an easy target.

-CB
The Following User Says Thank You to cyberbadger For This Post:
Old 12-07-2014, 12:06:05 AM
One Millionth Post

I think we as fellow collectors that like to visit on site and share our thoughts with others on here feel that we are totally among friends. Not every one that can visit the site is like minded. WERE NOT ALONE! I frequent a similar site that is in the UK and the same issue there only worse. One instance that comes to mind, the fellows were sharing pictures and how well their shops were equipped and set up. Next thing you hear a few months later Some one broke into one of the places and made off with some major tools and trashed the place. Very heart breaking, but all the information the thieves needed was freely posted. We need to sometimes be a bit more careful what information we post, not every one needs to know our work schedule, detailed directions to the place and inventory etc.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 12-07-2014, 09:37:29 AM
Registered

Was this guy featured in Ironman magazine at one time just before that when out of print seems like the pictures are familiar maybe I've seen them on the Internet before there was no name or anything printed as he wanted to have his name in print.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:13:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,637 Times in 1,053 Posts

These pictures do trigger two questions to learn more about Russell engines.

1. Why do two have the casting for oil to the crank pins and one does not? Did the engine missing it originally come from Russell that way, or would it have been converted at a later date to grease? Or is it just missing?
2. Why did Russell prefer oil over grease to the crank pins?

I can remember many engines as a child at the shows that had the casting. I also remember how the Flower's had their Greyhound set up with the grease cup in the center so that Mr. Flowers could grab it for a second and add grease to the engine while it was operating.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:49:58 PM
One Millionth Post

I've seen those centered grease caps on some Keck engines over the years. Possibly these were a after market item.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:14:51 PM
Subscriber

Here is the link to the article in Steam Traction in 2008

http://www.farmcollector.com/steam-t...#axzz3LGhpb100

"Pimp my Keck"
www.steamsmith.com
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KG1584 For This Post: