Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Generac Generators (SEARS, etc.)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generac Generators (SEARS, etc.) Restoring, maintaining and operating Generac generators.

Generac Generators (SEARS, etc.)

Generac 20kw Propane Regulator

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 18781 times

Old 12-06-2010, 05:43:54 PM
Registered-II

Default Generac 20kw Propane Regulator

Need some help from those that know....I friend just bought a used Generac model o4116 20kw 3600rpm generator that was used on natural gas. He wants to run off propane 100lb bottles. There is a Maxitrol RV52 1/2lb input regulator on it now. I need a recomendation for a regulator to drop the high pressure propane vapor to 1/2lb. I spoke with "Propane Parts" and they don't handle anything that large
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2010, 06:01:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,153 Times in 913 Posts
Default Re: Generac 20kw propane regulator

Trying to run a 20KW generator off 100 gallon tanks in vapor extraction mode is likely going to cause the tanks to freeze up in all but the warmest of climates. The better way to do this would be with tanks set up for liquid extractions (such as fork lift tanks) and running the liquid propane through a vaporizer which then feeds the regulator. One of the experts shouold be along soon with more details.

Ike
Old 12-06-2010, 10:01:47 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,185 Times in 967 Posts

If you have a liquid cooled engine, get an IMPCO model J vaporizer and plumb it into the cooling system like a heater core is plumbed on a car or truck. The J unit will take liquid propane from a liquid withdrawal tank and evaporate it, drop the pressure and also incorporates the demand regulator stage as well. Take off the Maxitrol and connect the outlet of the IMPCO to the mixer. Other than that, you need a solenoid valve in the liquid line ahead of the J to lock off the LP when the generator shuts down.

An air cooled engine could use a special version of the J mounted in the cooling air stream or a Beam T50 or T60 liquid tank pressure regulators.

Here's a link to a site that has some pictures and other information.
I have not dealt with them and do not recommend or warn about them in any way! I have dealt with Moulden Supply in Jackson Missisisippi for a long time. They handle all kinds of propane equipment and are very knowledgable.
http://www.propanecarbs.com/impco/modeljconverter.html

Look on down the page and there is lots of good information about Beam/Garretson regulators and some general information as well.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:26:34 AM
Registered-I

1) These were good generators. They don't make them anymore. There are lots of these in the field working fine. It's a "0041160" if I understand you correctly. They came equipped with a Mitsubishi 1.5 litre high performance motor that has roller rockers. Since then Generac has put a 1.6 litre Anhui Chery POS in there. Sad.
2) Go here and get the manual: http://www.generac.com/Service/ManualSearch/
You will need to order the LP regulator for the motor. These were not field convertible but different parts. List price PN 0A9911 is $175.90 and is in stock.
3) The single 100 pound lp cylinder is not going to cut it unless you go liquid like stated here by others. This machine needs 4 gallons per hour full load or 368,000 btu/hr. At 50% full and 20F ambient you'll need 4 tanks cascaded together with pigtails and tees if you run vapor withdrawal. Refer to this: http://home.mchsi.com/~gweidner/vapo...rate-of-lp.pdf
4) A good regulator I use all the time and would be way more than enough is this one here: http://www2.emersonprocess.com/en-US...ages/R632.aspx
They cost something like $50.

Good luck.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:05:44 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,153 Times in 913 Posts

What Jim says about propane tank size applies to the minimum size tank it would take to run the generator at full load when the tank was half full, as the tank empties the available BTU's go down, here is a chart presenting the same information in a different way. http://www.propane-generators.com/propane_usage.htm

Ike

p.s. it is common to refer to propane sizes by the pound (propane weighs about 4 pounds per gallon, for most tanks the legal limit is to fill not over about 80% of capacity)
Old 03-31-2011, 01:32:28 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Generac 20kw Propane Regulator

Mr. Rankin hit the nail right on the head. What is key is, liquid or air cooled. If its liquid, no problem. If its air cooled You have plenty of BTU's between the exhaust and the cooling air discharge to make vapor but you will have to be creative.