Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Fairbanks Morse 1 1/2 Z No Spark

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1264 times

Old 07-18-2016, 03:20:15 PM
Registered

Default Fairbanks Morse 1 1/2 Z No Spark

Hello

I acquired a Fairbanks Morse 1 1/2 Z ( SN:770721) I Think its a 1933-or 34 from my father in law and it does not have spark. I took cover off Mag and tried to clean up points but still no spark. What would be the next Step ? Points are opening and closing, just very new to the hit and miss world and am excited to learn more.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2016, 05:15:41 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,177 Times in 3,995 Posts
Exclamation Re: Fairbanks Morse 1 1/2 Z No Spark

Your engine was built in 1930, according to F/M. What mag is on the engine? It will either be an Bosch AB33 or 34 a small boxy mag with flat magnets on each side (oscillating mag) or an F/M type R rotary mag (has a high loop horseshoe magnet). According to F/M, you should have the R type. Make sure the points are ABSOLUTELY clean. A white business card placed between the closed points, partially withdrawn, then points opened and card removed. The card should come out clean - no grey or black residue. Point gap should be .015 = or - .001. These mags were known for bad condensers and coils. If you don't get spark after setting the points and making sure they are clean, then there are 2 possibilities. 1) take the mag to a good mag shop - look at the sponsors page here on the Stak. OR 2) replace the mag with a F/M J series mag. The J is much more reliable and should be a bolt on replacement.

Be forwarned that if you indeed have an R type, parts and labor are expensive! They are not user friendly to dis-assemble, and internal parts break easily. F/M almost had as much trouble with the R as that had with the Bosch AB33 and 34s! The j series was a direct factory replacement, and probably will cost less in the long run.

if you indeed do have the AB 33 or 34, same applies - your best bet is to have a professional look it over. removing the magnets creates problems, and taking it apart will drive you nuts - again, internal parts break easily. Not only that parts for them are also expensive! unfortunately, you either have them repaired or replace with the j mag (you will have to alter the mag mount to bolt it up)

Let us know how you make out.
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 07-19-2016, 03:19:03 PM
Registered

Default Re: Fairbanks Morse 1 1/2 Z No Spark

Great Thanks for the info Andrew ! I Have the J Series Mag on there now and will try the points again and see where that gets me. How do you test the condenser and coil ? Is it just a continuity check ?

Thanks again !
Old 04-24-2018, 12:36:27 PM
Registered

Just getting back to this project and I have verified that I have spark are there specific instruction or advice for putting magneto back in properly to get timing right ?
Old 04-25-2018, 12:10:50 AM
Registered-III

Welcome back, it has been a long time since you last played with this engine. I have no details on timing this engine but someone will be able to guide you correctly. I usually start with the engine at TDC then time the magneto to be just cracking the points open just before TDC. this should get some result if your in a hurry before someone with real knowledge can help. Keep us informed please.