Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Water in Fuel

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 601 times

Old 03-11-2019, 08:11:16 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Water in Fuel

Bill, Yes, I tried ethanol-free gas. It doesn't run as well--harder to get to run evenly (ignite evenly) under varying load than with ethanol. I really should type out all the mixtures I tried and put them here for everyone to see and comment on. I'll try to remember to bring my notes home from the shop today. It'd make for a very long post though.

Andrew, I think it's really interesting that your 1 1/2 hp M ran on 50/50 without ignition. Did you try it on straight gas or straight kerosene? I'm gonna guess that it wouldn't run without ignition unless the fuel was mixed.

The Reid's governor's strong enough I could put a link to a water valve fairly easily so it opens only under heavier load--without having to make a new carburetor. I think that's like you suggested, EMU. (I was thinking new carb up until now.) That'd be fairly simple to do other than needing my other engine belted and plumbed so I can work on the Reid while it's down. Drat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joel Sanderson For This Post:
Sponsored Links