Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engines and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engines and Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engines and Collectibles

Monitor Mower

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 593 times

Old 11-04-2019, 11:40:45 AM
Registered

Default Monitor Mower

i recently went to a sale and bought 3 mowers, 2 rpm lawn boys and one monitor maytag twin, it had been fixed up in the past but not good, wrong wheels, straight pipes on the motor, no handle and no blade/blade mount. i have wanted one of these for years.
my question does anyone have a blade mount for this mower it clamps on the shaft not held on by a center bolt as most. i know this is probably a wild goose chase but i thought why not give it a try. if not i'll try to make one from a pulley.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andy Williams For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2019, 12:27:30 AM
Registered

Default Re: monitor mower

hay show pics of the monitor….

Last edited by ulgydog56; 11-05-2019 at 12:28:19 AM. Reason: change
Old 11-06-2019, 01:26:12 AM
Registered

Default Re: Monitor Mower

The original blade adaptor was aluminum. It used three blades that were mounted to it. The blades mounted to the adaptor with two bolts to one end of the blade and were mounted so they did not stick straight out but act an angle that kind of sliced the grass. I have one of the Monitors and also have a parts list somewhere if that will help you I could make you a copy of it. The one I have is still in the shipping crate. It came with a Quart of Maytag oil, an extra set of blades, Starter rope and handle, and allen wrench to change blades. These parts were in a box strapped in one corner of the crate.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:32:58 AM
Registered

uglydog56 pictures will come i need to get a new battery.
lawnboy thanks for the offer but i have a manual and know what it looked like. i guess i'll just have to make something to hold the blade or blades. i bought it at an auction they had a pair of them but only one handle and one blade/adapter lying between them. by the time of the sale the blade and handle was with the other one. you really needed both to make a complete mower. but the other sold too high. i always wanted one of these, sounds like you have the best one in the country
Old 11-06-2019, 12:45:36 PM
Registered

it is the one to the right, i bid on both but it got too high to get both. the other had a chunk broken out of the deck at the front wheel and been repaired and had no little emblem on the front. as i said mine has no exhaust hoses, handle or blade/blade adapter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mowers monitor.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	348474  
The Following User Says Thank You to Andy Williams For This Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 10:00:12 AM
Registered

i cleaned the points and it has spark on both plugs. i also polished the flywheel. looking good. at least i won't need a new coil
Old 11-18-2019, 09:41:41 AM
Registered

A question on these All i have seen were painted red, red and silver or red and black. i saw one red and green. i read an article on a past issue of GEM late 70s-early 80s and it said these mowers were painted dark green, it said they had a red primer under it and people thought they were red originally. anyone ever heard of this? the one i have had been sandblasted years back and painted red so no original left on it. also it said around 2,000-2,200 were made in the mid/late 40s and some had a name tag and some didn't.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:50:53 AM
Registered

I have a Monitor still in the shipping crate that has never been run that is red.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lawnboy For This Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 09:23:10 AM
Registered

Thanks lawnboy, All i have ever saw were red i just didn't want to repaint mine the wrong color. maybe a few green ones were made who knows, but mine will be red.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:10:42 AM
Subscriber

andy,the monitor mower you have was built by the hartman corp.they built the monitor and the hartman mowers, both the same mower .the hartman was painted red with the running man emblem, the hartman was dark green with the hartman corp tag.the monitor mowers had firestone embossed on the tires sidewalls. the hartman had hartman embossed on the tires. when i got my monitor mower it had one of each tire!
The Following User Says Thank You to Clement Rook Jr. For This Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 09:37:54 AM
Registered

Clement, this is interesting, glad you shared this, as you said mine has no name tag but has the running man emblem, mine had new replacement tires that had a big stack of washers behind the wheels to fit the original shafts. i found some scott lawn spreader wheels that were the right hub width and put them on it. from what you said i guess it was red new. since it had been repainted do you know the trim color? meaning the wheels, handle and engine as i said i've seen some black, green or silver.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:17:01 PM
Subscriber

Andy, the monitor mower only had the running man emblem no other mfg. tag, here are the colors i painted mine
krylon rusty brown primer on the mower deck & handle
majic tractor & implement enamel,new holland red #8-22956
for the mower deck and rear wheels ,no paint on the front aluminum wheel with cast spokes or the mower deck underside.
plasticote #203 universal black engine enamel for the engine
krylon satin nickel#51255 for the handle
all the paints are rattle cans ,some came from tractor supply & wally world
i hope this helps
clement
The Following User Says Thank You to Clement Rook Jr. For This Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 10:09:29 PM
Registered

Red for Monitor and green for Hartman is the colors I have been told. I also have a 13 page parts list and service manual for Monitor Power Lawn Mower. Lists it as Model PL-1. Has drawings of all mower and engines parts with part numbers, and service and repair instructions. If anyone wants a copy, I will make and send for $3.00 postage paid.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:00:04 AM
Registered

thanks to both and lawnboy pm or email me with your mailing address i think i'll get one of those manuals.