Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Wisconsin TJD Starter Problem

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 369 times

Old 07-11-2018, 08:04:25 AM
Registered

Default Wisconsin TJD Starter Problem

I have an older two cylinder Wisconsin that is missing the ID plate. When I bought it the guy told me it was a THD, but after getting it to fire I found that it was only firing on one cylinder. Turns out it's a TJD and the mag was for a THD. So I got a TJD mag and got it running but the starter grinds bad and doesn't seem to mesh correctly.

Seeing how he thought it was a THD and had the wrong mag on it, I wonder if the starter is wrong also. The starter is an old Autolite starter MZ 4184 4M and has a 10 tooth gear. Looking at new starters I see that the starters listed for a TJD have a 9 tooth gear.
Any idea what starter this engine should have?
Thanks for any help.

---------- Post added at 08:04:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03:10 AM ----------

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the starter itself.
I took it apart, cleaned it out, lubed the Bendix and bushings and even tried shimming it but it's no better. The starter gear and ring gear are somewhat worn but not as bad as some I've seen. When it first engages you can see the starter is actually getting pushed back while trying to engage. I'm thinking it's the wrong starter but hate to spend $200 on a new one without knowing.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2018, 09:33:12 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Wisconsin TJD starter problem

I had that problem. Turned out that the old Bendix spring was just too tired to do the job. I bought a new Bendix drive from a supplier in Oklahoma. Here's a copy of an email to me from him four years ago. I guess he's still there??

The starter number you gave shows to take the 9 tooth, however I have run across a few applications that required the 10 tooth. We do have them in stock, but not listed on the internet. Our part# is 03-103C10T and sells for $69.95. If you are interested in purchasing or have any other questions, please call 1-800-336-0769. Our business is open M-F 8:00am-5:30pm cst.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlieB For This Post: