Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Wisconsin VG4D, Looking for a Distributor

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 431 times

Old 10-09-2018, 08:46:14 PM
Subscriber

Default Wisconsin VG4D, Looking for a Distributor

A friend has a Kohler generator powered by a VG4D with Magneto ignition. He has had repeated problems with oil in the magneto. Twice we have replaced the oil seal in the mag and yet the problem returns. The crankcase ventilation system appears to be working as it should. To check for pressure buildup in the crankcase we removed the 1/2" observation plug from the gear cover and installed a hose barb and a length of clear tubing. With the engine running no flow or pulsations were detected at the end of the tubing, so we can't believe that there is pressure in the crankcase forcing oil into the mag past it's seal. He would prefer that the unit had battery ignition anyway, so we are looking for a used (cheap) distributor. Anyone know of one?
Jack Hottel
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2018, 10:14:15 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Wisconsin VG4D, Looking for a Distributor

I will check. There may be one on a parts engine out back. Let you know.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:30:29 AM
Registered-III

Jack, does your friend have a Fairbanks Morse or Wico magneto on his engine? How far has this magneto been pulled apart for service? Is it at all possible that the oil just happens to be from someone overly excited about oiling the felt wiper for the points eccentric? I have never heard of a Wisconsin pumping oil into the magneto before. It sounds like the magneto is either very worn out and needs new bushings, crankcase pressure is extremely high, or there is oil pooled somewhere in the magneto and it is being sloshed about causing issues. I personally prefer VG4D's and VP4D's with the XH1343 Wico magneto's, they are wonderful and pretty much trouble-free for thousands of hours of run time. Wisconsin offered several styles of Prestolite distributors for the VG4D, some integrated into a generator, and some as standalone gear driven units. You may be able to get away with a standalone unit as the generator likely has a built in DC generator to charge the battery.

Chris
Old 10-12-2018, 09:24:49 PM
Subscriber

K-TRON, The unit has only a few hundred hours on it. The engine was made in 1988 and the mag is the original. The Mag is an Fairbanks Morse JX4B7A. It gets quite a bit of oil in it before it fouls the points. We have torn it down and replaced the seal twice.The bushing and the shaft fit well with no play, and the shaft is smooth where the seal rides. I begin to believe that there may be a flaw in the magneto structure that allows oil to migrate to the back end. If we go into it again I will look for it.
Our experiments, described in my original post, showed no crankcase pressure. We have considered various approaches and decided to try to find distributor. I did price a replacement mag and can get a brand new Wico for ~$400.00, I am told.
We would not want the distributor drive with the generator.
Jack Hottel
Old 10-13-2018, 09:01:59 AM
Registered-III

Hi

Wisconsin did produce that engine with a distributor that mounted just like the magneto and the distributor cap was much larger in diameter than the little distributor mounted on the back of the generator.

Phil P
The Following User Says Thank You to Phil P For This Post:
Old 11-25-2018, 09:53:16 AM
Subscriber

Update:
Thanks to a fellow stacker my friend now has a a distributor ignition with a Pertronix conversion on his Genset. Once we had the parts the conversion was quite easy. He should now have a trouble free unit, barring more lightning bolts.
For those who might be interested, the Distributor Drive is a Wisconsin TF130, the Distributor is a Prestolite IAD-6004-2N, the Pertronix Ignitor Kit is a 1541 and the Pertronix Coil(3 ohm) is 28010. New distributor cap is AL70 and Rotor is AL69, both from Napa. The Pertronix requires resistance high voltage wires which were generic from CarQuest.
Jack Hottel
Old 11-25-2018, 07:38:00 PM
Subscriber

Glad to hear you got it running.