Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

1927 20-35 Allis Chalmers

this thread has 98 replies and has been viewed 12570 times

Old 07-25-2015, 10:32:47 PM
Subscriber

Default 1927 20-35 Allis Chalmers

Hi all,

I don't post here often, but I read the posts all the time! I want to thank everyone for this amazing site, that can never be said too much.

Up until a couple of weeks ago I didn't have anything to post about. But then I got my 1927 Allis 20-35! I've been wanting one of these for a long time. And for the last few years I have been more seriously looking for one. I finally came across one for the right price (a project), the right location, and the timing was good (usually someone else beat me to the punch).

I will be mechanically restoring this tractor, but will not be painting it. They are only original once, and I am really starting to appreciate that!

So I got to go back home and spend three fun days with Dad tearing into this tractor when it was delivered. Everything looks good so far, there is virtually no wear on what we have taken apart so far.

Here is a bunch of pics on my Photobucket account:
http://s293.photobucket.com/user/pic...?sort=3&page=1

And here is a walk around video I did when I got it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpwGZAZvlFo

The engine is stuck, and has had parts robbed in a former life. One piston is gone. One head is not original, and one is missing all the valve train.

We took apart the steering box to clean and inspect it. There is no wear on the gears, and only the one pin that connects the worm gear to the steering shaft is loose. An oversize pin should fix that.

We took the bearings out of the left front wheel to get the numbers off of them to order some for the right front wheel. They were taken at some point as well. We got the bearings, so once I locate the dust shield and get some new felts, that can all go back together.

I took the cover off of the transmission and drained and have begun to flush it out. From what I can see, everything looks good. No worn teeth and nothing broken, so that is good.

I brought the oil filter back with me and have gotten that all disassembled, cleaned, and put back together. It is a PurOlator type B. I have some questions though. The filter was not on the tractor when I got it, so I am wondering how the bottom mounts to the tractor? Am I missing a part? I know the top mounts to the lifter cover nut on the block. And then what is the horseshoe cutout on the bottom of the plate for?
I am assuming this is the correct filter for this tractor because it has original green paint on it, but it is different than the others I see online. Mine has no bolt that goes through the canister. Instead it has two bolts and a hand wheel that clamp the canister down. There are pics in my account.
Any info here is appreciated!

I also have started to disassemble the carb. A Wheeler Schebler AX213. So far things look ok. I have found one tube that has a crack along the length of it. (again, pics in Photobucket) I am under the understanding that parts for these are non existent?
How about a parts diagram? I haven't found much info on these.

As usual, any info, tips, or comments are always appreciated! I have a LOT to learn, but I can say that I am in love with this tractor!

This is going to be a long slow project, but I promise to keep you all updated when progress is made, Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2015, 06:40:23 AM
Richard Sturdy

Default Re: 1927 20-35 Allis

I have had several E class Allis-Chalmers tractors over the years, including a really nice original 20-35, which I sold to a friend last year, when I was reducing my tractor collection. I can honestly say that they are superb machines - pull like a mule (a very large one!) and have an exhaust note which is a delight to the ear. They have a character which is all their own and I know that you will enjoy owning yours. Good luck with the restoration - Norm Meinert is a great source of parts and advice!
Tricky Dickie
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Post:
Old 07-27-2015, 06:52:37 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 18,258 Times in 4,198 Posts

Jacob,

Looks an wonderful project.
Nice to keep the tractor original.

Keep us involved what you are doing and keep posting.

Richard,

Nice to see you back.
Have heart that you bought some very beautiful antique cars.

Hope to see you somewhere in the future on an new family Koolen tractor day.

Chris,
Old 07-27-2015, 09:51:17 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,879 Posts

Good find. The carb on that one are kinda scarce so don't loose any parts. That freeze crack in the little tube can be cleaned and a bit of solder will take care of it, likely will need to clean and check for cracks on the float as well. Mr. Meinert may have some repairs available on that as well. I've never seen a oil filter like that on one so that is a bit unusual.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 08-21-2015, 07:56:23 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: 1927 20-35 Allis Chalmers

Hi all,

Just thought I'd give you an update on my progress on my 20-35. I got to head home before the GOTO in Turtle Lake, WI and spend a few days working on disassembling the engine. Dad and I got the entire block out of the tractor and stripped down except for the pistons and sleeves.

Every part of this tractor is HEAVY! LOL!

I posted a bunch more pics in my Photobucket if anyone is interested in checking them out.

We also got the radiator flushed out the first go around, I will end up taking the top and bottom tanks off and cleaning everything out well, because there was a whole mess of mouse nests that came out, ick....

Got the hand crank handle off the radiator bottom tank so the spinner could be freed up. Now we need to straighten it a bit and get the spinner welded up (broken).

Got one of the pins of the break band out, and still working on getting the other two out so we can get the break all free and working as it should.

Removed the oil pump from the oil pan, still need to free that up as it is stuck tight. Discovered that the oil pan, and the bottom cover on the pan were both cracked. But I got a replacement for both at the GOTO. I also picked up a fan shroud, a set of 5" pistons (plan to bore out my original 4 3/4" sleeves), and one connecting rod, also the water manifold, some valve train parts, and hood strap that I was missing. I got all of this from Matt Scott, so if you are ever looking for parts, ask Matt, he is a good guy to deal with! Thanks Matt!
Gary also brought me the wire piece that holds the radiator cap shut, thanks Gary!
I also bought me a slew of parts and gaskets from Norm, so I have actually rounded up the vast majority of the things I have been looking for so far.

I'm still on the hunt for the throttle quadrant. And some valve train parts. And a magneto.

I believe that I have solved the oil filter mystery, as it bolts up perfectly to the manifold bolts, and I found an ad that has a drawing of this type of filter. I also talked with a guy at the GOTO that says he has seen a couple of other tractors with this type of filter on them as well.

Got to meet and talk with a bunch of new people at the show, some of them are on the forum here. I actually spent more time talking than looking at tractors I think! Spent a good while checking out Big Charlie, and talking with Old Scrambler about him (I'm coming up short with your real name, sorry) A big thank you to Roger for hauling Charlie up to the GOTO!

Lots of good headway was made, but there is still a long road ahead of me, thanks for all of the support so far!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jacob WI For This Post:
Old 08-23-2015, 06:26:04 PM
Subscriber

I just talked with Dad, he got the gas cap unstuck! How do you like the setup he used? Ingenious I thought

From what he says the tank is rusty, but only what you would expect to see, it should clean up. There is also a baffle in the tank from what he tells me, which I didn't know.

I worked on the governor this weekend. I got it taken apart and all cleaned up. It is amazing how much original paint is under the gunk and rust once you clean everything up!

Things look pretty good, there are a couple of pins that I will probably have to replace because they are worn fairly bad. But for as old as it is, it's really amazing things aren't in worse shape.

As usual, I added a handful more pics for you all to see what I've been up to, and what the inside of these old machines looks like.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jacob WI For This Post:
Old 09-08-2015, 08:29:27 PM
Registered-I

A REAL vice-grips!!!

I remember the conversation..........and your smile!

Dennis in Wisconsin...........aka Old Scrambler
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Scrambler For This Post:
Old 09-18-2015, 07:25:36 PM
Subscriber

Hi all!

Time for another update, as progress has been good. I took another trip home and got some good wrenching time in on Big AL. The good news is I got a bunch of things done, the bad is that now I probably won't get a chance to go back until Christmas time.

I started by getting the break band and pedal assembly off of the tractor. Getting the pin out was a chore, as it was stuck tight. A tip for doing this, tape a nut onto the end of the pry bar to press the pin out. The band needs a new lining, but all else looks good.

I got the torch out and fixed and disassembled a few things.

I got the front left fender bracket straightened out, and a good chunk of the dented fender popped back out, but it still needs a ton of work.

Got both ends of the drag link taken apart.

Got the pivot pin for the front axle removed, and all the nuts off for the radius rods so that could be taken all apart. We straightened the one bent radius rod. Anyone know what the paint stripe on the back of the pivot point is about?

We were going to remove the steering spindles so new king pin washers can be done, but we ran out of Oxygen for the torch, so that put a stop to that.

Got the fan hub taken apart, so that can be cleaned up and put a new seal in it.

more to come...
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacob WI For This Post:
Old 09-18-2015, 07:27:45 PM
Subscriber

I removed the gas tank and started to clean that out. Put a chunk of chain in and started to slosh it around to get all the loose rust out. It is dirty. Unfortunately too, a hole appeared under where the rear mounting bracket goes on the bottom of the tank, so this will need to be fixed now too.

I took a big brass punch and knocked all the stuck lifters up so the cam could be removed from the block. The cam is looking good, but the lifters are all shot. Fortunately I already located another set of lifters.

Pressing the pistons out of the sleeves was a treat. They were stuck good! But they are all out now, so now the next step is to decide were to bring my sleeves to have bored out for my new 5" pistons.

Got the main shaft pressed out of the oil pump, but the other gear is still stuck.

I got the wire for the radiator cap fit. It needed to be trimmed down a bit. There must be more than one size of these wires? The one I got was only 5" between the ends, mine needed to be about 5 1/4". Another thing we've noted, that my rad cap has two slotted screws to hold the gasket and washer to the inside of the cap, where most have just the single hole with a rivet to hold the gasket. Is this a '27 difference again?

We also plugged the outlets for the radiator and filled it with vinegar to clean it out good before we disassemble it. After setting filled with vinegar for a few days we drained it and flushed it a bunch more. Found a couple of tiny leaks, but fortunately they are where the tank top and bottom meet the core, so should fix themselves with new gaskets I hope.

Things have been going good, and it was pointed out to me the other day that I have only had this tractor about 2 months at this point, so that makes me feel even better about the amount of progress that has been made.
The pipe dream is to have this tractor up and running for next summers show season, but I know that we have a LONG way to go before that is going to happen.

If things go really good, I hope to get to put some things back INTO the block when I'm home for Christmas time, but we'll see......

As usual, I added a ton more pics to my Photobucket:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacob WI For This Post:
Old 09-18-2015, 07:32:31 PM
Subscriber

Hi all,

I want to pick your brains a bit. My 20-35 is missing its oil pressure gauge. I've talked to some knowledgeable people and gotten their opinions, but there is always more info out there if you ask, right?

The general consensus is that most short fenders have the regular old oil gauge on them. But I have reason to believe that mine might have had the early type of oil pressure gauge on it like is found on the L "Big Charlie".
Here are a couple of pics I took of Big Charlies oil gauge at the GOTO in turtle lake this summer.

here is a pic of the two oil lines going to where the gauge should be on my 20-35.

and here is a pic of the front where there is a glob of goo I speculate came from the gauge leaking slowly over time. How else would oil turn into a goo spot here? Note how it is located about where the top of the gauge would be.

I also found this pic in the ad brochure for the short fender 20-35's. I realize this is just an artists rendering, but it has the style of oil gauge we are talking about, so that must be some proof it was used on the short fenders, huh? See page 6 where they are talking about the draw bar, but note the oil gauge in the drawing.
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...t=tractorpower

As you can see, I've spent some time trying to figure this out, LOL!
What say you???

Looking forward to hearing your opinions and what info you have on the topic, Thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacob WI For This Post: