Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

1927 20-35 Allis Chalmers

this thread has 98 replies and has been viewed 12548 times

Old 09-18-2015, 07:35:43 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: 1927 20-35 Allis Chalmers

Ok, let's talk fan shrouds now,

I picked up this shroud for my tractor, but have now noticed a small difference between it and other shrouds on 20-35's.

On this shroud the inside lip (on the round hole) has a flat bend of 90* which has four square nuts welded to it, which we speculate was for a place to mount a screen or guard to protect you from putting your hand in the fan, like seen on the earlier tractors. There was an L at the GOTO in turtle lake with a guard like this, but I didn't get a pic. (next to Big Charlie)
If this is the case, anyone have a pic of what this screen should look like?

Most shrouds I looked at on other 20-35's have this lip rolled over a small piece of wire so there is no means to fasten a guard in this location.

What is the story on this? Is this an early '27 difference thing again?
Those with 20-35's, what does your tractor have on it?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2015, 10:50:41 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,529 Times in 1,123 Posts

I'll check me '27 tomorrow on the fan shroud.
The early '27s may have used that early style oil gauge. There is another pic on p. 38 on the link you posted showing two oil lines to the gauge.

Those early gauges are like hens teeth!!
Old 09-19-2015, 11:00:42 PM
Sponsor

Jacob. My parts '27 has the same type of fan shroud as you have,maybe in a little better shape! I suspect that they changed about '28 to a simpler shroud as Allis was still cutting the cost of these tractors to make them more competitive in the market place.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:39:28 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,490 Times in 2,869 Posts

As Phill mentioned above, those were the years when Harry Merritt took over the management of the ag division of Allis. He made many changes to bring down the production cost. He lowered the price to move out old inventory and made many changes in design and production to speed up assembly and use less materials to lower cost. He also dropped all but the two best models to cut costs. The improved E and the new U were the only ones to survive the cut. He then acquired Rumely to get the Branch houses and dealers to get a wider market for sales and facilities for the all new Combine production. He had a well planned direction for the future of Allis that was very successful for decades to come.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 01:52:50 AM
Subscriber

Jacob WI ( Roger Weinhold AKA Charlie 1925 here ) You met my brother and seen my tractor, 1925 Allis Chalmers model 15-25 and I remember talking to you by Norm`s parts trailer. Welcome to this network, There is a lot of info. & help here, There are several other guys on here that are working on A/C model "E"s. I don`t know anything about that oil pressure gage on Big Charlie ( It is not hocked up,) Thats why there is another gage down on the right side of the engine, Good luck on your projects. Hope to see you next show season, I will be back up to Wisconsin again, I think the next GOTO`s are in Ind . & Mo.
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie1925 For This Post:
Old 10-11-2015, 12:50:59 PM
Subscriber

I have some motor parts from a K Allis if needed....Don L.
The Following User Says Thank You to Don Livingston For This Post:
Old 10-11-2015, 10:55:05 PM
Subscriber

Hi all!

I don't have much to add at this point, but I want to try to keep this post updated as I progress with this project.

I did disassemble and clean up the valve covers recently. I have a question about them. What do you guys use for the breather material in the valve cover? Originally it was horse hair, and mine was still that. Boy was it gross. Cut a piece of air cleaner foam material to put in there?

I also acquired a few more parts that I have been looking for. I got a magneto, a front hubcap, some valve train parts, and primer cups from Briewers Tractor Salvage, Thanks Gary!

I went up to the Makoti, ND threshing show on Oct 3rd and checked out the 1927 20-35 they have at the showgrounds. I really was hoping to talk with someone about this tractor, but from what I heard this tractor has not been out of the barn in several years unfortunately, and no one was around
I did spend a good deal of time looking at all of its little details, and measuring up some parts that I need to fabricate for my tractor. This tractor is earlier than mine, and all of the little bits that are different on '27's (or that I speculate are '27 features) are constant with what I have found, so that makes more proof of things. I also took a bunch of pics
http://s293.photobucket.com/user/pic...?sort=3&page=1
Now I can fab some of the little things I am missing like the hand crank holding wire, the air cleaner pipe, and the radiator choke rod bracket.

I am still on the hunt for a throttle quadrant like this if anyone has any leads?

Also, if by some chance someone has an exhaust manifold like this one, I'd be very interested. From what we can gather, only the '27's had this manifold with the ears on the top where the muffler pipe goes. It was a dumb design, and you can imagine why they changed it (broken ears from over tightening the cast to try to tighten up to the exhaust pipe).

Does anyone know if hose clamps like this are being reproduced? They are brass, and not just the typical strap type, they are more fancy. My tractor, this tractor, and Tony Tompson's (all '27's) all had this type of hose clamp. I know it's a shot in the dark, but would anyone have any good used ones they would be willing to sell me? Mine are all broken.

Thanks for all the info, I'll keep everyone posted on my progress!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacob WI For This Post:
Old 10-11-2015, 11:15:35 PM
Subscriber

well huh,
I just noticed another difference! Look at the throttle quadrant in the above post versus this one on Tony's '27.

I've been focusing on the cast right lever with the ball on top (also note the poor casting on the Makoti lever, the ball is hardly even a round ball), but just noticed that the left lever is different between these two! Tony's has a little flipper deal on a flat strap, the Makoti '27 has a twisted strap with no flipper and teeth on the left side of the quadrant as well.

Very interesting... Just HOW many variations did Allis have over the years?!

I find all of these tiny differences fascinating...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacob WI For This Post:
Old 10-12-2015, 01:29:29 AM
Sponsor

My '27 had the same throttle quadrant and levers like Tony's. It is now at home on another local '27!
I may have a couple of those brass hose clamps. They are generally heavier material than the steel type. Unfortunately, the brass gets very brittle over time and they break.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:56:49 PM
Subscriber

Time for an update:

I was back home over the holidays and got some tractor wrenching time worked into the schedule.

As of now the engine has been completely broken down and I hauled all of the parts that need machining down to the machine shop. Hopefully this next week or so they will get a chance to look things over and get working on it. They are going to be boring out the original 4 3/4" sleeves to fit the new (used) 5" pistons. They are also going to work over the crank and all the bearings as needed. The cam, if good enough to regrind, will be reground. The heads will get new valve seats, and fly cut the head surfaces and manifold surfaces. The rocker arms will also need some rework from them being worn.
So hopefully in a month or two I'll be making another quick trip home to get the finished parts. I'll keep you updated

While home I took apart the tie rod and drag link and cleaned them up and put them all back together, so they are ready to go now.

I also removed the one broken extension rim so it can be welded up.

We got a new bottle of oxygen for the torch, so we finished disassembling the front axle spindles. They need some new bushing, then they will be ready to reassemble as well.

Finally got the oil pump freed up. Letting things soak for a length of time here was the key. Once it was all apart, and cleaned up, things looked good so that was a nice surprise!

Like I mentioned, I had gotten the heads stripped down before bringing them to the machine shop.

My magneto is going to be headed to Matt Scott to rebuild in a couple of weeks when my sister is going through that way, and she'll pick up some more parts that I'll need from him.

My buddy Kyle came up to visit and see this project, and I sent him back with my governor. He is going to remake a few parts for it, so that should be back in tip top shape before long as well.

Things are starting to fall together it seems, I brought a few more little parts back with me to clean up when I have a minute. I'm feeling more confident about getting this tractor back together and running for show season this summer.

As usual, I have added a few more pics to my Photobucket account.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jacob WI For This Post: