Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Twin City 20-35 Prototype?

this thread has 65 replies and has been viewed 7764 times

Old 01-17-2016, 01:38:36 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,090 Times in 354 Posts
Default Re: Twin City 20-35 Prototype?

Tony, from what I can tell the third picture in post #27 of the 20-35 equipped with wooden wheels appears to be on a beach or large sand river bank pulling a large piece of timber.
West Coast perhaps?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Blaney For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2016, 11:49:54 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,123 Times in 1,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider View Post
Tony..I did not know that the picture on post #22 was part of an ad. I only came across the photo. That ad brings up yet another question...

Were the 20-35's that were fitted with the Pierce governors ever offered for public sale?
I noticed that Pat Bayer's # 3214 is outfitted with the Twin City governor and I can't find any evidence in the parts book that any 20-35 after serial #3200 had a Pierce governor installed. If the illustration on the grader ad is a representation of the actual tractor on the grader then that tractor would probably fall in the pre #3200 range and would actually be a prototype.

I found this "debut" article on the 20-35 in an archived copy of "Tractor World" in May of 1921. That illustration is the same one that was in my parts book (post #10). The article lists the rear wheel width as 20" which the illustration clearly isn't.
Mark,
You seem to be driven forward by the smallest of details!
This is good, however, our sources for details are limited and mixed up so I tend to look beyond the poorly organized details to the big overall picture of company history, economical conditions and sales/usage to theorize answers to some of these questions.

The Pierce governor was used on early 20-35's until MS&MC replaced it with their own design...that may be all we ever know about this tiny detail.
Did buying public get some of them? I would say yes, but not because it is clearly listed in precise manuals with prices, quantities and dates, but more because if any of these machines were ready to be sold they needed to be gone ASAP no matter what governor is on them to avoid nervous bankers from shutting the whole works down...sometimes guessing is all we are left with and the best ideas will be found by looking at the big picture because history seems to repeat itself within manufacturing facilities run by bosses and bankers.

Is the tractor in the grader add a prototype?
My guess is no because their is too many spokes in the front wheels to be prototypes and the TWO tractors in the ONE grader illustration are not even the same machines!

The 1921 "debut" article needed a picture for public appeal and it got the same picture that appeared in several other forms of printed material that was often mislabeled. This drawing does not even look right. It has 12-20 features, I see a lot of the steering wheel showing above rear wheels that look small. I am not even sure what I am seeing here...anyone else care to weigh in on that one? By 1921 that questionable drawing should not have been used. To me this is proof that the same photos and drawings got used over and over for several years right or wrong.
More of my big picture opinion, but these were tough times in a tough environment where proper documentation may have taken second place to the demands of reality

I was an old school pioneer in recording TC history and tried to set enough of the accurate text and photos together to make a basic useful compilation for enthusiast's to use.
No one has made my head hurt quite like you do! Thank you for that! You are a valued Smokstak member and I hope to meet you in person someday
Tony
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tony Thompson For This Post:
Old 01-17-2016, 04:34:08 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,124 Times in 875 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Thompson View Post
No one has made my head hurt quite like you do! Thank you for that! You are a valued Smokstak member and I hope to meet you in person someday
Tony
I would suspect you could make that happen this year at Rollag since there will most likely be quite a few TC's there this year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSWithers For This Post:
Old 01-17-2016, 05:12:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,243 Times in 193 Posts

Here is one more picture of a short fender 20-35 but like Tony said they are far and few between. Great to see some interest in the old TC's! See ya at Rollag.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Short fender.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	243986
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jim Anderson For This Post:
Old 01-17-2016, 06:24:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,715 Times in 696 Posts

Jim...If you cropped that photo please post the entire picture. I'm almost positive that's the backside of the same tractor in post #8. That tractor is equipped with the 16"x 60" rear wheels and what appears to be 6" extensions on it. The front wheels also have the early hubs.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:33:30 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,243 Times in 193 Posts

Hi Mark
Here is the whole picture.

Name:	20-35 Short fender.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	244061
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Anderson For This Post:
Old 01-17-2016, 11:46:22 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,529 Times in 1,123 Posts

Sure looks like the same tractor and the same "event", just a different view. Light colored tank and no lugs in both pictures.

Another early short fender 20-35 appears on page 91 of the TC Photo Archive book pulling an elevating grader which is dumping into a wagon pulled by a 12-20.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:51:49 PM
Subscriber

16" x 60"? Where did that come from?

When I stumbled on this I found it quite interesting. I think you will too. While the 2nd revision of the parts book has its challenges there is some obsolete information that got left in it that is useful.

Picture #1. Part of the original blueprint that detailed the left side rear wheel, differential, transmission, clutch, and belt pulley. I was looking for a reasonably accurate method to determine the original rear wheel width. This print shows the original wheel band #AT42 which at the time of this revision is no longer used. Notice that it is very symmetrical and it is narrower than the pulley diameter.

Picture #2. I hit upon the idea to see if the drawing was still to scale. To do this I took a caliper measurement of the belt pulley. 3.061" The size of the belt pulley is known and that is 21". 21" divided by 3.061" = 6.86" So the scale would be 1" on the drawing = 6.86" on the tractor.

Picture #3. Measured the width of the wheel band. 2.331". This figure x 6.86"= 15.99". So the wheel band width is 16"

Picture #4. Double checking the drawing for possible distortion. Measured from the center of the axle to the face of the wheelband. 4.383". This figure x 6.86" is 30.067' which would be 1/2 the wheel diameter. The wheel diameter is 60" so the drawing is quite accurate.

Note the close proximity of the wheel band to the belt pulley. When the rear wheel width changed to 20" Twin City had to add the extra 4" to the outside of the wheel in the form of a permanent "extension" because there was no room on the inside. Because the hub was no longer centered the outer row of spokes took on that peculiar concave look.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Twin City 20-35 021D.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	244052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Twin City 20-35 022D.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	244053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Twin City 20-35 023D.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	244054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Twin City 20-35 024D.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	244055  

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 01-18-2016 at 10:05:49 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mark Schneider For This Post:
Old 01-20-2016, 05:33:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,123 Times in 1,330 Posts

Nice detective work Mark!
It is good to have confirmation that the early prototype's narrow wheels actually measured 16" wide.
The manuals and blueprints have proven very accurate over the years and is an excellent place to search details.

There are still unlisted parts information that does not seem to show up anywhere.

Here is a few bits I have not found recorded anywhere.
Over the years I have learned that there were four different rear wheel widths used on The big Twin Cam series...16", 20", 24", 28" and the last few 27-44s had leftover rears from the MTM 39-57 on them.
Vast majority use 20" & 28" rear wheels. The 7" extension rims are not seen much.

There were five different heads used on these big TCs.

Mark, I hope you start a thread when you get your 20-35 home because you do good work
Tony
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tony Thompson For This Post:
Old 01-20-2016, 11:30:27 PM
Subscriber

My mind is full of jumbled facts and figures. The "discovery" as it were of 4 confirmed pre-production 20-35 photos in a short period of time was quite interesting to say the least. And right under our noses for the most part!

Some more details concerning the "Photo Archive" threshing picture I found interesting.

1. That is one long feeder being used on that threshing machine...almost as long as the machine itself! The ability to thresh 4 grain stacks without resetting the thresher would seem to be a time saver however trundling that feeder around would have its challenges also. The thresher is a Twin City unit ... the TC logo can just be made out above the baggers head.

2. Who is "the man in black" that is walking toward the camera? Definitely not a bundle pitcher as he is wearing a tie also. I suspect he has something to do with the engineering department at the Minneapolis Steel & Machinery Co....

3. The 2 tone "paint job"on the 20-35 ... ? In a B&W photo galvanized and gray would appear to be the same color. Did the tractor even get painted?

4. My date estimate...no later than than Sept-Oct 1919.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Twin City 20-35 025D.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	244274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Twin City 20-35 025DA.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	244275  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark Schneider For This Post: