Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Rumely Y Questions

this thread has 32 replies and has been viewed 4381 times

Old 08-13-2017, 09:17:41 PM
Subscriber

Default Rumely Y Questions

Ok I've been tinkering away at the Y I bought back from Ray S.

I talked with him and did some things he suggested. He had the head checked and it was good. I tightened the head studs (broke one and made 13 new ones). I get 230ft-lbs nice and tight. No oil in the exhaust I ran it 30 minutes driving around and nearly 45 minutes on the fan nice and warmed up.

I put new oil in the crankcase and marked where my dippers touch and dip about 1/4 of an inch. Ran it and parked again in the same spot after that 60-70 minutes my oil level went up nearly 1/2 inch on my sight glass. I must be leaking cooling oil into the crank case. What kind of seals are around the piston oiler ports? I just don't think it is the head or gasket. Ray put oil rings in it FYI.

Next question I'm working on getting the water side working is there a check valve in the carburetor or just on the water tank? I can't get the plunger to pull water up the check on the tank is clean and works I took the plunger out and it seems clean and functional may have a cracked fitting on the line and I plan to replace it but the pump just doesn't seem to suction even if I do it manually taking the rocker arm out of the picture.

Thanks guys
The Following User Says Thank You to Weld Engineer For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2017, 11:06:38 PM
Registered-II

Thanked 2,111 Times in 164 Posts
Default Re: Rumely Y Questions

More than likely the sleeve deals are bad.You can try to tighten the pipes that go into the sleeves for oiling, but your leak sounds like much more than just a loose pipe. You need to pull the head off, pistons out, and remove the sleeves and install new seals and check for cracks. Sometimes the blocks crack between the sleeves, sometimes the cooling oil pump has a bad shaft along with bad packing and oil can get into crankcase through there. No easy fix for your problem. I have worked on lots of Oil Pulls over the years they all have the same problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Feb 03, 11 11 33 AM.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	288538  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 19-65Port For This Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 11:44:04 PM
Subscriber

I'll start with the simple items but I'd guess you are right about the seals. It's too much oil in a short amount of time. Did Rumely use O- rings? I've never had sleeves out of an oil pull but looks like I may get that experience. Cross my fingers nothing is cracked

Thank you!

---------- Post added at 11:44:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30:56 PM ----------

Found some info in this thread

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showt...Rumely+sleeves
Old 08-14-2017, 12:36:26 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,879 Posts

A few other things to think about. Can you put a little pressure on the cooling system, not enough to damage the cooling sections? Then remove the crankcase cover and see if you can see where the leakage is coming from. I'm inclined to look at the cooling pump first as it is the most likely. Also, have the sleeves been removed in recent times? Another issue with these engines is that crud/ sediment likes to settle out under the sleeves to the point that the lower part of the sleeve doesn't have any circulation around them and causes hot spots on it. How heavy is the oiler set, as it too will cause extra oil to build up in the crankcase, especially if they installed oil control rings. There are 2 check valves in each circuit. One down at the tank, right on top where you can see it and the upper one at the carb is in the top of the plunger in the carb. If the plunger is too loose in the bore it won't work, also if there are any leaks or holes on the suction side it won't work.

Last edited by FWurth; 08-14-2017 at 12:47:45 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 11:52:27 AM
Registered-III

1/2 inch change in oil level in an hour is a lot. Like Frank said, you should be able to pull the cover off the crank case and see where it is coming in. May have to drain and clean the crank case.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gasengin For This Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 08:31:24 PM
Registered-II

Is the lubricator loosing oil? There are check valves on the outside of the lubricator and they could be leaking.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles For This Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 09:37:20 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Is the lubricator loosing oil? There are check valves on the outside of the lubricator and they could be leaking.
I didn't have time to drain the crankcase and the Y isn't at my place. The lubricator didn't go down enough to add up to the increase in the crankcase. I'm positive its cooling oil just have to determine where. I like the pressure idea even if I make a hose fit to the overflow tank and just use gravity I'd think I could see a leak when the oil is warm.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:41:19 AM
Subscriber

I have had excellent results sealing the sleeves from inside the crankcase with silicone sealer. The surfaces have to be void of and oil, grease or crud and is easily done with the camshaft cover removed. Two applications work best and must be allowed to set until hard. I have done this on an "M" a "W" and just recently on a "Z" and have had no problems. The "M" was done 7 years ago and the sealant has not been compromised. I used the black Permatex product.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Iron Dave For This Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 11:08:38 AM
Registered-I

Replacing the old sleeve seals with O rings has worked ell for me. New O rings combined with silicone sealer could be extra insurance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ellis Wellman For This Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 01:26:07 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron Dave View Post
I have had excellent results sealing the sleeves from inside the crankcase with silicone sealer. The surfaces have to be void of and oil, grease or crud and is easily done with the camshaft cover removed. Two applications work best and must be allowed to set until hard. I have done this on an "M" a "W" and just recently on a "Z" and have had no problems. The "M" was done 7 years ago and the sealant has not been compromised. I used the black Permatex product.
So you left the sleeves in place and "caulked" them?