Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Twin City small Tractors. "On a WHIM"

this thread has 242 replies and has been viewed 10903 times

Old 09-02-2018, 02:11:10 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Twin City "small" Tractors. "On a WHIM..."

I figured about as much. But I didn't realize those TSX's were quite that old. Thanks gb!
I should just bite the bullet and pay for another Wheeler.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2018, 10:01:35 PM
Registered-II

Rework that Holley and try it.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:55:54 PM
Subscriber

Hahaha! You devil you! I looked at that goofy mixer/thing and thought to myself after reading some, oh boy... That floppy float and a poor reputation...
I have some re-reaing to do here. Mark's thread, here I come again.
These Holley's on the Twin City's ain't like no Ford model T Holley Vapo-rub carbinator. The secret on those is: No air leaks, no air leaks and more no air leaks.
Other than that set the float close and have fun!
I hand crank a worn out T engine. Or I get a buddy to do it! 3 pulls on a T Truck. Vroom! And they have been much maligned on the model T's.
But I learned that isn't always the case. Hmmm. The Holley's for the Twin City's don't even have a normal fuel adjustment... Hmmm.

---------- Post added at 08:55:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42:40 PM ----------

A 30 year plus work friend stopped over for a bit today. We tell each other "60 years combined GSE (airlines) experience"
Partly he stopped to see the Twins. I asked if I should see if he'll start. He said yeah. 3 pulls and he just picked 'em off so nice. I showed governor action etc after awhile. He liked.
Ooh! The ol' Grey Twin is jealous and starting to show some compressions! There is hope!
He asked IF he could be pulled to roll the engine at a faster pace. I said no. Why? I said the gearing, ya have to belt 'em up. but my pulley situ is lacking right now.
Am I correct?
Old 09-02-2018, 11:15:38 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,715 Times in 696 Posts

The Holley All Fuel carb used on the Twin Cams is an interesting little beast. In a way it's a match for the stock governor assembly...only made to work at wide open throttle. No idle circuit. I spent a fair amount of time meditating on the one I had and got it to work better but not really great. I found a Stromberg of the correct configuration that I was going to try but haven't mounted it yet.

During my heart attack hiatus I gave the bad vibes Holley off the 17-28 some more thought and realized there were several other things to try before giving up on the thing completely. I'm working through some of it again although there is no guarantee that any of my ideas will work.

So get your camera out and lay out the pieces. I can steer you through some of the trouble spots...and also through some of the modifications that I made that ended up to be of no real benefit. Maybe between the two of us we can get a respectable performance out of one of these things.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Schneider For This Post:
Old 09-03-2018, 01:32:51 AM
Subscriber

Hahaha! Oh, darn it, here we go! I thought I would've learned but I still open my big fat mouth! Oof.
Mark, the back of my head says I CAN figure this out. I like the Vaporizer on my T Truck, just because. And it runs good. The technology is some years more advanced on a late T Ford tho. With your help, perhaps we can get it sorted.
The front of my head says it ain't gonna pick 'em off like I like. Would like to try it tho and love the challenges.

On that thought, anyone here have any experience with older Tug 660 belt loaders? I have one in my care for a little bit longer and it's running great but put it in gear and drive it and it pretends it's out of fuel and and sucking air after a hundred yards or so. Park it and run the belt and it's great again. 300 Ford six and a C-6. Oh wait, similar to a car or a pickup. How's that for varied perspectives?

My "friends" also reminded me yesterday that I talk in another language and asked/told me to speak English. I don't know how.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:14:28 PM
Subscriber

Been putzing outside and in today with the mags and just got rained in.
Worked on the magneto end cap and interrupter housing today.
The housing hangs up on the Rusty Twin and I need to figure out why.
I had readjusted the timing rod from the bell-crank down to the mag last week. I realigned the rod at the timing arm hole so they’d get along better.
I took an old file (could’ve used a sharp newer file as that plating and brass is hard) and took the sharp spots down on the interrupter housing, tore after it with some worn sandpaper and then cleaned it up.
Right or wrong, I also put a drop of 3 in 1 oil on the interrupter cams on the 4 wicks, let them soak it up and wiped down the excess. The upper cam slowly sucked up nearly a whole drop of 3 in 1 oil when I went into town for a short.
If the housing still hangs up, I’ll wipe just a thin layer of Kendall grease on the 5/16“ or so mating surfaces to see if that helps. An added issue is the clamp arm is just loose on the interrupter housing and gets kicked over towards the front of the engine when I use the timing lever on the operators platform. Thinking of adding a few drops of CA (super glue) to hold the arm tightly on the housing.
1 & 2. I’m still thinking about spraying a Q-tip down with silicone lube and applying it to the new “gasket” on the housing cap. I don’t like it when they clock under the holding spring arm. This cap needed a paper shim to get it away from the grounding nub in the bottom of the housing as it was rubbing and holding the cap open a bit... I used the backing cardboard from a note pad. It's almost correct now. My scissor prowess leaves something to be desired...
3. I also made a very rudimentary grounding “spring” to try the grounding part of the cap.
4. One of the pics shows one of the caps “clocked” under the holding post and spring. Grrr. They’re only 90 years old. They shouldn’t be doing that yet!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180903_135630.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	317834   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180903_144314.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	317835   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180903_164400.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	317836   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010162.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	317837  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Duey C For This Post:
Old 09-03-2018, 10:57:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,715 Times in 696 Posts

On your Ford 300 six...take a vacuum reading. If low check the intake manifold runners for a vacuum leak where they clamp on the head. For whatever reason a double thickness gasket is used on this engine to seal these runners (intakes only). Sometimes the manifold clamp bolts loosen over time and a chunk of the double gasket will fall out. Seen it numerous times when I did UPS fleet service back when they ran carbureted engines.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Schneider For This Post:
Old 09-04-2018, 09:18:03 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,123 Times in 1,330 Posts

For future generations working on Holley fuel mixers,...

This subject keeps popping up so I though I would share what I think I learned (my opinion) about these crude early air/fuel intake devices.
I got one to work real well for what it was intended to do. Back in the day folks did not "goof around" with these old part time hobby machines, they needed and depended on them for hours of steady higher rpm work.

If you have a Holley in good condition, you can warm an engine, belt it up or put plow to ground and find the "happy spot" with the extended operator "tuning rod" (Rich/lean rotating fuel sleeve). You would then make long passes with the plow or perform belt work for several hours at governed wide open throttle.
This was done in the 20s & 30s with preheated kerosene or heavy tractor distillate.
Today, there is certainly no need to heat gasoline and we expect to achieve easy multiple engine start ups and our choice of low steady engine idle for brief periods of parade and public viewing. Not at all what a Holley was designed to do.
Sounds simple, but it took me a long time to see the obvious!
A nice old brass carburetor with an idle circuit is better suited (easier) to most of our modern hobby activity.
Smokstak is an amazing venue of the very best people who freely share their experiences to enhance and preserve this great hobby!
Thank You!
Tony
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tony Thompson For This Post:
Old 09-04-2018, 07:50:53 PM
Subscriber

Very well said Tony, the tractor were never thought of as toys when new as they are today . Jim
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Ware For This Post:
Old 09-04-2018, 09:25:56 PM
Registered-II

Agree! The marvel was never meant to be permanent to the rusty twin rather a get it going with out major issues for a show whim. And it did it's duties well. Never in the time of my custody did I find any decent reasonably priced brass to put on. Or I would have in a heartbeat. I wasn't up to the Holley challenge nor had the time. And 90% of your spectators know what right or wrong. Seen so many 17-28 with Holley, tillitson, schebler, Carter, and Robin's wedged on. Guess what ever worked or hardware stores carried then or when!

---------- Post added at 08:25:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23:58 PM ----------

Oops. Meant most spectators don't know what is right or wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajs2744TC For This Post: