Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Irving's Tractor Lug Co in Mid 20th Century

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 611 times

Old 12-24-2018, 02:37:03 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,613 Times in 2,159 Posts
Default Irving's Tractor Lug Co in Mid 20th Century

Irvin's in Galesburg Illinois was said to be the oldest salvage yard in Illinois.
It was their headquarters. When I was young in the '50s it was called Galesburg Tractor lug. We bought tractor, car and machinery parts there. After I got my 16-30 H Oilpull in 1967, I went there to look around. It had a new owner who was scrapping the old tractor parts as fast as he could. He told me about how much he got for Chevrolet V-8 Head gaskets etc while nobody was buying old tractor parts. Those piles of parts from all kinds of early tractors were immense! I found the Oilpull Parts not yet stacked. I got what I needed and made a deal with him and Dave Shearns of Marion NY wherein I photographed the Oilpull parts to Dave and Dave would buy and I would get 10%. Dave came down with his 1949 Ford straight truck and bought 7500 pounds of Oilpull parts. A 20-40 G radiator was left because he wanted the good iron price for it, too. I got the radiator later because it was not worth putting it on the iron pile. I bought cast iron covers for an early JD D engine & trans for $5. I had previously found a pair of 20-40 G master gears and a pair of new IHC 10-20 main ball bearings for Ron Miller. The new ball bearings were $10 each. The yard had the old JD GP tricycle tractor which Dad had gladly let go years earlier in favor of a 1927 Farmall. I didn't even consider buying the JD GP. I continued to forage for parts there for a few years, reselling valves, piston rings, valve guides, manuals and gaskets etc. I got quite a few magnetos for $5 each and many were already on an iron pile. The new copper Victor gaskets were neatly on rough sawed board shelves all numbered with the Victor numbers reversed. There were new JD GP & D pistons on shelves. There were wood crates with hundreds of valve guides and valves of a kind and new radiator cores like for 18-36 Hart Parrs. I bought a pair of IHC F-20 rear steel wheels with lugs for $20 plus $10 delivery to the farm to use clearing an Osage orange hedge row. I didn't have a truck yet or suitable storage shed space for much and I was doing electric motor engineering in Rockford and raising my family 150 miles away. Mother was still living on the farm, but still my available time did not allow me to save what I would have liked to save.
A local guy bought quite a lot to resell. He was a tractor collector who eventually started a tool rental business in Galesburg.

---------- Post added at 02:37:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31:16 AM ----------

This information plus a picture is under Steam posts 109 to 114 on this link:
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showt...=99715&page=12
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Oilpulled For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2018, 06:43:34 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Irving's Tractor Lug Co in Mid 20th Century

Thanks Ed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181222-132502_Facebook.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	325106  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ihredo4 For This Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 10:48:40 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,348 Times in 783 Posts
Default Re: Irving's Tractor Lug Co in Mid 20th Century

I used to have some ervings catalogues , not sure anymore, they were from the late thirties, I think.
Had a similar experience with a place in Wichita years ago, for the life of me I cant remember the name now. I bought every McCormick- Deering manual from them that 20 dollars would buy at the time, that was almost all the money I had, still have those manuals. Bought a very nice pair of 22-36 side curtains for my first tractor, probably 1984, I think they were 30 dollars! At that time all the parts tractors were going right across the street to the scrap yard, I remember some large Allis front steel still laying there.
GOODMANS, that's was it, it takes me some time.
They had some old steel out in front, they were moving all that to another location.
Also locally here we had a man named Art Satler that had a lot of obsolete salvage from dealerships and such, I bought a pto for a 10-20 IH there. We used to call it "Arts parts" or "Arts speed shop."
Bought boxes of F-20 head gaskets there, many other items, sleeves and pistons for W-30's.