Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Big Gaar Scott spotted

this thread has 92 replies and has been viewed 14620 times

Old 08-25-2008, 04:01:10 PM
Dan Dyman

Default Re: Big Gaar Scott spotted

Congratulations Jerred on your new toy, that's some super engine, I will be going to Forest city to have a gander at the beast,
well done and keep us updated regularly with photos and such
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2008, 05:37:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,273 Times in 580 Posts

Jerred,
Congratulations, very neat engine! What kind of work is it going to need? Looks like it takes 2 operators for sure with the steering wheel that far up away from the controls.
Good luck, Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Kunz For This Post:
Old 08-25-2008, 05:54:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,793 Times in 193 Posts

If you guys are quick, and want to see the engine, check out the live video link at http://www.heritageparkofnorthiowa.com/

There is a username and password that is just below the link on the web site that you will need to enter...

Fight "Global Warming" Get rid of the heat source....the SUN
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Barr For This Post:
Old 08-25-2008, 06:56:05 PM
Bill Thurman

It could not of gone to better folks, The Rubles are first class all the way, Nice to see some other folks land a "big" fish once in awhile, Forrest City is also a Class Act with some of the friendliest folks around ! Bill T
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Post:
Old 08-25-2008, 06:57:11 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,290 Times in 733 Posts

I watched for a couple minutes a guy walked over form the shed to it, then a guy came on a golf cart. then i could see a guy looking under the engine behind the 40, not sure what he was doing, not sure where the golf cart went either
Old 08-25-2008, 08:00:08 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,352 Times in 2,357 Posts

Jerred,
Congrats on landing the big one! I want to be there to see the old girl under steam soon after the first fires are lit!
Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike McKnight For This Post:
Old 08-26-2008, 07:27:27 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,965 Times in 600 Posts

All, I got one of the best phone calls last night...Daniel Wyman, Lee Wyman's grandson who was assisting Nicholas in running his Case while plowing down at LeSueur this past weekend called me last night. He and his grandmother and grandfather had just gotten back from Forrest City after looking at the big 40hp DTC GaarScott. I was impressed that this young fellow thought enough of me to give me a call and tell me what he saw and experienced walking around the girthy ol' gal. Listening to him unfold his details to me sure brightened my day. I had him on speaker phone so that Nicholas could listen in. Thanks Daniel for the call...I believe his dad, Chris, surfs this site from time to time.

We, Nicholas, Eric, and myself are planning a trip down tomorrow. My wife thinks I'm nuts for driving down just to look at an engine, but I told her it is a lot closer to me now then when it was in Montana and I've wanted to see it first hand for many many years now. As Colin pointed out by what he viewed off of their webcam, I'm sure over the course of the next few weeks Forrest City will see a small boom of folks coming just to view the monster engine...and we'll be a part of that boom.

Once again, congradulations Jerred on your latest purchase.

Lawrence
The Following User Says Thank You to GaarScott For This Post:
Old 08-26-2008, 08:43:29 AM
Email Over Quota

Thanked 3,210 Times in 1,002 Posts

Hi Jerred,
Congratulation on your another toy. I am sure the big girl do bring back the memory. See you some time at show.

Craig D.
The Following User Says Thank You to greysteam24hp For This Post:
Old 08-26-2008, 10:50:34 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,290 Times in 733 Posts

Is there any hope in fixing this boiler? or finding a replacement or building new? have heard a few comments but not sure exactly what it needs to fix. a 25hp Broderick boiler would likely fit, couldn't be any tougher to switch than the one we did in SD.
Have fun restoring Jerred, you and a small army better get going yesterday if you want it ready for next years show. quarantte theres a LOT of motor on that to fix/ go through, as well as drive train. know all about it
The Following User Says Thank You to Colin For This Post:
Old 08-26-2008, 11:30:18 AM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,430 Times in 79 Posts

I posted a few pictures of The Trip from Moore, MT to Forest City,IA on Heritage Park's Web Site,

Enjoy,

Jerred