Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

What about your trailer?

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 2456 times

Old 02-18-2002, 01:52:19 PM
Tim Claremont

Default What about your trailer?

I just picked up an 18 foot flatbed to haul around my engine hobby. It is dual axle, with brakes and 2 x 6 lumber deck.

My question is, what things should I be thinking about for this trailer so that I can use it for everything? In other words, I want to be able to remove the engines at will and allow myself to transport a car from time to time, etc.

What is the best type of fastening system for the old iron? Keep in mind that all of the engines are on carts. What about those hooks that mount to the floor? What kind of straps work best for tieing stuff down?

What have you purchased or done to your trailer that you regret doing now?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2002, 02:05:42 PM
Laura

Default Re: What about your trailer?

Congrats! sounds like a nice trailer! First thing I would consider is a good winch. It's saved us many times! And make sure you have a spare tire.

For tying down - I don't know if yours has those vertical boxes (like a stake bed) randomly - if it does, I would weld a strap all the way around so you can tie down from anywhere. We also nail 2x4's to the deck around engine to keep from shifting.

Also get yourself some good heavy duty ratchet straps. Menards has some good 2" ones for $20.00 ea. Sams club has them for $12. Don't get cheap ones (that's one thing we regret when one broke and the 4 wheeler fell off in the freeway).

The only other thing we regret, is we didn't get one long enough!
Old 02-18-2002, 03:39:55 PM
Bill Pitts (OH)

Having been trying to do what you seek for the last 5 years I would recommend buying a second trailer as I intend to. Everytime you load/unload the engines you risk damage and injury. I have just two more than what will fit on my 18ft. trailer and have risked my and my neighbor's back, fingers, and toes several times each year with a few close calls and a lot of sore muscles. Trailers are pretty cheap now days, a 16ft. car hauler with brakes would serve as a good back up I think. I do have a winch as someone else also recommended and could not load the big engines without it. The cost of one injury or accident could about pay for a trailer...
Old 02-18-2002, 04:10:34 PM
Allen

For smaller stuff, you might want to consider making recessed anchor points on the centerline, or a 1/3 across.

Easiest way was to do it was before the deck was installed, But you can retrofit them.

My dad made his from a bit of schedule 80 pipe, a bit of chain and 2 pieces of plate (or about 5/16 slices of 2" round). They are slick because when you don't need them they are flush with the deck and out of the way They also tend to drain, so that they don't usually freeze.

The pipe needs to be 6-8" long (depending on location) the chain about 4-6" longer than the pipe. Thread the chain through the pipe then weld one plate to each end of the chain. (weld a link in the center of each round (or square) so that they will pull up (or down) flush. Cut your hole in the deck positioned so that you can weld the pipe to a steel crosspiece. and use a forstner bit to resess the plate flush. When you need use the anchor point just pull up on the plate, and attach your hook to the chain....For super heavy use (if you intend to haul oil field engines), make them from heavier materials, and make them long enough to be welded down to the main frame channels rather than just to the deck crosspieces.
Old 02-18-2002, 06:43:09 PM
Franz

Major thing to remember about Nylon straps, stop a few miles down the road and retighten them, also check and retighten them every time you stop for gas, coffy, whatever, they do stretch and loosen. I always try to position mine so I can see the tighteners in the mirror. Retightening a strap can save a lot of problems.
Old 02-18-2002, 07:12:59 PM
MARK

GO AHEAD AND BUY ANOTHER TRAILER WHEN YOU CAN. MINE IS 102" WIDE,18 FT LONG. I HAVE PUT EXTRA CROSS MEMBERS IN UNDER NEATH. REMOVE ENGINE FROM CART DRILL DOWN THROUGH BASE HOLES AND BOLT TO FLOOR.; THIS WAY YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TIE DOWN AND YOU ARE ALWAYS READY TO GO.PAID $800.00
Old 02-18-2002, 07:32:16 PM
Ed Kinch

Hi Tim,

I tried doing what you are thinking and soon bolted the engines down permanently.I go to a show almost every weekend so the loading and unloading was impractical.

Ed Kinch
Old 02-18-2002, 09:19:45 PM
Dave N

Tim I know this may sound like commonsence,but you will want to get some blocks for the tires of your truck and trailer when your loading heavy things.The owner of the company i work for had a close call this last summer when his Kubota tractor lifted the back of the truck when he was loading it on his trailer.This was a 1 ton dump truck,so it was not a small truck.It began rolling down a hill,broke the trailer hitch off as the truck went on its side in a ditch.It bent the frame of the truck as well as smashing the front quarter.Oops Dave
Old 02-18-2002, 10:07:15 PM
Kevin Leibensperger

When you are loading heavy, you may want to weld a steel box,3 by 3 inch,to the back sides of the trailer, and use a smaller steel leg to go inside the 3 inch to adjust up and down with a pin,to keep the weight from transfering to the truck. Just remember to raise before heading out.
Old 02-18-2002, 10:29:02 PM
Jim Tremble

Tim and others,

Want a universital trailer ?????? My buddy in Vancouver, Wa. builds these. 16 ft' long, tilt bed--twin 12,000 lb. axels, 12 ply tires, electric brakes, 9,000 lb. Warren electric winch, (battery and controls included), dumptruck type tail gate, (adjustable spreader) (removable) stake or flat bed, (your choice) , boom on top for lifting ???????? (normaly used for tilting the trailor) He can change this as needed)

Price----$5000.00

On your own tralier, you can put the cut-in hold downs. Deck mounts that are flush when you are not using them. About $10.00 eack and worth it. If anyone is interested in the trailer John makes, let me know and I will have him send info on them. I have one and use it about 3 times a week. Well worth the money.

Jim
Old 02-18-2002, 10:42:25 PM
Dan Burkart

Tim, Follow the link to my photo album. In my album it shows how we customized our trailer. Some people might think this is over kill but it works very well for us. The engines are secured very well and do not move. I often joke with my dad that the whole trailer can flip over and the eingines wouldn't move a inch. Just flip though the pictures and read each of the captions, and you should have a good understanding of what we did. If you or anyone has any specific question fill free to e-mail me. Also we have wench on the front of the trailer to load and unload the engine. Enjoy aren't digital cameras GREAT!!!!!!!!

Dan Burkart

Our CORN PRO Trailer
Old 02-18-2002, 10:58:45 PM
Carl Mehr

Get some good loading ramps that can be secured to the trailor. The ramps that came with my car hauler are fine for tractors, but much to heavy to be practiable with engines. The front part on the frame from a of mobil home which is cut of can be obtained for free and is about 10 wide channel that handles engines in excess of a ton with no problems. You will have to do some Victor Smoke wrench work, but they make excellant ramps that are light and easy to handle. Good lck..Carl
Old 02-19-2002, 12:02:14 AM
Dale Russell (KS)

Tim, Above all be sure you buy a trailer with BRAKES. Old Iron weight adds up faster than you think. You eventually will want to take more and more. Just added Saftey. Dale
Old 02-19-2002, 12:05:07 AM
Tim Christoff

I have done things similar to what the others have said. At first I bought a 16' and loaded it down for a show then I would unload it after so I could use it for other things. After a while I decided to buy a 12' and keep it for engines only. I went with a smaller size to keep me from taking so much stuff to shows. I have put a big box on the from that sits on the tongue and two boxes on the sides that I keep canopy supplies in. All the engines are bolted down so there is no straping needed. This has worked well for me for the past three years. At the end of the season I just unload and store the trailer.

If I decide at the last min. to go to a show, everything is ready to go, all I have to do is hook up and leave.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:35:32 AM
Alan James

Tim: I tried the ratchet straps for awhile but got tired of having to check them , finally welded some substantial anchor points and went to chain binders it really works good, also put some stake bed posts at the rear of the trailer and made some ramps out of angle iron and solid plate, added posts to the ramps, that way when I am done with them they fit on the side of the trailer, and they dont go bouncing around. Al
Old 02-19-2002, 02:36:20 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,923 Times in 1,740 Posts

I had this 16' trailer custom made a few years back with a top rail added as well as 1/2 x 4 flat plate welded on around the bottom with stake pockets for hooking on to. With a plate mounted up front on the tongue for the winch, and a spare tire on the right front. I had to talk the builder into adding the spare . At the rear, I had two 18" wide ramps made of diamond plate that could slide sideways to adjust for cart or skidded engine width. These ramps have built in trailer supports for the rear when down, and when up can be used for seats(wood covered) at a show. Of course the trailer has 4 wheel brakes. I loaded these engines by just sliding them up the ramp . They slide easily. The vertical engine got loaded with the help of my little old 3,000#'er LP-Pettibone fork lift I got last year for $600.

Just trying to have "SAFE" fun , even in NJ .

Paul

Old 02-19-2002, 09:51:48 AM
Ken Fall

I too finally got a dedicated trailer for my engines. Some are bolted directly to the bed. The ones that had a cart that I wanted to keep with the engine for display I used 4 u-bolts one over each wheel.Bolted them through the bed and then through some flat steel to stop them from pulling through the bed. To cover the trailer and engines when not in use I made a tent frame to mount on the trailer. To make the corner brackets I used 1/2" re-rod it slips into 1/2" conduit. Slip a good tarp on it keeps everything dry. Everything comes off in few and you are ready to go to the show. Have fun Ken.
Old 02-19-2002, 10:25:57 AM
Bruce Lawson

I see lots of good advice above. I have always built my own trailers and some for others, but not everyone can do that. Factory built always seem to be too light and flimsey for the job, so I build 'em at least twice as strong as needed. And no, I'm not selling any.

After 40 years in the heavy freight trucking industry, I have noticed that some guys think that if something is real heavy to move around, that it can't move when riding down the road. Wrong!

Be sure everything is anchored down good, preferrable with chains. And even they can loosen up, so check them whenever you can.
Old 02-19-2002, 10:27:09 AM
Jim Ison

I built my own trailer,all alumimum,20 foot long,1200 lbs,I have had a Int. Travelall on her,no problem,2 braked axles,2 5/16 bulldog tongue,axles are 3500 # ea. with brake away, (required by law for trailers over 2000 lbs) One good idea is to put a receiver on the back of the trailer,then use the square tube, to make a hoist,with a come a long,that swings. You can use it,pull the pin,store it ect.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:00:43 AM
Benny Mckheean N.C.

I also have my engines bolted to the bed of the trailer along with a Maytag washing machine,Apple Cider Mill,Corn Sheller plus all tools,extra water,hand cleaner,oil and anything else needed at a show.It sure is nice just to hook up and go without loading.I also have purchased grill covers the kind with the pull string in the bottom that you can tighten when you put on the engine.You can buy them at Home Depot in different sizes.The trailer is full but at least the truck is empty for another engine. Benny