Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

DIY Waterjet Cutter

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 1768 times

Old 05-31-2017, 08:14:05 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,074 Times in 1,516 Posts
Default DIY Waterjet Cutter

Saw this and thought some of you might get some ideas on building one, I know it would be a nice addition to my shop. This guy is doing sheet metal pretty easily with a cheap pressure washer, I'm thinking a bit more pump and 1/4" to 3/8" is not out of the question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg__B6Ca3jc
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2017, 09:25:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,846 Times in 1,214 Posts
Default Re: DIY Waterjet Cutter

Funny, I watched that as well just last night. Should you wish to try it stop by on your way to McGill and I'll give you a genuine CAT high pressure pump (300 series).
Doc

Last edited by Thaumaturge; 05-31-2017 at 09:31:19 PM. Reason: Dislexia
Old 05-31-2017, 09:25:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,078 Times in 1,751 Posts

Smart articulate guy and an excellent build.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:37:06 PM
Registered-I

Could slice bread or aluminum or sheet metal or fingers. You are smart to think of these ways of making money and wise enough to play it safe. I admire that.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:09:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,292 Times in 875 Posts

YouTube must suggest similar things for you. I just watched that last night too!

Keith
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 05-31-2017, 11:35:58 PM
Registered-III

The foam was cool. Wood, I have a band saw. The aluminum, I can cut about as fast with a hack saw. Bread, who needs soggy bread?

Did not get past that so have no idea if he cut steal with it.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:25:27 AM
Registered-II

The basic waterjet is just a pretty standard 3 axis gantry with the water process components attached.

All the magic happens in the high pressure intensifier and in the cutting head- where the high pressure stream is focused, mixed with abrasive, and directed onto the workplace.

I would not want to get my fingers that close to it though. The waterjet cutter where I work, 30 HP 55000 PSI, is capable of launching gritty water upwards of 30 feet. At 3 feet away, it stings like a windstorm at the beach from the garnet being thrown out of the spray. I've never dared to get closer while running, but a piece of 3/4" thick UHMW plastic mounted a few inches away from the cutting action as a blast deflector gets chewed through in a couple of weeks of regular cutting.

There are two ways to achieve the high pressure required:

A direct acting cam and plunger pump much like what a pressure washer itself uses and found in the smaller waterjets for its relative simplicity.

A hydraulic intensifier system, which is what the machine I run uses. A hydraulic cylinder cycles back and forth at 3000 PSI, driving a smaller diameter plunger that pumps water from an intermediate 150 PSI booster pump up to the cutting head at 55,000 PSI. It works based on the diameter ratio of the hydraulic piston to the water piston, amplifying the force at the cost of flow. Ultimately the 30HP pump only moves 1-2 gallons per minute, but you don't need that much flow anyway at these pressures.

The high pressure water is then focused through a diamond orifice, 0.011" for a 30HP machine, giving you your cutting stream. The focused stream is then directed through a carbide venturi where particles of gemstone dust- garnet in this case, are sucked in. With the abrasive in the system it becomes possible to cut literally anything, and it is just a question of how long does it take to do. I have in the past cut inch thick silicon carbide with it for example, though it was extremely slow because of how abrasion resistant silicon carbide is.

Once you get this unstoppable cutting stream though, and have it positioned above a tank full of water to catch it and stop it so it doesn't cut things you didn't want cut, then its just a matter of computer software to position the gantry and perform the acceleration and corner calculations.

A waterjet in operation behaves like a wire-thin endmill. It deflects as the cutting head moves, to where the point at which the water exits the plate being cut lags significantly behind the point at which the water enters. Computer models are used to calculate the rate at which the material is abraded, and determine the correct feedrates and accelerations to produce square corners and curves that don't have excessive taper as a result of the jet being flung to the outside around the bend.

Its a really interesting process, and someone with sufficient time and effort could indeed make a DIY version. I might someday attempt it, but at the moment I don't need to: My boss lets me use his machine after hours as long as I am only making little stuff so as to keep the consumable costs down. The gasket set for my hit & miss was cut on it, and it is really handy for making brackets and quick fixes.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Odin For This Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 07:40:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,074 Times in 1,516 Posts

Akuna
I agree the cutting bread part was a bit dumb, but the rest of the vid had some decent info. Watching some other waterjet vids last night there was mention of "food grade" waterjet machines being made/used, not sure what they are using it on. No, he never got to cutting steel.

Anyone know what the minimum pressure/flow rate for cutting steel would be? Considering the success he had with a cheapo pressure washer, I'm thinking a decent Triplex pump could do more, but not sure how much more pressure could be gotten out of one of them, safely.

Odin
I familiar with pressure intensifiers for gas, had never considered they were used for liquids too, but it makes sense that it would work on same principles.

Doc
I've got pumps and motors, what I'm really lacking in is time! Oh yeah, and the XYZ table, but those are into the DIY category too.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:59:53 PM
Subscriber

Dal, consider using a little pressure washer ~ 6-800 psi. Run that output into a strong cast iron gear pump and you'll have unlimited pressure. Relief valves definitely required!
Old 06-01-2017, 11:22:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,292 Times in 875 Posts

A couple friends of mine had the frames for their diesel hydraulic locomotives cut out on a Mitsubishi demonstrator unit, that was powered by a 60 hp motor. The frames were cut out of a two inch thick slab, but they had other parts cut that were four inch thick, I believe. I want to say that it could cut up to six or eight inch thick steel.

IIRC it ran at 60 kpsi. It used the hydraulic powered linear piston pump mentioned above, and had an accumulator on the high pressure side, which was enclosed in a thick steel blast shield, in case it failed.

They were not entirely impressed with the accuracy, and the Mitsubishi machine was discontinued, so they are having the frames for their current project flame cut and ground.

Keith
Old 06-02-2017, 04:40:29 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by I like oldstuff View Post
Dal, consider using a little pressure washer ~ 6-800 psi. Run that output into a strong cast iron gear pump and you'll have unlimited pressure. Relief valves definitely required!
Uh, no. The only pump that makes use of incoming pressure is the centrifugal pump. Positive pressure pumps cannot take advantage of incoming pressure. Ask a fire fighter engineer.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:00:25 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,846 Times in 1,214 Posts

Not so... the Cat high pressure pumps use staged pistons.
Doc
Old 06-02-2017, 08:53:47 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdmidget View Post
Uh, no. The only pump that makes use of incoming pressure is the centrifugal pump. Positive pressure pumps cannot take advantage of incoming pressure. Ask a fire fighter engineer.
I think it would depend on the geometries of the pump and what mechanism drives it.

A simple plunger pump will not pass on forward pressure, although said pressure will help it on the return stroke by making sure the check valves seal properly.

A balanced-pressure plunger pump, with water on both sides of the piston, will benefit from upstream pressure. The water behind the piston provides force to expel water as well as the pump rod pushing it along, and this can be achieved in both directions.

Gear type pumps probably can be constructed in a way that lets them boost pressure in stages, again by balancing the design so that the incoming pressure helps drive the output.

Which makes me wonder what kind of pump the fire department was using that couldn't boost pressure in this way. Probably a pump designed to operate with its intake at a vaccum lifting water from a pond into a truck.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:58:20 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdmidget View Post
Good point. But an increase in input pressure even to a gear pump will help somewhat. Yeah technically a gear pump has losses from internal leaks therefore can't be considered positive displacement. +1 on the centrifugals benefiting from multiple stages such as a submersible well pump.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:08:27 PM
Registered-III

All I know about pumps on fire fighting equipment is you do not want to pull a vacuum when connected to a hydrant.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:25:57 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,329 Posts

That is to prevent damage to connected customer equipment.

Nearby municipalities do not have city water. Every residence has it's own well. When there is a fire, they come with a tanker truck, and then lay hoses to nearest pond or source of water. Often hundreds of feet away. I have seen inlet pressure gauges showing substantial vacuum.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:23:42 AM
Registered

Hi All

noob user questions on there way

watched the video and read the posts, and have been looking at a lot of waterjet sites and found that there is a lot our there for the pros, but not a lot for the low budget hobbyist

thinking

Pump

Will this have enough pressure/flow to be of any use?

Mach3 USB 3 Axis CNC Motion Control Card

Has anyone used Mach3 to control a waterjet?

if the pump is up to the task what nozzle (mixer?) would suit?

this is for "desktop" hobby use, so speed is less important than cheap

more questions to follow I am sure