Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Wilton vise..booooo

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 1128 times

Old 07-08-2017, 05:49:24 PM
Subscriber

Default Wilton vise..booooo

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Wilton vise which use to be top of the line USA made vise is junk. I am not sure at what price they are still made in the USA but the one I just purchased is made in China. I guess I shouldn't complain yet because I haven' t used I yet. The design is poor to start off with. Anyone who knows how to mount and set up a vise should know that when mounting a vise you have to make sure the stationary jaw is past the edge of you bench. Very hard to do with the Wilton 11106 6" because the mounting ears are just about even w/ the jaws.
Ive mounted mine on the end/corner of my bench so I can turn it and get 2 different choices of the bench
Its funny how so many people don't know how to mount a vise and post it on youtube or just visit many shops.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2017, 06:32:14 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Wilton vise..booooo

I guess I have always had cheep vises. Never have had one the hung over the bench at both angles.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:43:35 PM
Registered-I

Yup, the 11106 is a cheap Chinese import. Sometimes that's the right tool for the job.
But if you need a really good vise, Wilton still makes them; you just have to pony up more $$$ for them. Not fair to boooo Wilton for offering different quality/price options.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlieB For This Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 07:08:46 PM
Subscriber

I have a couple of the Wilton "bullet" vises and a Rock Island 574 I got used in the 1970's. There are so many good vises out there used I'd never contemplate purchasing a chinese produced unit. I seen a friend actually break a 4" Harbor Freight special knocking the end caps out of a driveshaft after torching the cross out. You could see blow holes in the iron casting but I suppose for $39.00 american, shipped all the way from china, you get what you pay for.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:27:19 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieB View Post
Yup, the 11106 is a cheap Chinese import. Sometimes that's the right tool for the job.
But if you need a really good vise, Wilton still makes them; you just have to pony up more $$$ for them. Not fair to boooo Wilton for offering different quality/price options.
Sure we can. If they want to sell junk, let them ruin their name if they want. A smart person would have sold the cheep vice under the Walton name or something.

Sears did the same thing back 20 or more years ago and made a poor name for themselves for tools. They sold Craftsman tools that were good and had a life time warranty, and they sold Sears tools that were not as good and had a tail light warranty. People think they were the same bought the cheaper tools and were not happy.

Lots of companies have dome it and lost customers. The old Sony walkman was a good example. They made good walkmans, and crummy walkmans. You could not tell them apart because they were all walkmans. Can you even buy a sony MP3 player today? Burnt bridges are hard to cross.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:12:39 PM
Registered-II

People are quick to say, "You bought a cheap piece of crap what did you expect" and that is somewhat understandable,but I say, if you buy a 4" vise, for whatever price, the one you buy should function as a 4" vise. Maybe not as smoothly as a better one, maybe does not have quite all the features, and maybe it does not last as long as a top quality one, but no one goes out and buys a 4" vise to look at or to set by their bedside to drop out of a second floor window onto the head of someone breaking into their house. To sell a product that is so cheaply made, so inferior, that it can't perform even most basic functions for a reasonable time period is cheating the customer, or so I say.

In the case of this vise the OP says he has not used the vise yet but already does not like it, because it is Chinese and/or because it lacks certain design elements he finds desirable. I'm not ready to condemn the vise for these reasons. If he found the ability to mount the vise in a particular way a key element, he should have checked the mounting data for that vise before buying. I'm more sympathetic to the whole China thing though. If I bought a product from a well known American brand name, probably paying somewhat of a premium for it, and got a lesser Chinese product, I think I'd be at least a bit disappointed, too. I'm not sure what a good solution to this is, but in my case I try to buy used whenever possible. If I have a one-time use for a tool or something, or want a throwaway, I will go to HF and get the cheapest of the cheap but I am doing it with my mind made up and my eyes open. i know, that's not a great solution, but it's all I can do. In some areas, though, I take no prisoners. I have taken to checking the labels on food and if it comes from the far east I put it back on the shelf, with only one or two exceptions I can think of, jasmine rice from Thailand and maybe some condiments such as soy sauce. I've used these products for decades and have been satisfied. I'm sure their are more good Asian products on the market, but how can one tell? Better safe than sorry.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:21:21 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,733 Times in 1,270 Posts

I think my Wilton is us made but I aint positive.
It works good for a 6 inch wide jaw vise as i really expect alot of a vise.
I pickup the 4 inch 1's at fleamarkets and such when i spot us made units cheap.
The big craftsman I have is a Japan made 1.

It should be safe to assume the Chinese are capable of making good tools. hell,if they had to work with most of the sh--,er stuff they send over here, they would never get anything done!

Or, there is a secret black market for antique American made tools over there?
Old 07-08-2017, 10:46:55 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,518 Posts

I bought a couple of chinese vises almost 30 years ago, the multi swivel type, still using one today. Considering the price, and how long they lasted, I think I did ok. The flip side of that story is the one no longer in use damn near crushed my foot when it snapped off the table about 10 years ago. They still make that style, but they've gotten way chintzyer.

These days one of my vices is vises, anytime I find a big old USA vise I drag it home and put it in the to-do pile. Gave away, and sold a few of them this past year, and have a few Wilton bullet vises stashed away just for me

Oh yeah, I get most from the scrap yard, its pretty funny, the people dropping them off always say its broken, but the reality is they left it in the rain and its just rusted stuck.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:51:09 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,392 Times in 469 Posts

A new 6" USA made Wilton bullet vise is about $800.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:32:28 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoogie View Post
A new 6" USA made Wilton bullet vise is about $800.
You can buy a new amazonian tradesman vice for 529. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004XPVI?tag=wmtogr-20
Old 07-09-2017, 05:20:39 PM
Registered-III

I bought one of these Wilton vises a couple years ago. I think I paid $150 for it. I knew Wilton made quality vises but I was not at all surprised to see made in china at that price. I think as far as cheap vises go this is one of the best. Did you really think for what you paid you were getting anything else???? The american consumer wants name brand at a cheap price. The only way for a company to compete is outsourcing to China. I have noticed in the last 10 years products made in china are getting better. Remember they are just going through there industrial revolution and products should continue to improve. I would bet that even on Wiltons "american made" vises most parts are made elsewhere and shipped in to be "assembled in america".
The Following User Says Thank You to turbo For This Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 06:12:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,508 Times in 916 Posts

I picked up an expensive Rigid vise that was frozen up. My son has it now, and gosh at the abuse we've put it thru.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:59:12 PM
Registered-III

So why should a few chunks of machined cast Iron cost so much?

It is not like a 4 cylinder head with 8 valves and passages for cooling, intake, and exhaust.

A cast iron made in America brake drum costs much less, has as much machining as half a vice, and has much more liability or lawyer cost attached to it then a vice. Or a cast iron disc brake caliper has as much machining and cost much less with the same lawyer tax on it.

I think their costs are way to high, or the price just not realistic.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:34:46 PM
Subscriber

My biggest complain is not the Chinese workmanship, it is the design of the vise all together. Like stated in my first post is that the mounting ears/base circle is just about vertical if not past the fixed jaw to clear the workbench top. Piss poor engineering. I never imagined that there would ever be an issue of this that is why I never researched the blue prints of this vise. I have a few other makes, 2 American and 2 Chinese vises including a Craftsman Chinese vise where the clearance is no issue.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:01:30 PM
Registered-I

Sign of the times.
Companies with long established histories for high quality products are now selling crappy stuff under the same name and doing major damage to their reputations.
Caveat Emptor.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:45:44 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,518 Posts

Tim
I looked up that model last night, might even have 1 in the to-do pile, but not sure if its an older made in USA or the newer chinese model, if its the newer style the previous owner did not care for it well.........

Looked at a bunch of the Wilton vises currently offered, did not realize there were so many of the "bullet" style, with some priced $1000+
Old 07-11-2017, 08:44:03 AM
Registered-III

"DON'T BLAME THE CHINESE"

I went to China with a friend who imports Chinese stuff and while we were there we went to the Guangzhou trade fair held in China and what amazed me was the good quality stuff available from China ! The problem comes from our stupid western buyers who go to China for one reason only, to buy "CHEAP" ! If our western buyers were prepared to pay about 10% to 20 % more for the things they source out of China we would end up with 100% better quality.

That said, it cheeses me off so much (the rubbish they foist onto us) I only buy Chinese junk if I intend it to be very limited use, if its a "keeper" I buy second hand either US, British, Ausy or European (and maybe some Japanese), and guess what, all my second hand stuff is cheaper and works and lasts better than the cheapo imports. Our western business ethic is make as many dollars as you can any way you can, WELL THEY ARN"T GETTING MINE UNLESS THEY EARN IT !!!!

Last edited by Inter Bloke; 07-11-2017 at 08:58:35 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inter Bloke For This Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 11:23:41 AM
Registered-III

I am sure things are changing. I have talked to many people who have had dealings with chines manufacturers and one thing they are known for is sending very high quality prototypes and then sending junk in the final order. Once they have your cash, it is hard to get any restitution.But what the heck, the Japanese and Germans were known for making some of the best stuff, then the air bag scandal and don't forget VW and the diesel computer thing.

Some day we will be watching a movie and the line will be "Made in china, they make junk", "Oh no! they make the best stuff now!".