Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Wilton vise..booooo

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 1438 times

Old 07-09-2017, 05:20:39 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Wilton vise..booooo

I bought one of these Wilton vises a couple years ago. I think I paid $150 for it. I knew Wilton made quality vises but I was not at all surprised to see made in china at that price. I think as far as cheap vises go this is one of the best. Did you really think for what you paid you were getting anything else???? The american consumer wants name brand at a cheap price. The only way for a company to compete is outsourcing to China. I have noticed in the last 10 years products made in china are getting better. Remember they are just going through there industrial revolution and products should continue to improve. I would bet that even on Wiltons "american made" vises most parts are made elsewhere and shipped in to be "assembled in america".
The Following User Says Thank You to turbo For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2017, 06:12:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,619 Times in 975 Posts

I picked up an expensive Rigid vise that was frozen up. My son has it now, and gosh at the abuse we've put it thru.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:59:12 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,258 Times in 940 Posts

So why should a few chunks of machined cast Iron cost so much?

It is not like a 4 cylinder head with 8 valves and passages for cooling, intake, and exhaust.

A cast iron made in America brake drum costs much less, has as much machining as half a vice, and has much more liability or lawyer cost attached to it then a vice. Or a cast iron disc brake caliper has as much machining and cost much less with the same lawyer tax on it.

I think their costs are way to high, or the price just not realistic.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:34:46 PM
Subscriber

My biggest complain is not the Chinese workmanship, it is the design of the vise all together. Like stated in my first post is that the mounting ears/base circle is just about vertical if not past the fixed jaw to clear the workbench top. Piss poor engineering. I never imagined that there would ever be an issue of this that is why I never researched the blue prints of this vise. I have a few other makes, 2 American and 2 Chinese vises including a Craftsman Chinese vise where the clearance is no issue.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:01:30 PM
Registered-I

Sign of the times.
Companies with long established histories for high quality products are now selling crappy stuff under the same name and doing major damage to their reputations.
Caveat Emptor.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:45:44 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,349 Times in 1,669 Posts

Tim
I looked up that model last night, might even have 1 in the to-do pile, but not sure if its an older made in USA or the newer chinese model, if its the newer style the previous owner did not care for it well.........

Looked at a bunch of the Wilton vises currently offered, did not realize there were so many of the "bullet" style, with some priced $1000+
Old 07-11-2017, 08:44:03 AM
Registered-III

"DON'T BLAME THE CHINESE"

I went to China with a friend who imports Chinese stuff and while we were there we went to the Guangzhou trade fair held in China and what amazed me was the good quality stuff available from China ! The problem comes from our stupid western buyers who go to China for one reason only, to buy "CHEAP" ! If our western buyers were prepared to pay about 10% to 20 % more for the things they source out of China we would end up with 100% better quality.

That said, it cheeses me off so much (the rubbish they foist onto us) I only buy Chinese junk if I intend it to be very limited use, if its a "keeper" I buy second hand either US, British, Ausy or European (and maybe some Japanese), and guess what, all my second hand stuff is cheaper and works and lasts better than the cheapo imports. Our western business ethic is make as many dollars as you can any way you can, WELL THEY ARN"T GETTING MINE UNLESS THEY EARN IT !!!!

Last edited by Inter Bloke; 07-11-2017 at 08:58:35 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inter Bloke For This Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 11:23:41 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,258 Times in 940 Posts

I am sure things are changing. I have talked to many people who have had dealings with chines manufacturers and one thing they are known for is sending very high quality prototypes and then sending junk in the final order. Once they have your cash, it is hard to get any restitution.But what the heck, the Japanese and Germans were known for making some of the best stuff, then the air bag scandal and don't forget VW and the diesel computer thing.

Some day we will be watching a movie and the line will be "Made in china, they make junk", "Oh no! they make the best stuff now!".